458 or SLS amg? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

458 or SLS amg?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by nickF50, Oct 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The rear reminds me of a Porshe

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Saw the new Mercedes SLS in the flesh. Not impressed. Nose is very long, w/ the cabin too rearward appearing. Did not look sleek.
    Ed

3. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    458 for sure, but that wouldn't stop me from getting the SLS too. Different roles. I think the SLS is a daily driver while the 458 is a night time or weekend car.

4. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I just saw it too. It sound so different than the 458, but I think they have nailed it. The car is like the Ford GT: it is a modern interpretation of an old car, so it should sound the part. I think it sounds fabulous, and may have the best gurgling on overrun ever.

The optimum would be one of each!!!!

5. uuuu

uuuu Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    #105 uuuu, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Actually you can buy a used 599 for LESS than what a new SLS would cost ! Check out mobile.de, there are several models with only 15000 km on board and their price is like, 140000 eur+VAT. A new SLS is 160000+VAT :D

Or a 430 scuderia. Or a 360 cs. You ain't gonna get any purer than that ! Not even with the 458 italia. Actually in comparison with those cars the 458 is definetely a softer, more all-round car. It has softer suspension, softer transmission, softer (as in lighter) steering, everything is softer. Even the engine with it's mega horsepower per liter doesn't sound nearly as menacing as the other two. Actually it sounds more like the California...

Honestly I don't care much about the SLS. It is, in my opinion, pig ugly, and those doors are a gimmick and nothing more. Plus, with an engine that's practically fitted on all the other AMG models, starting with the C-class, and up to the ML, it has nowwhere near the exclusivity of the Enzo-engined 599 ! In fact, I would rather have a C63 than the SLS. And next to it a 599 :>

That is, until I saw the fuel consumption of the 599 :D

Fuel consumption combined:
    ca 21.3 l/100km
    Fuel consumption (urban):
    ca 32.7 l/100km
    Fuel consumption (extra-urban):
    ca 14.7 l/100km

The SLS has similar power/acceleration/handling and consumes 13.7 or something combined (and 20 something urban). So, pig ugly looks aside, I guess it is the reasonable man's choice. But since I'm not one of them I guess I'll still take the 599 :D

6. uuuu

uuuu Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    #106 uuuu, Feb 1, 2010
    Incredible, so it managed to beat the boooooring 911 turbo and, on top of that, the even more boooooring Nissan GT-R ? C'mon, AMG, you can do better than that :D

I think they said it was the least booooring of the cars there :) That's why it won the comparo.
    Wonder how it would do compared to the 599 ! This is, I recon, the only real competitor the SLS has.

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    997 Turbo boring??? I feel bad for the wives of folks who find such a car boring...

8. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I don't think the SLS is a competitor to the 599. Only a very rich person with no passion for Ferrari would do such a buy. A Ferrari buyer who understands what the marque is would never buy anything else, unless he can own multiple exotica as such.

9. uuuu

uuuu Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    #109 uuuu, Feb 1, 2010
    Yesss !!! Turbo-engine + 4AWD = boring. 2WD normally aspirated porsches are much more fun to drive ! The reason for this is that they are more lighter/agile, have better steering, the engine is more responsive, and they sound better too ;)

Or a rich person who doesn't want to spend unnecessary amounts of money on petrol, when he can spend unnecessary amounts of money on something else. Like, say, cars. Ok, just kidding. But 32 liters city and 22 average is INSANE, bro. That translates in a range of, what, 250 miles ?! I can understand a track car (like Enzo) to have such a small range, but a "Grand Tourer" ????

I mean, tour of what, the backyard garden ? :> But then it should have been called a "Garden Tourer", right ? :D

10. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #110 Testacojones, Feb 1, 2010
    I have owned them all and disagree on that, the rear wheel drive are more fun, but the Turbo isn't boring. I believe the spirit of the car lies within the driver and only a boring driver makes a boring drive, either in the track or off it.

11. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    What? You've never driven an SLS, 997 TT or a GTR so your opinion is worthless.
    No. Just no.

12. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    It is a little silly to knock AMG or their product for winning a comparison test.

13. uuuu

uuuu Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    #113 uuuu, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    I wasn't knocking AMG, I just think that those cars are not in the same league in terms of sex-appeal and driver involvement to even be worth comparing to the SLS. Yes, the SLS is ugly and has a dildo like shape, but it has a lot more presence than those two. It really looks like a super exclusive GT (albeit an ugly one). And having a huge roaring 6.3 liter V8 putting some 570 bhp to the rear wheels I would assume it is a heap more exciting than either the (4WD) 911/GTR, with their vacuum-cleaner like sound and playstation game feel. So it was kind of silly to compare them with the SLS in the first place :>

Bottom line is that they should have compared this expensive/exclusive front-engined RWD GT to other expensive/exclusive front-engined RWD GTs, such as the Aston DBS, or the Ferrari 599. Ffs, they teach you in the first grade, compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges ! :D

14. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    This is a JOKE question, right?

15. Cyprus16M

Cyprus16M Karting

Sep 11, 2009
    North Cyprus
    Full Name:
    Bora
    #115 Cyprus16M, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Well the looks arent so impressive of the SLS but now that Schumi is racing for Mercedes F1 team we will probably see a lot of improvement in their AMG cars soon...

16. Andreu Tautou

Andreu Tautou Karting

Oct 29, 2009
    what would you chose: Ferrari Enzo or Porsche Boxter?

who is better driver: Michael Schumacher or his brother Ralf ?

stupid thread :)

17. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Then we should be knocking Car Magazine. I see your point, and agree with you, but you said "C'mon, AMG, you can do better than that."

18. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Frankly, I don't think thats true. I think it will be very comparable.

Steve

19. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not really, the SLS is going to be one of the 458's main competitors.

It's really hard to judge as everyone here hasn't driven either cars. The SLR was an amazing machine. I have come to learn that Mercedes is very capable of making a good sports car, think of the SL65 Black, CLK63 Black, and the SLR. All amazing machines.

Steve

20. Andreu Tautou

Andreu Tautou Karting

Oct 29, 2009
    I agree that Mercedes know how to build good cars, but the best of the best is: CLK DTM :)

21. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Oh ya, forgot that one.

I love Ferrari, but I think above all, Mercedes is my favorite.

Steve

22. Andreu Tautou

Andreu Tautou Karting

Oct 29, 2009
    #122 Andreu Tautou, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    what do you think about mr Pagani decision to put biturbo engine to zonda succesor, for me old AMG 7.3. is the best engine on the planet, yep better than any ferrari engine :)

23. uuuu

uuuu Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    #123 uuuu, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. uuuu

uuuu Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    #124 uuuu, Feb 4, 2010
    If you like bunny rabbits maybe. Now really, those "gullwing" doors look more like Bugs Bunny's ears than anything else. And the overall face of the car is reminescent of a rabbit too. Now were did Elmer go ? I admit, I hated when he was trying to kill Bugsy but I would be damn glad if he'd put this thing out of it's misery. It's pittyfull, really.

25. uuuu

uuuu Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    #125 uuuu, Feb 4, 2010
    How does it compare to the 599 ? I would assume, since you sold it, that the SLS drives better, since you ordered one :)

Hopefully there will be a facelift soon to fix some of the ugliness of this car's front end (especially the headlights and those vents beneath them, which look like crap from a side view). Maybe then I'll consider the roadster, because I hate them gullwing doors...and not just because they look like Bugs Bunny's ears :)