458 Italia clicking under braking | FerrariChat

458 Italia clicking under braking

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Challenge, May 4, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I posted this in the 458 section but hopefully will get more technical types' attention here.

About a month ago I noticed a rotational clicking sound coming from the right side of the car as I was braking at a stop sign. Initially I thought it was a stone in the tire. This is best described as a clicking from the front right brake area. It only occurs when braking moderately or heavily. I can brake lightly to a stop without inducing the clicking. The harder the brake pedal is pressed, the louder the clicking. The clicking is rotational and proportionate to vehicle speed.

My brake pads were all between 8.5 and 9.6mm but did have some pock marks and fine spiderweb type cracking. The inner pad on the front right caliper showed some strange chamferring at the bottom edge, but it was not degraded to the point that a straight edge showed any extra wear there. After watching Hollywood Mechanics's videos I decided to replace the all pads with OEM Brembo parts. The noise persisted.

So assuming I had a caliper issue I rebuilt the front right caliper with new piston seals and dust boots. Prior to installation that puppy was spotless. None of the pistons had any imperfections below the dust boot; no rust, corrosion or pitting. After carefully reassembling and torquing everything properly I went for a quick drive. Same damn noise.

To recap, I have:
    1. Replaced all pads with new Brembo pads.
    2. Thoroughly cleaned the hub and rotor mating surfaces (using nothing but a clean, dry microfiber towel on the rotor).
    3. Inspected everything possible: wheel bearing play (none), rotor dust shield looseness, control arm bushings, ball joint, tie rod/steering, drop link, condition of all rubber, brake line routing, speed sensor wiring, brake pad sensor wiring (all neatly zip tied).
    4. Cleaned and rebuilt the caliper with Girodisc seals and dust boots. Hint: Girodisc's 488 kit (28/32/36mm) fit my 458 Italia--not their 458 kit.
    5. Bled the caliper with fresh Motul RBF600.

My best working theory is somehow the pistons are binding in the caliper and not applying even pressure--allowing a pad to slap against the rotor. But the pistons and the caliper bores show no corrosion or strange wear.

Appreciate any ideas.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Svetoslav likes this.
  2. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a Cali T of and have/had an identical issue. RHS, clicking under braking.

I’ve had everything apart, but not gone as far as you with replacement parts. Just cleaned and checked everything as you did.

The one thing I did that seemed to make a difference for a while was with the pins that hold the pads in the caliper. They have a kind of spring band/ring at the end that keep the pins in position. Mine were rusted and binding. I soaked them in vinegar over a couple of days (which is an excellent rust remover) and then lightly smeared with copper grease and the clicking went away for a while. This may not be your issue, but thought I’d share.

I actually just wanted to replace the pins with new ones but they are not available separately from Ferrari parts department (you have to buy the entire calliper). So if anybody knows where I can source those pins (or has a part number) I’d be very happy to hear about it.

3. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is very interesting. Perhaps your slide pins were not driven in all the way? The 458 WSM states the sound will change when tapping these in and they become fully seated.

My new front pads came with new pins, clip and sensor wires. However...the new slide pins were slightly shorter than the original ones--and the indent the anti-rattle clip rides in did not line up with the OEM pins--so I cleaned my old pins and reused them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The pins are definitely driven home & properly seated. I’d really like new ones though.

Considering how simple it is to change out the pins, it might be worth you experimenting with the shorter pins and taking a short drive to see if the noise goes away.

5. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had them in originally before swapping back to the old ones. There was no change for me.

After another recent drive, the sound is going away. Most stops it is silent. Heavy braking from high speeds to < 25mph a slight tick-tick can be heard. I think the inner carbon fiber ring in the rotor, which makes less contact with the new pad design, may have an imperfection and/or pad material is gradually evening out on my rotor's friction surface. I will definitely be regularly exercising the CCBs as intended from now on.