458 passenger, side airbag recall? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 passenger, side airbag recall?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dave rocks, Mar 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nygts

nygts Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    I got the same letter this past weekend. My car is going in this weekend for service and I will have it done if needed. Mine is a 2013.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Charlie at WW thinks these are interim notices meaning a final release will come later.

3. RyanFoH

RyanFoH Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    Releases are done regionally as directed by NHSTA, with the Southeast typically first (heat and humidity most negatively affecting a potentially faulty airbag).

Again, I am sure there are anomalies to this process... I'm just relaying information communicated when the original 2010/2011 458 & California notices were released and from the recent FNA presentation.

4. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    My friend in the local club got an FNA notice for his 2013 458 Spider passenger airbag. I have a 2015 458 Spider and have not received a notice for it

5. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    So I talked to my dealer today regarding this recall (FYI...I have a 2013 458 Spider). I told my dealer that I had received the notice from Ferrari North America regarding the front passenger airbag recall. I mentioned that I went to the NHTSA sight and entered my VIN and it came back with zero recalls. Due to the shortage of new airbags from Takata, the factory started with 2009, 2010 and 2011 vehicles. They will then progress to 2012, 2013, etc. As soon as my car is eligible, I should receive a letter from Ferrari and most likely emails and other sorts of correspondence indicating that the car is now ready to have the recall completed. So it looks like it is coming sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps.

6. Soundcheck

Soundcheck Karting

Oct 10, 2015
    River City
    Received notice from FNA this week (live on west coast). Subsequently ran my 2013 458 Spider on NHTSA website and it did post a recall for the passenger airbag. Haven't made arrangements yet with dealer - want to schedule with annual inspection but have concerns about waiting - ugh.

7. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    #32 spiders, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    This is incorrect information. Are your going to trust the information from Ferrari or the information from the dealer? The 2010, 2011, 2012 cars, and the 2013 cars, have recalls on the Takata passenger side airbag. If your friend received a notice from Ferrari, then his car is under recall and he had better pay attention. Just because it does not show up yet on the US government recall site does not mean that the airbag is not a danger to the passenger.

I received a notice from Ferrari last week regarding the passenger airbag on my 2013 Italia. It is my understanding that the 2014 and 2015 cars will eventually get notices, as they all have the same Takata airbag assembly.

MIA458 likes this.
  8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Excuse me, we DID speak with Ferrari dealers, actually 2, both ran the VIN and stated the car has no open recalls. However, I was with my buddy tonight and he had the notice with him and I took a photo and sent to Wide World for them to look into this.

Some things are just not cut and dry.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    This list of recall bags was posted in the F12/812 forum:

Ferrari
    2010-2015 Ferrari 458 Italia
    2014-2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale
    2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale A
    2012-2015 Ferrari 458 Spider
    2016-2017 Ferrari 488 GTB
    2016-2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
    2009-2014 Ferrari California
    2015-2017 Ferrari California T
    2013-2017 Ferrari F12
    2016-2017 Ferrari F12 tdf
    2016 Ferrari F60
    2012-2016 Ferrari FF
    2017 Ferrari GTC4Lusso

Others have posted elsewhere that it takes time and humidity exposure to raise the risk of detonation so older cars first but eventually those with the bags will get replaced. Given that data, they were putting known defective airbags into lots of new cars. Yes, your F12 TDF limited edition masterpiece you added another $100k of Tailor Made custom features will have its dash ripped apart. Consider it part of the experience. Maybe they will take a few pictures of them tearing the dash apart for addition to the special picture album - for an additional fee, of course.

10. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    This one is. You may expect that your friend's Ferrari VIN will be showing up as a recall in the relatively near future.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We are preparing to get the car to WW and they will take care of it. I read the recall notice last night, it's not not interim - it's the real deal yet the dealers systems have no notice - they can't even go into the system after to check it as complete - as it's not in the system. Charlie is looking into this with FNA but we are getting the car there in the next couple weeks and they will take care of it.

12. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Dave, it's good to hear that things are going to be taken care of for your friend. Here is some contact info from the NHTSA website, if you need more information...

"Please contact Ferrari North America, Inc. by phone at 201-816-2650 by email at [email protected] for recall information about your vehicle."

Dave rocks likes this.
  13. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Got mine done in Jan for my 2010. FWIW.

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ild hate to have a faulty passenger airbag. Doesn't the whole dash have to come off ?

15. Raul1976

Raul1976 Karting

Aug 2, 2013
    If it were not for F Chat I would not have known about the recal. I informed my dealer and they are organising to replace my airbag. They said it takes 2 hours to do.

SAFE4NOW, Melvok and sbenus like this.
  16. sbenus

sbenus Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2009
    San Juan
    Full Name:
    Simon
    same here

SAFE4NOW and Melvok like this.
  17. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I've heard that the recalls are coming out in stages.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Just had mine replaced a couple of months ago. Too a long time for them to get the part. Waited a year to finally get it done.

19. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    replaced mine as well

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    To determine if your car is covered under any current Takata airbag recall – or any other recall – try any of the following:

1. go to www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and type in your 17 digit VIN, you will be provided with information concerning any outstanding recall; or

2. go to https://auto.ferrari.com/en_us/
      • click on “recall campaign” near bottom of page

• scroll down to recall campaign and type in the 17 digit VIN of your Ferrari. You will be provided with information concerning any outstanding recall; or

3. Using your smartphone, go to the app store and type in “airbag recall” in the search bar and download the airbag recall app.

• Open the airbag recall app;
    • You can check for any outstanding recall in any car by typing in your vehicle’s VIN or by scanning the vehicle’s license plate.

• You will be provided with information concerning any outstanding recall; or

1. Call your authorized Ferrari dealer and provide them with your VIN. Your dealer will tell you if your Ferrari has any outstanding recalls.

21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    .....Fear Monger much..... There is absolutely NO " tearing " apart of components , panels are removed to access the back side of the dashboard , where the airbag unit is removed and new unit installed...

Photos, sure, for those that really want to see their car taken apart... lol

Timing belt service on a 550 looks much scarier than air bag replacement when it comes to shock value.. < wink >

S

22. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #47 SAFE4NOW, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Caeruleus11 and 338Lapua like this.
  23. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The easiest way is to just send an email to your dealer, I did after reading this thread and got a time for the airbag replacement in May.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  24. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I would recommend getting in touch with your local official Ferrari dealer, just to be sure.

My 2011 Italia has had its airbag replaced under the recall. Prior to having the car serviced, I enquired my Ferrari dealer and was told that recalls were indeed coming out in stages, not because of any Ferrari-related incident, but because stocks on their airbag supplier were streched pretty thin.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

338Lapua and SAFE4NOW like this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sarcasm and humor my friend. 50 million airbags involved across 37 million cars and the company is going into bankruptcy. No one wants their dash taken (torn) apart especially for a part that was under recall before they put it in. Every production model car is impacted including LEs. For what its worth I always call it "ripping" the dash apart which I hate doing and it always seems to leave creaks and rattles - even when done by the dealer in prior cars. No experience with dash teardowns on a Ferrari but certainly not pleasurable and ultimately should have been unnecessary. Engine out is unsavory!

SAFE4NOW likes this.