458 OpenFlash Tablet...Its Magical!! | FerrariChat

458 OpenFlash Tablet...Its Magical!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by simmadwn, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Happy New Year Friends!!

OpenFlash Performance - OpenFlash Tablet for Ferrari 458

This is a long time due review...I drive a 458 Spider and just like many of you, I was displeased with the exhaust sound and missing pops, crackle and burbles after a s/w update.

My first step was to get an after market exhaust - after hearing many exhausts, IPE F1 with HighFlow Sport Cats sounded best to my ears. James McKibben with Vivid Racing gave me the best pricing and amazing customer support/service...Handsdown!!

Secondly, was to look into tuning options to bring back the burbles and some added performance. OpenFlashPerformance was my best bet since I live in the Bay. Called Shiv and spoke about the product and what it can do. That weekend I stopped by Shiv's house to hear his car and also get the ECU s/w revision on my car. My car's s/w version was not available in the data bank so we had to remove the ECU to get that loaded.

Shiv recommended TheRacersLine(TRL) - https://www.theracersline.com/ for my exhaust install and also removing the ECUs. Neal is an amazing guy - very knowledgeable, patient and detail oriented. My exhaust was hooked up and Shiv loaded both ECU's in the DataBank. Neal did a fabulous job with the exhaust install..he was very meticulous and OCD with the install..me being OCD as well, LOVED IT!! :)

Once the DataBank was ready, Shiv stopped by my house to flash our 1st Tune. Noticed a difference instantly. From there on, we did multiple tunes to cater to my liking over a period of 2 months. Shiv was very patient and took the time to explain the nuances of each parameter he changed - its overwhelming but, Shiv dummies it down so that it make sense to any novice :) He is highly talented and a great teacher as well. He created 7 different tunes to get everything dialed in to my taste and driving characteristics.

I am TOTALLY in love with the way my car handles and sounds after the final tune. Tune coupled with the exhaust is just mind blowing. Shiv's product is a must have for any Ferrari enthusiast who wants to explore beyond factory limitations. Customer Service and standing behind his product -Shiv does full justice. He is very responsive, humble and highly focused on keeping his customer base happy and content.

I am more than happy to demo my car for anyone living in the bay and considering OFT....you wont be disappointed!!

Thanks a lot Shiv for an amazing product. Words cant express the joy every time I drive my car..its savage af!!

Good Luck and Have an Amazing Year Ahead:)

James

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have used Shiv before, and I am going to be in touch with him in the next couple of days. I probably have a different idea about what I want my 458 to be (my only desire is to make the throttle more linear and less touchy), but I'm glad to hear that your car is now the way you want it to be.

3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Great review, but you forgot the link! https://www.openflashtablet.com/

He doesn't make a product for my 308 ;), but I do have the Open Flash Tablet tune on my 2017 Mazda MX-5, and it transformed the nature of the engine - throttle response, linearity, quicker revving, more power. Amazing.

I've known Shiv for a long time, the first time I drove one of his tuned products was his turbocharged Miata in 1998 - he was the first to boost a Miata to over 300 rwhp (stock was 128 hp), yet kept an emphasis on driveability. He's been in the tuning business for longer than most anyone, and is one of the most thorough and detailed in the market.

daytona355 likes this.
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Sounds brilliant. All these tuners that are successful have to be very clever people, because it must be so difficult to improve on Ferraris and their ilk, which are tuned, you’d imagine, to a very high level already. Absolutely mind blowing the extra they find from seemingly nowhere.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    With NA engines I am not sure if you will feel that much extra power, sound tends to fool people into thinking there is more power. I sent Shiv an email yesterday, which he did reply to. My car is still in storage at Algar so I have to talk to him about whether the ECU needs to be removed, which I hope it does not.

6. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    This wouldn't happen to be the same Shiv who also tuned DSM's and Evo's way back when would it?

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I wondered the same thing. Shiv Pathak...yup.

sjd

JoeTSI likes this.
  8. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Oh boy, the stories I could tell.

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thanks for the review James I just got off the phone with Shiv, I am definitely going with his solution.

simmadwn likes this.
  10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #10 JaguarXJ6, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    The factory has to create a baseline tune based on a variety of conditions. It doesn’t take into consideration changes to catless manifolds and flow, altitude, specific fuel, and how your engine is running more or less efficient. There is power to gain here with safety and some tune on the bleeding edge with timing and enrichment so it pays to research how they approach tuning. The power difference of a base vs Scud is all tweaking these parameters aided by valve train tweaks for lift/duration and timing.

While the argument will be made these are race engines and more finely tuned, unless they set a different baseline for Abu Dhabi compared to say Colorado altitude, the ECU only has a certain margin of adjustment to modify these values for drivability, not peak output to closely match conditions. You can also make more power at a potential trade off to drivability and safety. That’s one thing the factory always has in mind and why people don’t want to flash at all.

I modify personally. Creating more flow and being at very high altitudes which creates a tug of war with enrichment, a tune establishes a better baseline when I soon add headers and an exhaust. The ECU can adapt but the tune narrows, broadens, or sets fixed values in these margins for a more efficient baseline. These ECUs are not nearly as sophisticated as a modern stand-alone ECU the way Ferrari uses a dual setup with basic inputs for temp, knock, fuel, spark, timing as far as I am aware like Motec or ProEFI (what I use on my 1300hp Supra).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I just ordered my unit for the 458

simmadwn likes this.
  12. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior