458 michelin tire question | FerrariChat

458 michelin tire question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kiryu, Sep 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Hi guys, the factory 458 uses 295/35/20 for the rears, and MPSS comes in this size. The new pilot sport 4S has great reviews (supposedly wears longer, more quiet and has better wet traction) and is actually cheaper but only comes in 285/35/20, which will result in a very small 0.2" drop in tire height.

Would you go for the better tire with a size smaller? will the handling characteristics be affected much? Just curious to know if anyone tried or thought on this. Thanks

2. LCW

LCW Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    South Florida
    "tire height" do you mean to say width?

I just had the same dilemma and ended up replacing the tires with MPSS to get the exact spec... plus they are K1.

3. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    yes of course the reduction in width by 10mm, but you also lose 0.2" in the tire height because of 285x35%x2 vs 295x35%x2...that will have very slight changes to the speedo. And yes the K1 possibly has some improvements specific to the car that i will never know about. Thanks for your feedback!

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    MPSS is not the same as Michelin Pilot Sport, you miss the Super qualification imo.

So MPSS is one stage better ...

Get the 305 width ! But is the K3 (Ferrari homologation version) now available ?

5. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Hi Melvok,

I did check....305 is available for MPSS but not for MP4S. MP4S is the new version that replaces MPSS. MP4S has the fronts but for the rears one would have to settle for a 285 instead of the OE 295

6. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can't imagine you'll really notice much of a difference in normal driving regardless of choice.

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Have to agree.

Switched from PZeros to MPSS. BIG DIFFERENCE.

dschaak likes this.
  8. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I have the 4S upgrade from MPSS on a couple other cars, and while I have yet to feel the handling improvements I can definitely feel the new MPS4S tires are a lot quieter - one car has new MPSS and 1 car has new MPS4S at roughly 2 months apart....yes they are on different cars but i am pretty certain the MPSS is a bit harsher in ride quality and noise

dschaak likes this.
  9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Performance wise, unless you are at the limit on track I doubt you'll notice any difference. Speedo will have slight inaccuracies, but they are inaccurate from the beginning anyways so I'd say that's a non factor too.

My biggest concern would be is that the lip of your wheel might be a bit more exposed with a smaller tire. If you have a habit of curbing your wheels, the exposed lip will be extra vulnerable and take alot more damage when you make contact with a curb.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Wy not get the MPSS in 295 then ... :D

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The MPS4S exists in the size for 458, even in K1 for the rear:
    http://www.michelin.fr/pneus/pneu-auto#type=type_3&width=295&ratio=35&radial=20&load=101&speed=zr(y)&selectedFitment=complete&selectedFilter=summer&zp=false&usage=0
    http://www.michelin.fr/pneus/pneu-auto#type=type_3&width=235&ratio=35&radial=20&load=92&speed=zr(y)&selectedFitment=complete&selectedFilter=summer&zp=false&usage=0
    Not sure about the impact of mixing regular/front with K1/rear (typically K1 would have a softer compound).
    This rear tyre (K1) is actually for the GTC4Lusso, that's why it has a higher load (105 vs 101 for the 458); the GTC4Lusso has 245 tyres in front, that's why the 235 K1 does not exist.

12. LCW

LCW Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    South Florida
    I could not find the 4S in the US based site in the exact sizes for the 458, so ended up getting the MPSS.