458 - 458 Interior Removal | FerrariChat

458 458 Interior Removal

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DoubleD33, Apr 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    #1 DoubleD33, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    I have put together a few PDF's on interior removal. I have more to come but wanted feedback on these to see if any changes are needed. The PDF's are marked up and are flattened on Bluebeam so they should work on Ipad.

In this series there is the Glove box, Passenger Air Bag, and the Drivers Side Binnacle.

Forthcoming are some more trim pieces and switch removal with the same detail and write up.

These are long due to all the pictures. The pictures have important information including screw lengths etc... which should make assembly easy if you bag all the screws per piece.

These would be useful for leather repair, sticky button removal, and a start on HVAC work such as removing the blower motor or the evaporator core.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Bilbo67, Docuk22, Pbl1 and 20 others like this.
  2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Dan, Awesome Awesome, Awesome! Thank you so much for doing this and posting it!

DoubleD33 likes this.
  3. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Great job and excellent write ups.
    Seeing things taken apart and detailed like this takes a great deal of the mystery out of our cars and make DIY projects less scary.
    Thanks for doing this and I hope you continue to write up instructions on other interior parts.

Thanks again,
    Gene Greer

DoubleD33 likes this.
  4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That info is priceless!! THANK YOU!

DoubleD33 likes this.
  5. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Here is another one on the HVAC Panel area removal and Installation.

I should have noted at the start of the thread that you need to be able to open both doors fully along with being flexible to get to all these screws. I worked in a shop professionally for most of the 90's and I still enjoy my own maintenance, but I do have experience. This is not to deter anyone from performing this, but a FYI for those of you that may be on the edge. With that said, half the battle is finding the fasteners then learning how to remove the pieces (which I have already done for you). Screw removal is the easy part if you are good with a ratchet. I also prefer a fine tooth ratchet when doing this work and don't use any power / air tools as these screws are not forgiving if you round out the Allen heads. Fine tooth is important for the tight spaces and Snap On 1/4" drive swivel head model (THNF72) gets my vote as it is a really smooth mechanism and the swivel helps a lot.

Attached Files:

yamashek and Citadel like this.
  6. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Great info, this should be stickied at the top

DoubleD33 likes this.
  7. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    This is for the center vent and satellite removal.

Attached Files:

yamashek and Citadel like this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
  9. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hi Dan,

I just can't get enough of this information.....
    It's like eating potato chips - I can't stop at one :)

I might need to remove the headliner on my 458 spider
    Do you have any advice?

Thanks a million,
    Gene Greer

10. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Nothing planned on the head liner, but I may find a reason to remove it. I need to make sure there is no leather sag. Perhaps a fine tooth comb inspection will necessitate a how to. Lol.

I took out the carpet (in my case Alcantara) and should have done the same documentation for it. The previous owner spilled a latte in it at some point and did a bad job of cleaning it. So I removed it and power washed it. It is super clean and fluffy now.

Glad you are enjoying more to come as I proceed with minor tweaks.

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And here I am, stressing out about changing the menu switch on the left side of my binnacle (should be here in about a week or two), lol. Even though I know it should be easy and straight forward, it's hard not to stress when it's my Ferrari.
    I have to say, for the things that I have taken apart already, the car is designed great and comes apart very nicely. It's not like the 80's and 90's American cars where clips break and fall out, etc. Everything is screwed together nicely, and all the push pins are secure and solid. I'm also very anal about rattles and noises, so anything that I take apart, I use Tesa tape on every touch point, so I only have been improving the car every time I do anything on it.

12. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Have to agree on rattles. I have detailed the left vent removal I just need to do the write up on it. I will try to work on it today. Be prepared there are a lot of small screws and shims on that one. None the less it is easy.

up4speed likes this.
  13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm surprised that there are a lot of little screws on there. After looking at the shop manual, it seems like I just had to remove the binnacle, the lower left fuse box cover with the light switch, and the small trim piece on the left of the steering wheel that's held on by push pins. Then it showed 4 screws to hold the vent assembly in place (remove 2 electrical connectors). Once removed, they showed 2 screws at the top of the switch, holding the switch panel in place on the vent. Did I miss something? Did you maybe mean that there are a lot of little screws and shims involved if I wanted to separate the vent from its housing (as in the work required to replace the silver piece with carbon fiber)? If that's what you meant, then hopefully it's the way I thought it was, so it's even easier!

14. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I did not have a chance to finish the write up as of now. The pictures will make it more clear when i get done but a little more clarification is as follows.

My interior is CF and to Make the Silver trim around the vents align properly There are a lot of 3mm washers they use as shims and they will fall out everywhere if you are not expecting them. If the vents have a good fit from the factory then put them in the same place. If not adjust as necessary.

As to not damage the switch coating since the CF is sharp on the edges I removed the vents and the air flow volume rotary dial to give plenty of room for the wiggling out of the switch.

The center vent is the same but more shims to deal with.

up4speed likes this.
  15. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    @DoubleD33 - You rock again my friend. This info is great!

16. jc888

jc888 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    Amazing write up. Anyone know how to remove the steering wheel turn signal buttons with out having to remove the whole Steering wheel? Did a quick search and didn’t come up with anything.

17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is good stuff.
    It would be great if you could remove the passenger side Binnacle. If you remove the glove box and liner, you're 90% of the way there. At that point it's basically reaching in there with a wrench and removing a few fasteners that hold the binnacle to the dash, and then basically pulling it out.

Here's one that I tried to figure out for a long time, then obtained the information from an exotic auto wrecker that owns a Speciale. The knee brace that is mounted where the glove box is otherwise mounted, is just held on using the same kinds of pins that hold the door covers to the doors. You just get in between there with a plastic tool and gently pry it off from each of the four corners. There are no tricks, no hidden bolts, etc.

GSF355 likes this.
  18. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    You have to remove the two tamper-proof torx head fasteners that are recessed on either side of the steering column cover. There are two plugs covering these holes. Once you remove the fasteners, the airbag cover will come off and you simply pry off the carbon fiber or aluminum cover and remove the switches.

19. jc888

jc888 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017

Thank you for that info!

20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks! It looks like the switch is due to arrive on Monday. I will report back after it's installed.

21. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    Wow!! Thanks much for the documentations !!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DoubleD33 likes this.
  22. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    My week was not friendly for extra circular activity’s. I would be curious as to your experience of the replacement switch. I have not wrenched on enough of these to know if all is the same for all models and years. Spider vs Italia... Friday vs Monday production. Lol.

up4speed likes this.
  23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I installed the switch today. I have to say, it was VERY easy, and dare I say "fun", lol. Everything went perfectly smooth, thanks to your photos and advice. I'm truly grateful for that. I just removed the top binnacle, and it came off very easily. Then the lower left fuse box cover just snaps off, as well as the small dash trim piece to the left of the steering wheel. The whole vent is exposed and ready to remove with only 2 screws (one left and right of the tach) for the binnacle.
    Once that stuff was removed, it was only 4 screws holding the vent assembly in place onto the dashboard. Once I took the two electrical connectors off, and had the whole vent assembly in my hand, the switch only has 2 screws holding it in. One was very easy to access, the other was tucked in the corner and hard to reach. In order to reach this screw, I simply took another 4 little screws off in order to separate the top half and bottom half of the vent surround (it's very obvious when looking at it). Then the new switch installed very easily. Installation was also very simple, and reverse of disassembly. I worked very slowly and carefully and it took me an hour at most.
    I have a few little hints for someone doing this job, or similar job:
    1- Put blue painters tape on any surface that can get scratched in the area that you are working.
    2- Once the fuse box cover is off, it's a pain to take all the connectors off, so just leave the wires attached, BUT, don't hang the cover from the wires. use another wire, or something to hang the cover, keeping the car wiring harness loose.
    3- Before reassembly, put a VERY slight amount of white grease on the metal push pins. This way when you try to pull it apart in the future, the pins work beautifully, and there is no risk of damaging any covers, or pieces.
    4- Any time you take anything apart, put Tesa tape on any of the touch points before reassembly. That stuff works great, and will make the car feel and sound better than new. You will eliminate any rubbing noises, or squeaks or rattles.
    5- Tap, push, and pull on everything, while dash is open. If you hear any vibrations or noises. Locate it and tighten/secure/apply Tesa tape to fix it.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but here are some photos of how it looked before, during, and after the switch change. You will see that the new switch I installed has the Pit Speed knob (it's a long story, but the original switch was replaced with an improper switch by a mechanic while he did me a favor and replaced the whole vent assembly due to a rattle)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Oh no...Sorry for the sideways photos! I don't know how to fix that :(

25. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    @up4speed really good thought on lubricant for the pins. Tape is cheap and scratches are not. I see you have the aluminum interior so I imagine you had less of the smaller shims than my CF. Also did not know the switches came with out the pit speed button. Thanks for sharing and Offering improvements.