458 Mileage Sensitivity | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 Mileage Sensitivity

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RT964, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    It's all good. Make sure buy the colors you like and post the pictures later.

2. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well, what a difference a day makes ...

Had a beautiful bright sunny day here yesterday - perfect for driving a convertible with the roof down. Or so I thought. I must admit to being terribly disappointed by the drive of the Spider with the roof down. Unless the road surface was very smooth, the scuttle shake and vibration through the steering wheel was terrible. I even cut the test drive short it was that bad.

So, the good news is that I know that I'm only interested in a 458 Coupe (and I think I've found a good one to buy). The bad news is that the dealer also persuaded me to test drive their 600LT Spider. This has thrown a huge curve ball into my thinking as the driving experience was a complete revelation ... driving the same roads that were so bad in the Ferrari was completely different - no scuttle shake, no vibration through the steering wheel, just a very composed, compliant ride - and the acceleration was other-worldly !

3. Franchise1450

Franchise1450 Karting

Apr 20, 2019
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Franchise1450
    Interesting to hear about the UK vs US. It is definitely a buyers market here, i had about 5-10 cars to chose from nationally before i took the plunge (my first Ferrari and best decision i have ever made !!!). I chose mostly based on options more than anything as everything i was looking at was under 10K miles. Even for a 2 year factory warranty for free.

You know where i am at from my response, go lower miles. And COUPE ALL DAY LONG. So that seems to line up perfectly with your choices. The see through engine bay is a work of art, i think the car is half as cool without this, no one else int he world has a car like this, basically. It's part of the heart and soul of this car, has been since the 360 came out, and was clearly designed to be a coupe in my opinion at least.

4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    ~10 years of R&D and industry advancements / being 10 years newer will do that...

RT964 likes this.
  5. Franchise1450

Franchise1450 Karting

Apr 20, 2019
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Franchise1450
    STAY WITH THE PRANCING HORSE!!! McClarens do absolutely nothing for me. No heart and soul! I respect what they have done but just not for me.

6. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yep, that is exactly what I'm intending to do. I like how the McLaren drives, but it doesn't have the all round theatre of the 458. Am homing in on a particular car ... watch this space.

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Richard …. only buy after an official PPI was done !

FYI: a real PPI can only be conducted by a FERRARI DEALER. No-one else.

This PPI delivers aan official Ferrari document and looks at 199 different points.

May cost you max of $ 500. And will be kept by Ferrari as moment of throught …

It may also serve to get extra insurance on the engine and rest of the car.

Let us know how you went on …

Good luck with the hunt for your dreamcar !

8. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Really???

9. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    lol ... no sh !t

I looked over the one I bought. Took it for a test drive. It only had 8,900 miles. If it drives right, no CEL's (check engine lights), what could really be wrong? These are new cars with modern technology, quit worrying. I assume when mine hits 100k miles, it will still run fine with no issues.

10. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Guess who's just bought their first Ferrari ... 2011 Italia in Rosso Corsa over Nero interior. Only done 8700 miles.

Just need to figure out the best way to add pictures. What's the recommended way of doing it ?

PTG1 and C50 like this.
  11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Congrats!

The tabs under the response typing window has an 'upload a file' button. Click that then drop your pic file in.

12. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Let's see if this works then ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LVP488 and italiafan like this.
  13. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Forget Mclaren, while they are great cars..what sounds, behaves & has the heritage of Ferrari 458?

RT964 and jomarti1 like this.
  14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Great choice! Beautiful car. Drive it often in good health and welcome to the addiction;)

15. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Great video! Where is your drive taking place? Beautiful. I might have to move there :)

Tarek307 likes this.
  16. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Congrats on the car! Good choice.

I think the whole stigma associated with mileage will change significantly with the 458+. These are not 308’s. Ferrari continues to come a long way in terms of being a mass manufacturer. Mass Ferrari’s are no longer “uh oh it’s now 10k it’s gonna have problems” types of cars. As more and more 458’s and f12’s and others in great condition sell for healthy prices with 10/20k+, as the years go by 30k+ etc...the market will adapt.

17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great looking ride

18. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Socal ;)

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  20. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    I'm with you. For me the spec was important since I plan to keep the car a long time - and drive it. But I wanted one that didn't leave me "unfulfilled" in the spec department. So, I'd go for the one spec'd the closest to my taste and not sweat the $20k.

PTG1 likes this.
  21. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Snap ! Although I think you’re background is slightly more glamorous than the dealers car park where I took the picture.

Looks like your side sills were also painted/wrapped in black - have you got any side on pictures or close up of the sills ? Something I may consider getting done when it’s ppf’d.

22. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thank you. Plan is to pick it up next weekend. It's going to be a loooong week ;)

23. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks to you both :)

24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Richard, again congratulations. You’re going to love the Italia. I’m on my second one (missed the 1st one too much). I’m out of town now and I was driving my rental when a 458 pulled up at the light. You know I admired its stance/look so much and then woke up and remembered that I was lucky enough to have one waiting for me at home :). Crazy, but to me it’s one of most beautiful Pininfarina designs ever produced.

jomarti1 likes this.
  25. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I agree, there are so many angles and profiles that just look so right. Washing it is going to be a pleasure !

Luckily I’m in South Africa in business all this week, so at least I’ll be very busy to keep my mind off the wait.