458 Italia vs McLaren MP4 Blighty - The UK press decides | Page 47 | FerrariChat

458 Italia vs McLaren MP4 Blighty - The UK press decides

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JazzyO, Jun 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Whatever it is, Ron Dennis is listening...

http://www.speedlux.com/mclaren-mp4-12c-updated-new-induction-acoustic-kit-system-phwoarr/

Trying to make a bit more noise I guess ... see below...how properly spine-tingling it is we shall all await.

according to the esteemed Mr Metcalfe at Evo magazine (who’s artfully taking the credit for all the changes), the car now delivers “a proper spine-tingling induction roar as each gear pops through”. how proper it is, I remain silent... Turbo engine, let's wait n see if it can match the NA emotions on 458.

Beside this new system, other changes include a lighter, more ‘tactile’ feel for the car’s paddle gear shifts – which originally had a very chunky action akin to the McLaren F1 car set-up – and mods to the steering mounting points designed to improve the feel.

2. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Part of the changes, taken from Autocar:

The changes apply only when the MP4-12C is in Track mode. Many of the tweaks are to the car’s Intake Sound Generator, which controls the amount of noise coming from the engine bay into the cabin. A tube containing a butterfly valve runs from the engine’s plenum chamber to the cabin. The valve now opens wider in Track mode.

“It was a bit too sensible before,” said the spokesman, “You won’t notice the changes in normal mode, just when you’re really having fun and pushing it.”

3. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I would rather have the Ferrari over the McClaren even though the McClaren has the cooler doors and not as many on the road as Ferraris.

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Ferraris are beautiful. Macs are too sterile.

5. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    Saw this on AutoCar's website... http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/mclaren-mp4-12c-sound-video-review/

It does sound louder/more agressive inside the car (compared to the other videos I've seen). Of course, this mod doesn't change the external engine note, which is still hushed by the turbos.

It's better, but it still doesn't sound like the naturally aspirated Ferrari.

6. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    #1156 calitalia, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    I suspect most of us 99.999% of the time will drive with our doors closed for safety purpose. Hence, unless you drive with the doors opened, the doors are a minute part of the whole driving experience.

On looks, sterile is an apt adjective for Macca. Ferrari is much more organic, much more human and much more stylish. The Mac is beyond sterile. It looks like a product completely designed on simulators using computers and softwares. Looking at the factory with the white floors and hospital interiors, I find the environment high tech yet cold.

It suddenly reminded me of an old favourite of mine's... Rocky IV with Rocky Balboa versus Dolph Lundgren.

One was classic, humanly old fashioned style training and the other was purely high tech machines lab style training. At the end of the day, Rocky still took home the trophy and defended the title... despite using old logs and bicycles/sit ups pushups to train. I like a more human approach. The 458 flows and has sexiness all over while the Mac is too purposeful. Hence, lacking emotions and the human side and character. Still a great car though. Just gone up against something more brilliant to me as the 458 to me is the better car.

7. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Anyone seen any results from these "tweaks?"

8. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    Wow - such a profound blurb! You must be yoda!!

Opinions r like ********............