458 or 488 | Page 17 | FerrariChat

458 or 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 or 488

1. 458

377 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. 488

168 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Perhals,,, perhaps not. That's pure speculation.
    I for one have no interest as it is now. Like the MC20 and Roma, it fits nowhere for me. Best in class? Depends on what you want. You said so yourself a few posts back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF likes this.
  2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Do tell more, any idea of when we will see Little Brother?

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Im not interested or tracking it, somone above noted ~2mo away. McL might show their hand first.

4. ADINEEN

ADINEEN Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    ANDREW DINEEN
    458 will be a classic, the 488 will be forgotten

5. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2021
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Thune
    I really hope you are right on this! I feel the same way.

dustman and xfrgtr like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Could you ask your crystal ball which stock will be the best investment in 2021?

Mighty Joe and GT2goneF like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I mean i got no skin in the game...but whilst it’s obvious than the 488 is a more advanced car and likely a better one Ferraris are all about the engine, the sound... possible 5-10 years from now people will think the 458 age extremely poorly but the 488 reminds me of the 575...better car than the 550 but ,if not stick, market values 550>575... Same will happen imo for 458>488

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure that you can compare it like that. The 550 vs. 575 was not all that dramatic of a change all things considered. Even power was only upped by a mere 30 hp. The 488 is significantly different from the 458 from a performance standpoint. In 10 years when some of the audience for these cars have changed, the performance might mean a lot more. With the current power wars going on, performance is already a much more important factor in exotics than it was say 15 years ago. The emphasis on power has changed, and I suspect that will continue to happen. It is impossible to say really, and truth be told, where I am, I don't see the 458 aging better currently. The emphasis on performance has started to show, and more and more often when I talk to other owners and enthusiasts, the 458 is talked about in many positive ways, but as soon as the conversation turns to getting one, focus shifts to the idea that it might be more interesting to own something newer and faster. In other words, I see people who like it, but not many who are ready to get one once that is the subject.

If it becomes a classic, I think it will take more than two more decades for it to become that.

GT2goneF likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

I think it becomes a classic and imo that engine is a timeless jewel. Sure ull get more power elsewhere, can’t stop progress but sound as always been a big Ferrari point of sale...I hear the 488, the f8 and I’m like how is this any better than a McLaren? I’m not sure it is sound wise so I think this will be something that will help cement the 458’s legacy and become a modern classic. I could be totally wrong.

10. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    If sound is really the jewel point; don't you prefer the F355 sound over 458?

Mighty Joe likes this.
  11. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    I see that only 28% votes for 488. People prefere NA engine. I hope guys from Ferrari will understund this and they will build some small capacity and hight rev V8 or V6. Maybey they should employee some Cosworth engineers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Natkingcolebasket69

I have a 355 and live it. Problem is maintenance

13. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Awesome! Just wondering which soundtrack you prefer? F355 vs 458?

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Well I’m going to go 355 because it revs slower than 458 so I feel like I enjoy it more. I like canyons and twisties and most of the time it’s 20-60mph range and I love the soundtrack

15. Evotion

Evotion Karting

Feb 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Adrian Elford
    Interesting reading this thread. In the early posts the difference between a 488 and 458 was 100K or so.
    It is around half that now and more 458 fans will find the 488 more accessible.

The gist of this thread, in value terms, is the question "will these cars converge in value?"
    I.e. is the 458 a better 'buy' for the less rich.

I'm a year away from purchasing my dream car and will keep an eye on prices.

16. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Want 488 due to it looking newer. Better value for money as of March 2021. Newer tech. Faster Better key. Newer.

Want 458 purely for the sound. The 458 I’m looking at is more expensive than 488s that are 4 years newer and similar miles meh

I have an extended test drive of both back to back in April so my heart can make this choice for me.

I really hope the 488 wins me over as it’s the smart move. But if it doesn’t, I won’t be dropping 150k on it for no reason. 458 is unreal, it’s just getting old now. Even the 14 plate I’m looking at.

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    People keep banging on about 488 being so much faster than the 458, but I think in real world driving the difference is minimal. We have a group of friends that drive very “sportily” on back country roads, with a wide variety of cars including 458s, Speciales, 488s, Pistas, 812, FF, C8 corvette, and various 911s at different times. At no time on real roads with curves and above average drivers have I ever felt under gunned in either my 458S or Speciale.
    The C8 vette has “only” 495 hp and is blisteringly fast. Try losing me in the twisties in my 500 hp 911 GT3...good luck. :)

The fact of the matter is the traction control systems are holding ALL the cars back to similar performance levels.

Tech? Who cares about tech? When I’m out bombing around on a sunny day with the top down in my 458S you think I care about Sat Nav and Apple Car Play? What tech does one need in a high performance exotic sports car? A radio? Are people sending and receiving text messages and conference calling while blasting through the canyons? If so, get your head examined, because you have serious priority problems. :) Btw....when my friends and I are logging thousands of miles on road trips through the deep south country roads getting lost is part of the fun. Plenty of times no cell signals. We always are armed though! ;)

18. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

spoken like a real Ferrari enthusiast:)

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    On track a 458 would not see where a 488 is going...
    And to drive reasonably (i.e. almost legally) on a road, a BMW 318D would be as fast as any sports car.
    With its DCT and electronics a 458 is already blatantly overequipped for the road. Depending on what one is looking for, IMHO an older car or a more recent one is always a better proposition than a 458, which just sits somewhere in the development path.

20. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    So are you saying one does not need to worry about a 458s power?

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That should tell you everything you need to know right there :)

458's hold their value for a reason. They provide a great deal [and great balance] of useable technology and power while not being so far removed from what has always made a Ferrari a Ferrari that you start losing the overall driving experience just for the sake of 1/10th of a second faster 0-60 time.

And I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard a 488 or California drive past me in auto mode.

@italiafan summed it up well w/ his post above I think. In the real world, the 458 is plenty capable. Sort of like riding a modern super bike on the street; the bike usually isn't the limiting factor, the rider's abilities are. Once you reach a certain level of power, making the bike more powerful actually starts to have an undermining effect on things unless your last name happens to be Rossi.

Unless you're just drag racing, I bet on the street, even an F8 would have a difficult time shaking a 458 Italia with the correct tire pressure on a twisty canyon road :)

Ray

22. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Makes sense. A nice Catless Downpipe/ X Pipe system and ECU tune gets you to 600 BHP too. Replace the battery with a lithium one and you are talking, with the system, 30+ KG in weight also.

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I disagree with absolutely everything you wrote, which is rare.
    On a track..you in a 488 and me in a 458 I’d know exactly where you were all the time I wager, if not right behind me perhaps just off my front bumper (of course depends on the track...Daytona, where pure hp, the extra 60 or so hp would make a difference...VIR..no way). Driving on our back country roads the BMW you mention would be lost, we’d have to all wait for it to show up every couple miles or so.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A shame we're not on the same continent or region. I'd like to see you hang on to me if I was in a 488 and you in a 458.

So far, Spa, Knutstorp, Nordschleife, Padborg Park, Hockenheim and of course Sturup Raceway in my backyeard, has proven the opposite. They are not even close to be matched, no matter the conditions if the drivers are both on a pretty close level. Sturup is a small and über technical track, and the 458 is still no match for a 488, not even close.

It is also worth remembering that there's not 60 hp between the 458 and 488, there's almost 100 bhp, 562 bhp vs. 661 bhp. But let's talk torque for a second. At 3000 rpm the 488 has 561 lb-ft. At 3200 rpm the 458 has 239 lb-ft. That's not a fight, that's a bloodbath in the making. Want to pit the 458 Speciale against the Pista? Then the slaughter will be even more gory.

pdxjim488, SVR and LVP488 like this.
  25. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

Eekkk

What about real world. No track. And let’s say the 458 has a genuine 600hp