458 Launch Control method | FerrariChat

458 Launch Control method

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TheDiffuser, Jun 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Ive tried the launch control feature in my 458 and have read the manual (Ive posted the manual wording at the bottom of this post).

For those in the know, can you comment on the best method to use LC? The manual says for the final stage:

- press the accelerator pedal and release the brake pedal.

It doesnt mention how many RPMs to go to, how long to hold it at those RPMs before releasing etc.

The user manual also doesnt mention having to have the Manettino in Race mode - but Ive read elsewhere thats the setting it should be in?

Ive tried it in Auto - before I read the manual fully- and LC seemed to work fine. However Ill only do LC using the manual function going forward. I tried manual the other day and it seemed quite hard to change gears before hitting the rev limiter. When I tried LC in Auto it was easier.

Any tips appreciated. New F car owner btw, hence these questions.

Thanks.

Launch Control

The “Launch Control” mode is a performance start function. Activating this function optimises vehicle acceleration from a standing start.

The device, which is not available when the Manettino is set to
    the “Low grip” driving mode, transfers the necessary torque to the ground and avoids skidding of the wheels during acceleration.

To start the vehicle in “Launch Control” mode, do the following:

• - the vehicle must be stationary
    • - the gearbox must be in “Manual” mode
    • - hold the brake pedal down and select first gear
    • - press the LAUNCH L button on the left of the centre console: an acoustic signal informs the driver that the device has been switched on and the word “launch” appears on the gearbox display

• - press the accelerator pedal and release the brake pedal.

2. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    It revs to the required revs.... left foot on brake, press launch, right foot on accelerator, release left foot and let the car shift first gear for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Ok so to be clear, you DO have to manually shift all gears in launch control, with the gear paddles? When I did it the car seemed to rev limit in 1st gear, and I had to upshift to 2nd.

When I used LC in Auto, it seemed to perform as it should, except the gears changed automatically. Was a lot easier for this newby to use!

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Why would you test LC Rob ?

In the yearly print-out of my Ecu's it is says that my 2012 LC was used ZERO times … and it will stay so …

5. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    >>my 2012 LC was used ZERO times … and it will stay so

Why would one buy a multi hundred thousand euro/dollar car and not try it one time? Isn't this one of the very unique features you pay Ferrari for?

SVR, dustman and sfcorse like this.
  6. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Completely agree. I like to use my car and have fun with it. I use LC as I find it fun. The car can handle it. I don't really care if LC comes up on the ECU!

dustman likes this.
  7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Well, each to is own, I agree.

I want it for speed …… :) GPS of course … real speed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Man, these cars should be launched 1000 times! A Porsche turbo S can be launched 50 times a day just for breakfast so why can't a Ferrari. Please don't say its inferior because its not.
    For the life of me I cant understand some owners that buy these cars and never explore them fully. Its like having a super hot girl as my girlfriend and just look at her and never ride her good exploring all the functions ;)

Gon and Afonsolaw like this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Some owners believe using the LC will somehow cause premature wear and stress on clutch and other transmission components. Although a valid point in the past up to the F1 in the F430, with dual clutch transmissions, that is no longer the case.

Other owners refrain from using the LC, believing the car won't go from 1st to 2nd on its own and are afraid to hit the rev limiter and somehow cause any unwanted stress to the engine.

All myths. LC is a great feature, both fun and efficient to use. The 458 and the 488 are a very, very, VERY long way from the F1 clutches and gearboxes found in the 355, Modena and F430.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Afonsolaw, TheDiffuser and Melvok like this.
  10. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Went for a drive this morning and found out the following:

in Race mode it will shift automatically! So basically you just have to worry with the road, the car will shift for you even if you are in manual mode. In the other two modes it’s manual (CT off and everything off) so you have to shift yourself or you hit rev limit.

Chadly likes this.
  11. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Interesting. What happens in Wet and Sport modes. I've driven mine in auto while using LC and later discovered it's supposed to be done using manual gear changes.
    Anyone know what the full story is on LC? Owners book is brief and a lot of different online opinions.

12. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey

I'd strongly advise that you use Launch control carefully and not overdo it. It takes a huge toll on many components when you floor the gas of a +600hp car from a standstill. While todays supersport car's gearboxes are very solid, I've seen many Porsches brake suspension/drivetrain parts on track while accelerating from slow corners

13. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Seriously? That doesn't sound fun and I'm sure track cars take a real beating. But I've been advised (by Ferrari dealer and race driver folk), that using LC - occasionally - is not going to hurt the car at all.

14. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    As I said.. don't overdo it, meaning you don't want to stress the car too much doing launches too many times in a row. Don't forget that even dedicated race cars mostly start races with a rolling start. The reason for this is mainly safety but also to avoid mechanical failures right at the start.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  15. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    I’ve
    I’ll try to polish and occasionally wax before engaging race mode.

Chadly likes this.
  16. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I don't care. I'm going to use PS until my car breaks then I'll start a gofundme account to pay for the repairs when it breaks. :cool:

Ck10022 likes this.
  17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley