458 P0412 Check engine (secondary air injection valve a) Air Pump not turning on. Help | FerrariChat

458 P0412 Check engine (secondary air injection valve a) Air Pump not turning on. Help

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sam4151, Feb 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sam4151

sam4151 Rookie

Jan 28, 2018
    Hi guys,
    Tackling problem after problem with my 458. I bought a service manual online, waiting for the link to the pdf, but in the meantime, wondering if anyone can help or has had this issue before.

Check engine light on car, scanned and got code P0412 (Secondary air injection system switching valve A circuit). The Secondary air pump will not turn on when I start the vehicle.

Before I go any further, I should note that I am not afraid to work on cars; I have rebuilt many engines in the past and troubleshooted some pretty difficult things, but I had a bit of direction (manual, resources, etc). I'm shooting in the dark with this car.

So, here is what I did so far.
    -supplied power to air pump, turned on and very strong.

-Removed Relay for air pump and jumped prongs for 87 and 30. Secondary air pump turned on, sounded very healthy and blew very strong.

-Checked Fuse 83 air pump relay (owners manual calls it relay, but it’s a 50amp fuse). This checked out fine, double checked continuity with multimeter

-Checked T30 Relay (air pump relay) by Swapping with T07 horn Relay which is identical. Swapped and horn worked ruling out bad relay.

-check for voltage from on/off solenoid harness; gets voltage

-Installed brand new On/off Solenoid switch (google pulled up this code and while nothing specific to ferrari, this code lead me to believe this solenoid was bad.

-Still getting code P0412. Air pump still will not come on with cold start, and I get a very rich exhaust smell with cold start. No drivability or performance issues, just this pesky check engine light.

Any help appreciated.
    thanks guys.

Melvok likes this.
  2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    If you jumper around the relay and turn on the air pump does the cel clear on the next start?

If it doesn’t then the code has to be cleared by an OBD reader.

But if the car is capable of getting the air pump to turn on but doesn’t then it suggests the ecu is not setting it for some reason or is a different error is stopping it.

I take it the swap in relays did not change the on behavior??

SV

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I’ve heard that a Ferrari diagnostic code reader is supposed to be used on modern cars such as 458/488

Perhaps you should bring it in to your dealer for a diagnostic evaluation.

4. sam4151

sam4151 Rookie

Jan 28, 2018
    Hi SV,
    Swapping the relays did not change anything. I have not tried turning on the air pump by jumping pins on startup, but I may give this a shot. From the reading I have done, the code comes on by monitoring the o2 sensor to see if fresh air is induced in the system, so something is not sending the signal to the PCM to turn the pump on. Once I get my manual, I'll check the wiring diagram so I can check for continuity. Also, I have cleared the light and it comes on with the next cold start.

MalibuGuy,
    I have a snapon Solus ultra scanner (pretty fancy scanner). You may be right that there is another manufacturer specific code, but I feel like this code is leading me on the right track as it is indicative that there is an issue with the secondary air system, and my pump is not coming on.

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #5 MalibuGuy, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    According to my limited understanding, if the problem is to do with secondary air pump issues, this has little affect n the health of the engine or performance. Most of the small black plastic tubes running across the engine compartment are due to emission regulations which are only relevant during the first two minutes when you cold start an engine! Many time it is something as minor as stuck or non functioning valve. All of these small tubes tend to leak at their connection points too.

Sort of like the crazy rubber valve apparatus at the gas pump which makes life less pleasurable whenever you try to fill your tank!

hg likes this.
  6. sam4151

sam4151 Rookie

Jan 28, 2018
    Yep, you're right. Doesn't really effect anything except for my sanity. I need to smog my car to get new tags. BTW, where about's in malibu are you. I used to live in Kanan/Dume

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    In the US we have left Gerald usually Democrats who are cons Derim
    That’s my hood!
    I used to try to do a lot of diagnostic and general work on my cars, but over time I found that many things prevented that. So that’s why I suggested letting your dealer sort it out. Usually not much savings either

8. sam4151

sam4151 Rookie

Jan 28, 2018
    Hahah, Nice.

I actually called the dealer to have them look at it before I even started looking into the issue, and they were backed up for a couple of weeks. Made the appointment just in case I can't figure it out by then. According to DMV, I can get temporary tags if my car fails smog, but i don't want a "failed emmisions" on my carfax. This coupled with the long wait for my service appointment led me to roll up my sleeves and try to sort this out.

9. nero corsa

nero corsa Karting

Apr 4, 2017
    Do you have a valve controller to open and close them? Mine popped up when I had my valves open and that is when I had that same code. Dealer checked out my issue and said it’s the valve controller and reset the car for me. Haven’t had the issue ever since.

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    And not the O2 sensor??

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Did you clear the message (once or more often) ?

12. sam4151

sam4151 Rookie

Jan 28, 2018
    Checked for valve controller, but just had oem cables going to rear solenoids.
    Cleared this message multiple times, and it keeps coming back.

13. sam4151

sam4151 Rookie

Jan 28, 2018
    No the O2, because I can see the voltage drop through live data, and both sides are reacting the same.

14. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sorry, are you seeing an ecu response? Trying to open the pump??

SV

15. sam4151

sam4151 Rookie

Jan 28, 2018
    I'm not seeing the command. That is the problem. I am able to actuate it through my scan tool, but the ecu will not send the signal on it's own which is really driving me crazy.

16. Gated V12

Gated V12 Rookie

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I’m having the same issue! Any update on this Sam4151??

Thanks!

Paul Hernandez likes this.
  17. Paul Hernandez

Jul 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul Hernandez
    I’m having the exact same issue, checked everything and it’s good. Did you ever figure out what it was for you?

18. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Same issue here! Anyone find a cause?

19. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    personally i don't have this issue but a member just posted about it and was trying to help by searching the issue, seems like the op sam4151 is one of those forum users that don't give a crap about updating the thread with the outcome...just ask for help, get suggestions, but don't give back...seems very common on this board.

craigburton likes this.
  20. Theeft

Theeft Rookie

Jan 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Kyle Strauss
    I had a vehicle in with the same issue and ended resolving the issue which i originally posted over on Reddit about. And it contains A solution which may not be applicable to everyone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ferrari/comments/rq163f/2012_ferrari_458_italia_check_engine_p0412/

*SOLVED*

I wish this ended in a better way but hopefully this helps others in the future if they run into this issue. Hours and hours of diagnosis trying to chase down this mystical short.

So what ended up being the issue was the secondary air valve connector (L300) was plugged into the PCV Solenoid (S117* USA/CAN Only) which is why the entire circuit was showing a short as the connector unplugged from the secondary air switching valve was never unplugged. And that connector shares a common wire with the right bank ignition cylinders, ION ECU, RH Cam Adjusters and RH MAF. So if you ever see intermittent codes for any of the following and a permanent P0412 and it is a North American market car then this is most likely your issue.

So how did happen? Among all the connectors, these two solenoids are the only common 2 wire connector in that area of the car (back and side of sump tank). The secondary air switching valve (L300) comes from the RH ignition coil harness and the PCV Solenoid (S117) comes from the LH ignition coil harness. L300 is closer to the LH and S117 is closer to RH but The S117 connector from the LH is way longer and appears that length is used to get to L300 as it sits near the bottom of the sump tank. And the actual L300 is short and just long enough to actually reach the secondary air switching valve (L300).

The car was at another shop prior to us, what they did we do not know. But it was most likely caused by them not knowing where the connectors went and plugged them in to the closest matching end. I don’t know if they gave up and couldn’t figure it out or the customer got frustrated. But that’s how it ended up in my hands.

So what kind of issues does this cause? Well, it completely trashes the secondary air system as well as effects drivability. The secondary air pump will not kick on because of this and cause a CEL. It causes intermittent faults with ION ECU which controls your knock sensors and ignition timing to an extent. It will also cause an intermittent MAF correlation as it is now effecting the MAF sensor that is also connected on that harness.

So after hours of chasing wires, it was two connectors flip flopped. I wish I caught it earlier but I didn’t even think based on the length of the wires that they were backwards and overlooked it.

kiryu, docf, up4speed and 1 other person like this.
  21. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm glad you figured it out. I work on cars a lot, and considered a pretty good troubleshooter, but damn, I am thoroughly impressed with your troubleshooting skills.
    NICE WORK!!

docf likes this.
  22. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have heard of similar issues on bmw
    I dont know why manufacturers if they use same connector color code both connectors somehow??

23. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    @sam4151

ever fix this. I am having this issue now.

24. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    same issue--i get the P0412 code about every third restart. I saw a post suggesting the battery.....? mine is 4-years old,
    seems several have posted this issue but not many have posted solutions. So far Ive only looked for loose wires and hoses.
    any help appreciated