458 In Green | FerrariChat

458 In Green

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by beatboy77, Apr 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beatboy77

beatboy77 Karting

Apr 22, 2017
    Colorado Springs
    Just curious of opinions on this. How do you think having a 458 in Verde Signal Green effects value, if at all? Supposedly the only one Ferrari did in this color. So possibly a 1 of 1 car. More difficult re-sale?

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Can you post a pic?

3. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    It definitely weighs on resale value imo. Even if people considering a 458 like the color on the car, they will most likely pass for a red, black, etc car. It’s a very cool color and looks great on Ferraris, but you’re extremely limiting your resale base.

TheDiffuser and docf like this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I would have to agree. That is a very, very personal choice of color. Not going to be an easy resale. But with that said, you would only need one guy who loves it to buy it. And I see that happen more often than I think I would.

For me, I'd pass big time. And I actually have a liking for certain greens. But not that one. Reminds me of a 3.0 Carrera I passed on. Virtually the same color. The 3.0 Carrera was/is a sought after car, but that green on that car was a hard pass.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  5. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
  6. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    Works on Porsche GT cars, but does not look right on the 458 at all IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Clay512TR likes this.
  7. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    It looks to have some Speciale body components and I love carbon fiber but not on the mirrors or gas cap. So the color was at first bad but grew on me a little <g> however still not a personal choice for me. I like my Ferraris stock and the non-458 Italia components are a bigger no for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Was that car sold by Towbin in LV recently? They had a signal green with CF Speciale sills car there. Had a thin CF tail spoiler too.

9. beatboy77

beatboy77 Karting

Apr 22, 2017
    Colorado Springs
    Yes

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #11 ryalex, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    It was there at Towbin for a little bit. I sat in it but didn't test drive it. It was very clean though. Short answer is yes, color affects value, probably $5-10k below silver or red. I think the black trim pieces doesn't necessarily help value either - if all the trim was the same green it would be an easier sell.

I was talking to them with the idea of wrapping it anyway. It's $5k for a full [incl door jambs] wrap.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    IMO I wouldn't touch that car with a 10' pole....much wrong with it.

12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    No question-Looks nice, but you have MARKEDLY LIMITED your resale with this color!

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Those carbon fiber bits don't work at all and the green looks awful. Would work on a GT3 RS or Huracan but not on a 458.

DefunctNeurons and cole328 like this.
  14. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Too much going on with the car when you first look at it. Green works on Lamborghini. I wouldn't ever consider the car.

15. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    I think it’s hideous honestly. I may be a little old school when it comes to F cars, but so much of the beauty of an F car is in the lack of outlandish colors and other accoutrements that just scream “look at me!” McLaren and Lamborghini p,ah that game much better, and it fits those cars.

KC360 FL and Clay512TR like this.
  16. Z356

Z356 Rookie

Mar 8, 2017
    #17 Z356, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    I have followed that car since I first saw it for sale at Ferrari of Newport Beach back in 2013.
    Back then it was being sold as a used car with 2,778 miles in it's odo & for $289K. For your
    information, it's original MSRP was $295,101. So asking was close to it's original MSRP price
    at this early date.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Then in August 2018 I saw it pop up again in Nevada at Towbin now with nearly 32K miles on it's odo & at a $165K asking price.

I have the original order sheet from when it was first sold at Ferrari of Newport Beach dated 1/09/2012.
    Don't ask me how I happen to come upon it...but here it is:

I am primarily a Porsche enthusiast. And I have owned two 'Signal Green' Paint to Sample Porsche models -
    a 2007 997 Carrera S and a 2015 991 gt3. I (z356) write a bit about PTS on the Porsche forum 'Rennlist'.
    Perhaps some of you might recognize my threads there...like this one for example with 1,251,436 views:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r-229/

So I don't have a problem at all with a 'Verde Signal Green' 458. My issues with it when I saw the ad at Towbin
    was the CF Speciale bits and the fact that the wheels were not the original ones. Plus the high miles. The latter
    is common & unsurprising for a used 2012 Porsche 911...but a hard-to-overcome 'negative' in the Ferrari second
    hand market. Or so I am told. I never follow up on the Nevada ad. And then it sold and disappeared from view.

Do you mind telling us what the seller is asking for this 458 & how many miles does it have now? I am just curious.
    As a newbie to the Ferrari world I am not afraid of a 'Verde Signal Green' Ferrari. I recently tried to buy a similar
    'Verde Signal Green' 2017 488 Spider that was first for sale at the 'Ft. Lauderdale Collection'...then 'Bentley Gold
    Coast' in Chicago.

But I couldn't come to an agreement on price with either of the selling parties...so I passed on it.

Apparently, if the conversation in this thread is at all representative of the general sentiment for this
    color in the Ferrari world, there is a limited pool of people that would consider 'Verde Signal Green'
    for their Maranello-built car. So this might work in my favor. So if & when it's new owner of this 488
    Spider is interested in selling it (assuming he/she frequents FerrariChat) I would appreciate you
    contacting me at the email below. The third attempt at buying this car might be 'the charm'. And
    that also applies to any other 'odd' color 488 Spider out there! Please run it pass me to see if it
    might interest me. Thank you.

Saludos,
    Eduardo
    Scottsdale, AZ
    <[email protected]>

G. Pepper, of2worlds and johnr265 like this.
  17. beatboy77

beatboy77 Karting

Apr 22, 2017
    Colorado Springs
    I have decided to pass on the car. The seller said he will list on Ebay soon for $169k

18. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Welcome to Fchat. For those who don’t know, he is a true guru in all things custom in the Porsche/Rennlist world! We welcome your expertise here as well and hope you find that special car.

To all the others, remember that only 5% of F430s were spec’d in a manual and we know what happened there. People hated the ‘shoe’ shape of the ZM coupe and now they are shooting up in value. There was even a factory sunroof 360 (I think it was?) that became desireable though blasphemous initially. There is a Lambo pearl green TDF in my area that is just stunning in person and is almost certainly a 1 of 1. Often, the crazy undesirables now are the rare collectibles of the future. Just sayin’.

elcome to

of2worlds likes this.
  19. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    458-Italia likes this.
  20. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    By the way Eduardo, some day, you owe it to yourself to custom spec a new car. You will think you've died and gone to heaven. Want to deviate the stitch? No problem. Cover it in leather or alcantera or a different color? No problem. Diamond stitch? No problem. Painted, CF, no problem (all for a price of course;)). If you really want to go exotic with special leathers, snakeskin, denim, and whatever crazy thing you can think up, then you need to go Tailor Made but the rest can be done through the dealer. It is only limited by your imagination (and wallet!).

21. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I didn’t think it was possible to make the 458 look bad.......until I saw this post. Yuck. Unfortunately money doesn’t buy class and I know taste is subjective blah blah, but come on. This would definitely destroy a wet dream.

22. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Small world, but I've seen the current owner's social media account.

I never met him in person, but based on the account content, I think the term "hood-rich" is the accurate descriptor...

23. Z356

Z356 Rookie

Mar 8, 2017
    #24 Z356, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Thank you 'johnr265' for that warm welcome to FerrariChat. Indeed I first explored the
    possibility of custom ordering a MY2019 488 Spider last September but it didn't work
    out as planned. Then non-Pista 488 allocations disappeared from production schedules.
    And now we have the F8 Tributo to deal with. I might warm up to the design of this new
    more powerful mid-engine model...but for the moment I am still drawn to the looks of the
    488. Initially I thought of a 458 because of having the last NA motor...but the styling cues
    of the 488 won out in the end...which has not yet been the case with the new F8 Tributo.

In any case, I now spend a few minutes each day seeing what is on offer at the FerrariChat
    classifieds, Autotrader, Cars.c & Car Gurus. As I get more familiar with how the American
    market orders it's Ferraris, and in particular it's mid-engine models, I am surprised by several
    things, of which external color selection features as the singularly most interesting one of the
    lot.

In the US, Porsche dealers have traditionally specced colors on cars in their vast majority.
    So it's not surprising that the selection of inventory was 'safe' colors that were 'sure-sellers'.
    In the Ferrari world, especially at the start of a model cycle, end user customers have total
    control of their custom orders...thus choose their external colors. And what is surprising
    to me is how limited the scope of colors that US customers actually order from Maranello!

A few years ago, we tried to demystify the Paint to Sample ordering process at Porsche.
    And our work at Rennlist led to an explosion of PTS orders that both surprised PAG at
    Zuffenhausen, but also caught them flat footed. And Porsche proved unwilling & unable
    to adjust production to meet the new demand for this once inexpensive PTS option. That
    created shortages that saw a divergence in prices for Porsches (mainly GT models like
    gt3 & gt3 RS) with PTS in historical vintage significant colors (e.g. 'Mexico Blue', 'Signal
    Green', 'Birch Green/Lichtgrün') to those painted in the standard palette offered by the
    company in that model year.

There is no overwhelming demand for PTS at Ferrari at the present time. The inventory
    of Ferraris for sale tell that story! There is also a very limited interest in historical / vintage
    colors that Ferrari still offers for an up-charge of around $12,486 (Dino Rosso, Avorio,
    Verde British Racing, Canna Di Fucile, etc). But there is no shortage of 'Corsa Rosso'
    Ferraris available for sale. There is probably a very good explanation for all of this...and
    a good story waiting to be discovered & told regarding it. Perhaps I should start a thread
    with all I have learned from my research into the fascinating world of Ferrari paint-to-sample,
    historical vintage colors and 'Out of Production' paint colors at this FerrariChat forum. Then
    others could then add to their knowledge of the subject matter & we all could learn from it.

We shall see.

Saludos,
    Eduardo
    Scottsdale

of2worlds and johnr265 like this.
  24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ed - because the guys "riding the wave" of pricing on V8 or limited cars buy red, silver/grey or black because of easy resale. Buy, hold 6-12 months and get out as close to sticker as possible.