458 models' rwhp | FerrariChat

458 models' rwhp

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458trofeo, May 31, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    anyone ever dynoed their 458 to know what the rwhp of their 458 is?

road and track states 497 rwhp for the italia in the video (end of video at around 6:48)

if heard of variable numbers though, as low as 427 whp, and a spider putting out 470 rwhp: why do the numbers vary so much?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOU9uOtAWI]Tested: Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs Ferrari 458 Italia vs McLaren MP4-12C - YouTube[/ame]

2. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    The numbers vary because no two dynos are exactly the same. I believe its the Mustang dyno that is ALWAYS low.

On two different dynos my old e39 M5 had numbers of 365 and 330, only one week apart.

Other things like humidity and temperature can also throw off dyno numbers.

3. EODoc

EODoc Guest

I am getting ready to dyno mine on a brand new Dynojet 424 with the linx system. I'll post video as soon as its done.

4. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    #4 Evan.Fiorentino, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    hmmm numbers seem very variable from dyno to dyno, i guess this means that there
    is no definite way to tell the exact whp...

6. EODoc

EODoc Rookie

Jun 7, 2013
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Full Name:
    Rob
    There is no question the Dynojet makes the best dynos. The DynoJet 424 series in particular are very accurate and consistent. In addition to my 458 I also have a stock 2011 SLS and we just recently put it on the dyno and got exactly what its rated at the factory. Below is the video of the pull, we will be doing my stock 458 very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doTDIYRXjdU

7. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Actually i disagree. I own a mustang MD1100 SE AWD and i can do 5 runs on the same car and the only difference in HP will be from heat soak on the engine itself. The dynojets i've owned and used have never been as consistent. People just don't like mustang dyno's are because they feel that the numbers are too low.

8. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Fabspeed makes sense when considering crank vs rwhp. As a matter of fact it really appears a relatively "small" loss.Best

9. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Evan, you seem to be getting Hugh increases in power (of 68 HP) over the stock 458. How is that possible on a naturally aspirated engine that's been tweaked to such high levels already by Ferrari? I can understand the possibilities with a turbo motor but your numbers look a little too high right across the the whole chart to be believeable.

Are you getting check engine lights with the high flow cats or headers?

I would love to here from anyone here if they have installed the Fabspeeds system to their 458 to get their real world perspective of the system.

10. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Looking forward to your video. The SLS is a great car!

11. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Yeah ~60 ft lbs and ~80 hp starting from base numbers of ~300 ft lbs and ~450 hp seem pretty dramatic. Ferrari left 20% torque on the table when it made its $300K car that could be remedied with different exhaust and ECU flash? Seems incredible to me.

And 450 rwhp on a 570 hp-rated car is low; I'd expect to see 480-500 range.

I'd have to see numbers on an independent, third-party dyno that I can trust, as I have never seen those kinds of percentages for any NA car.

I hope I am wrong, as those are impressive numbers

12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    The 458 trapped higher than the McLaren or ZR1?

Not a chance.

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I did not want to resurrect the "ringer" debate, as that has been discussed ad nauseum.

14. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Dyno conditions vary as do the engines themselves from example to example. The common rule of thumb is 15% loss from the shaft through the drivetrain to the wheels. This suggests that 562 x 0.85 = 478 hp is to be expected. The R&T measurement of 497 may be a bit high (some say that Ferrari always sends "ringers" to tests but that is another thread). The Fabspeed number of 451 may be a bit low, but in making mods it is the difference that counts.

15. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    I think the "ringers" that certain manufacturers are suspected of sending to the magazines are simply cars whose ECUs are ideally tuned for the test location's best available fuel (whether that be 91, 93, E10, E15, etc.), elevation and weather conditions. Customers' cars, meanwhile, are more conservatively tuned for the various fuel quality and driving conditions found all over the world.

If true, is it cheating? It's a bit of a grey area, IMO. The car is simply running the best it can, likely as good as it was when designed and tested at the factory. That said, customers' cars do not benefit from optimized tuning...some will run faster, some slower depending on location. Now, if we're talking about a test car having higher compression, head work, different cams, more boost, etc., then that's obviously a cheater/ringer car. Personally, I don't think the latter happens to often these days.

16. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    #16 jcosta79, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've seen 50+ RWHP gains on Corvette Z06's with just headers, cold air intake and a tune.

It's totally possible.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. EODoc

EODoc Rookie

Jun 7, 2013
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Full Name:
    Rob
    We looked at getting a Mustang dyno but after doing some research we found that some of the local shops were having issues with them. And when we found out that both Underground Racing and AMS both pulled their Mustangs in order to go with new Dynojets we made the decision to go with Dynojet as well. Hennessey also uses Dynojet. I can't say anything bad about Mustang from personal experience but all the big guys seem to be using the Dynojet dynos.

18. EODoc

EODoc Rookie

Jun 7, 2013
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #18 EODoc, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    With cars in the HP range we are talking, we typically get at least a 50 RWHP increase with just a tune alone. The cars are not tuned for optimum power from the factory. Brenton recently got almost a 60 RWHP increase from a tune alone on my stock Camaro ZL1. Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi0G1XECR_s

This was a stock ZL1 (well, kinda only the CATS were removed which might be worth an extra 2 hp at best). Went from 493 RWHP to 552 RWHP and the air fuel line was much improved as you can see from the video.

19. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I agree. And aftermarket sources such as Fabspeed/EVOMs and Novitec claim these kinds of gains for the 458. You may lose some low speed torque due to lower back pressure, but you will more than make it up in the mid and upper RPM range. So some driveability penalty may be in the cards. More importantly you will likely have an emissions test problem and void the warranty if it is still in effect.

20. EODoc

EODoc Rookie

Jun 7, 2013
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Isn't it 15% loss for manual tranny and closer to 20% loss for automatics?

21. EODoc

EODoc Rookie

Jun 7, 2013
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Can you show us your air/fuel line?

22. HGMOTORSPORTS

HGMOTORSPORTS Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Every dyno will read different from another dyno, even if it made by the same manufacturer. The Dyno Jet dyno's are one of the most notorious for reading the highest, then Mustang, then Dyno Dynamics, etc, etc...

But at the end of the day all of the dyno's serve 1 great purpose.. And that is to show you the amount of power gained.

23. EODoc

EODoc Rookie

Jun 7, 2013
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I can't speak for other brands but I have had two DynoJets so far and there has been almost no difference in results between them. And I am not so sure if Dynojets read high or if its just that most people are putting up the STD numbers instead of the SAE numbers. The lower SAE numbers that come off the Dynojet have been spot on what manufacturers report their stock power, perhaps its because they are using Dynojets too.

24. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    PM me and I will be happy to put you in contact with one of our previous customers that had the performance package done.

25. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Just for everyones edification I race a Fabspeed tuned 458 in a half mile airfield event from 40mph and he beat me by about 5 car lengths. The track was clean and we both hooked up perfectly. Not sure how much horsepower it would take to do that, but I'd say 50 at a minmum.