458 lowering questions, need help. | FerrariChat

458 lowering questions, need help.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by secondsole, Nov 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'd like to lower my 458 coupe, it HAS the front lifter. My dealer is telling me I have to use Novitech springs and it will cost 3500 - ouch. I've read some of the old posts, can't find a price on this, what have you guys paid, and what method did you use to lower? I don't want to slam it, just take an inch, or less off. Thanks in advance.

2. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I think you may lower it up to 20-25mm max without adding springs. But it may be a problem if your suspension is old and the treads may lock. Just check with your dealer

3. monacodibaviera

monacodibaviera Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CD
    Novitec springs are ~$1,700 (same part with and without the lift) plus whatever labor is at the dealer/bodyshop to get them installed. But shouldn't be 1,800 in labor. Did they quote you a price for the parts and if so what is it? 3,500 all in seems high.

I just ordered my springs and spacers today so will have a better sense of total cost incl installation when it's all done.

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    With the lifter, you can't lower it more than 15 mm from Euro spec height. Some say that US cars ride higher, but not sure.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Looks like the 458 has coilovers. Why can't you adjust the perches and lower the car that way? That is how all other Ferraris I have worked on work. The bigger question with lowering is what does that do to the bumpsteer character of the car? You can actually make a car handle worse by lowering too much. You can also run out of shock travel and make your handling worse too.

6. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    You can get 15mm with the stock coil over springs adjusting the perches...that's about 1/2". You need the novitec to go 30mm or more. If you go too much, you can make the tire impact the fender edge if the wheels are turned out and you hit a bump. The springs are 1730 and the labor at my dealer was 1500. That's does not include alignment
    ...another 500. Welcome to Ferrari service. The car handles better with the springs and would surely perform better at the track with stiffer and Lower springs.

7. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Christian's got is covered, follow his info! :)

8. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    I want to lower mine as well, can I go to the dealer to adjust the perches to lower it 15mm?

9. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Yes, if you have the lift system that is the maximum you can lower it on the stock
    springs, if you want to lower it more than 15mm and you have the lift system then
    you have to install Novitec springs.

best

10. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
  11. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Anybody know how many turns of the perches are required front and rear to maintain factory rake to bring a standard spider down to something sensible.....?

12. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Colin, I would not lower the car on stock coils as to lower it enough so that it
    looks good there will not be many threads left on them and even though the chance
    is quite slim the last thing you want is the suspension to bottom out on you.

I recommend you purchase the Novitec lowering springs for safety, flexibility, and peace
    of mind and then lower her 25-30mm in the front and 15-20mm in the back.

best

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    It's not so easy. Here's what I've been told.

I believe the "universal" stock ride height is as follows.

Front 139.4 mm +/- .5 mm
    Rear 165.8 mm +/- .5 mm

This is measured at the four frame corners at the casting hole, whatever that means.

You need to start by measuring the current height, and then put the car at factory spec. Besides stock height, I believe Ferrari have some recommended min and max ride heights a dealer can implement depending on the local road conditions etc. Take the car to your dealer, and see how far you are from minimum factory recommended height. You have to remember that every car is different, so that's pretty much how it's done. Each time the suspension is changed, you also have to measure the car on the ground. You can't just say, 4½ turns will do so-and-so, it depends on the particular car. When you know how much you can lower your car and keep the stock rake, that's the time to find out whether or not you want to proceed with lowering springs.

14. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1

It is not easy to get a car lowered an exact value as the variables DK308 mentions, and
    others, affect the spec.

Fyi it took me about 10 adjustments spanning over a year to get my stance right.

I would recommend putting the Novitec springs and seeing were the car sits without
    even touching the coils. The Novitecs lower the car about 30mm overall so it should be
    enough. If you still want to lower her more you can give the coils a few turns after the new
    springs have been installed

best

15. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
  16. United458

United458 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Really happy with Novitec - an extra half inch makes all the difference

17. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    More like an inch if you go the standard 30mm drop. I'm glad I went with them too.

18. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Ok guys, thanks for the information, much appreciated......will add the novitec springs to my Santa list!

19. 430-Scuderia

430-Scuderia Karting

Oct 20, 2008
    Netherlands
    #19 430-Scuderia, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    Great shot!