Wanted - 458 Italia | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Wanted 458 Italia

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by mcavinder, Apr 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To be honest, I'd say the 458 deserves a 50% premium over the 430, all else equal. But with these 458 prices you're in striking range of a 488 which, on paper, is a superior car. Delete the cats and install an x-pipe on a 488 and its not too bad.

ferraridreamer32 likes this.
  2. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    BTW: Please tell me I am not the only one who noticed the fervor and market appreciation a year ago vis-à-vis the F430 and "the last gated Ferrari"? It almost feels forgotten now that the 458 is worshiped as "the last NA Ferrari". Once Ferrari's are all battery (i.e. coal) powered the 488 will be hailed as "the last Ferrari that can give the enthusiast the filling station experience"! This may me an opportune time to short Conagra (the maker of Slim Jim's) I suppose.

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Not a big deal
    The early models sound much better IMO

4. gastogo

gastogo Rookie

Jul 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    sayeed
    Newbie here and question to the group. I am curious as to what the consensus is on anytime of body work that has been to a 458 and how it affects the value if performed and noted on the carfax. I viewed a 458 with pics of paint work and a bumper replacement due to a gouge that it received from someone backing into it in a parking lot. I was provided pics of the damage and the receipt of the bodywork at a cost of $6.6K but am wondering how to view this in terms of the value of the car and what to potentially to look out for.

5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    10-20% probably closer to 10 for provable parking lot damage as opposed to being t boned and calling it parking lot damaged.

The biggest thing is... When you go to sell it on later it becomes quite the pain

6. gastogo

gastogo Rookie

Jul 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    sayeed
    Thank you sir, and greatly appreciate the info as I would like to get into one of these F cars but am concerned about any diminished value and what I would be up against if/when I sell it. I received pictures of the damage, the final bill of repairs, and the documentation from the insurance company but was concerned about the mark on the carfax as I want to explain what happened.

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The biggest thing to know is that you will eliminate a large pool of buyers. Probably close to 90%. Also don't pay extra... So if it's a 2015 could with 3k miles. That's a very collectible car and a collector will not want a car with a story. It will be hard to sell for good money.

Now it it's a 2012 with 25k miles. It's not not as big of an obstacle but will still be in that 10-20%. And really probably 15-20 percentage

IloveGT likes this.
  8. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do you mind posting the repair bill, redacting sensitive info?

9. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm not convinced the 458 is collectable, but if so the owner of the 2015 458 "collectable" (Speciale or other) with 3k miles wouldn't make a $7k claim through insurance... it would be the cost-of-business or stupid-tax for driving such a collectable.

10. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    True, just make sure they didn't reflash the ECU!

Oengus likes this.
  11. ferraridreamer32

May 3, 2014
  12. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    That interior would be nice if the dash and steering wheel were black and not cuoio. You'll get a lot of sun glare with that spec.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. Michael8888

Michael8888 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2019
    Free Republic of Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
  14. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
  15. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
  16. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

#68 NuorderSG, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    It depends.....if it's a "driver's" car, well maintained by Ferrari, and repaired to factory spec with all OEM parts, then, I don't believe there is much of a discount. Why would there be?

Thought, I would question a $6K bumper repair... the bumpers are usually replaced at much, much more. Unless it was repaired by a Ferrari race team affiliated shop such as Scuderia Corsa....and they don't cater to the general public. No chance.

The last thing anyone wants is the flex on the bumper at high speeds distintegrating a poorly repaired bumper cover. The front bumper covers are flimsy and not easily repaired to OEM spec....unless it's by a Ferrari affiliated race team shop. Ask me how I know.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. gastogo

gastogo Rookie

Jul 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    sayeed
    Appreciate the insight. The repair was not done by a Ferrari shop, so just a local "chain" body shop IMHO. There is the possibility that the bumper was replaced by a used Ferrari bumper, but I am still attempting to validate. Given the below repair, what factors do I need to take in consideration? Thank you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. gastogo

gastogo Rookie

Jul 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    sayeed
    I was finally able to get the photos to load. Here are the pics of the damage:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

One grey one black? ...or is it the reflection? Confused.

In any case, depending on the work, it doesn't appear to be in a critical area. I would inquire on the nature of the work: Just filler and sand/ finish? Polymer "welding," fiberglass/ carbon sheets? If it's just filler, don't expect it to last long looking good and negotiate the price down for a new bumper:. It doesn't have to be OEM if you just want it to be functional and look good....plenty of options out there for under $5K

In any case, I would be more concerned if the damage was lower down or on the sides where there is fragile metal to plastic bonding on some large metal "clips" that fit up against the headlights.

Also, based on the repair order, I don't believe the bumper was replaced. If the car has sensors, get the bumper replaced, with OEM Only, and negotiate the price accordingly.

20. gastogo

gastogo Rookie

Jul 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    sayeed
    Thank you. Not sure what the black and grey is, maybe primer or paint from the car that backed into it as the bumper, I believe, was gray. The bumper does have sensors and was going to check to determine if they work. Also, one of the marker lights was out so wanted to inquire on that as well. I am assuming to get a PPI at Ferrari given all of this? The car has approx. 11K miles on it, with full carbon inside, so any thoughts on pricing?

21. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Market prices....

22. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

With the sensors, it's unlikely you'll be able to get an aftermarket bumper that would fit and meet OEM spec. The PPI, if done at Ferrari will tell you if the sensors are functional. ( Ferrari usually doesn't call it PPI, btw...but more of a "maintenance assessment/ inspection"). If not functional, then you need to decide if it matters to you. If not, just negotiate the price of down at $5K - $7K for a decent aftermarket bumper. If the sensors matter, then you need to see how much you can get the seller to reduce their price. The OEM bumper is ~ $10K - $15K, for sensors add another ~$2K. Most sellers would likely just sell to someone who doesn't care about the sensors and be done with it, rather than reduce the price even more.

Not sure what you mean by lights...but if the crystals) lenses are broken..that's something you'll need to factor in as those will need to be replaced. You can just check at Algar in Philly for a price.

Again, it all depends on what you want. There is a very nice 458 here with high mileage for about $160K or you can get Donald Trump's F430 Ferrari at PCA auctions...ending Monday for low $100ks last I saw. Low mileage and looks gorgeous and in great shape. I would rather get that than a 458 beater with a poor maintance history.

...but if you do want a 458 to just drive and enjoy, then I wouldn't worry too much about the cosmetic stuff. That can be fixed over time if you are on a budget. - and it would feel more comfortable modding a "driver's" car rather than museum piece.

Though, make sure the mechanicals are good and buy a good service warranty ( abt $5k per year)