458 Rearview mirror repair | FerrariChat

458 Rearview mirror repair

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by arajani, Jan 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arajani

arajani Rookie

Jan 5, 2016
    #1 arajani, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Hi Guys!
    I have a 2014 458 coupe with a rearview mirror that has a stippled, almost scratched appearance. My car is from Miami — and was purchased this way a year ago with 4000 miles on it.

The dealer (Ferrari South Bay) wants $1900 to replace the entire mirror, but I understood from conversations months ago with Scott Wheeler at radar-mirror.com that the mirror could be replaced once removed.

I’ve tried reaching Scott again recently, and have not had any success after multiple attempts. I hope he is ok!

My question: does anyone else know of a cost effective way to repair the glass through another vendor? Or is the glass available somewhere else? There was a post that supposedly provided a source, but I could not track it down.

Grateful for any help!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    $1900 they having a laugh?

Am pretty certain the rear view mirror is available new from Ferrari i.e can be removed and replaced

Even if it's got sensors in it etc i doubt it'll be that much new (you could even find a good used one) plus you can most likely swap your sensor over as you just need the shell and glass by the looks of it

Hopefully someone can chime in and knows a way to fix or replace the glass

In the meanwhile check euro spares and see how much the mirror is for your car (they sell new and used and normally the cheapest around if your purchasing new)

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/

All the best

3. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    ok had a quick look on euro spares

Seems the USA/Canada spec cars come with the Homelink option as standard which does make the mirror rather expensive (ouch)

Definitely still has to be way around this to fix the glass or maybe find a few breakers there who will have a good clean used one

Let us know how you get on

4. arajani

arajani Rookie

Jan 5, 2016
    @reisskhan - thanks!

I contacted Global Battery Solutions. They carry spare glass from Magna (the makers of the Ferrari mirror) — they said they could fix it in 3-5 business days for $175 USD. For expedited service, it was $200 USD.

I will keep everyone updated on how this turns out — could be a nice option — definitely cheaper the 1000 GBP as seen at eurospares or through the “stealer”ship!

Warmly,
    Anand

5. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Awesome has had a quick look for you and the used ones which seems to scuffed up are expensive aswell

But awesome find with the Magna link

Generally with the Ferrari's and Lambo's hard to find the spares from the suppliers direct compared to the likes of the Porsches etc

I'd defo consider the Global Battery route

All the best

6. petec

petec Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    Peter Cipolla
    Global Battery Solutions out of Holland, Michigan?

docf and arajani like this.
  7. arajani

arajani Rookie

Jan 5, 2016
    Hi Guys-
    I sent my 458 Italia mirror with Homelink to Global battery Solutions in MI.

They received it, fixed it, and returned it to Ferrari South Bay for re-installation.

It turned out perfectly and works great! I would HIGHLY recommend them — much cheaper than spending $1900 on a brand new one!

Anand

8. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Awesome good news

What did it end up costing in the end for the repair and do they replace the glass or somehow fix the original that had the gaze on it?

9. arajani

arajani Rookie

Jan 5, 2016
    They completely replaced the glass, which they get directly from Magna (who makes the OE glass). $175.

docf likes this.
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    @ They received it, fixed it, and returned it to Ferrari South Bay for re-installation. @

This is what Reisskhan is asking: what did the the install at the dealer cost ?

11. arajani

arajani Rookie

Jan 5, 2016
    They charged me $350.

12. arajani

arajani Rookie

Jan 5, 2016
    One could probably remove it on their own, but I have heard reports of people cracking their windshields, so I chose not to attempt it on my own!

Melvok likes this.
  13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed even a Ferrari dealer could crack the windshield working on the mirror or headliner - in which case they replace the windshield for free...

Melvok likes this.
  14. arajani

arajani Rookie

Jan 5, 2016
    Agree completely. For the $5k liability of cracking my windshield, I was happy to pay them to do it.

Melvok likes this.
  15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I had my Rear view mirror reinstalled last yr. as it simply fell off the windshield. Don't remember the cost but it was farmed out cause the glue Ferrari Dealer used didn't hold after a couple of days. It's been great since the professional install by auto glass firm Also mirror glue from auto stores is substandard for Ferrari application esp. if you reside in hot & humid climate.

16. DriIve

DriIve Rookie

May 3, 2018
    OK Tarek, I'm mostly convinced. Can I get eyes on it? I'll be in Long Beach this Friday to check out Acura GP. Can I swing by?

17. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    The 458 mirror slides on a dovetail, that is glued to the windshield. I had my mirror fall once or twice, as it slides off the dovetail going over really bumpy roads.
    No need to unglue the part from the glass, to remove the mirror. Don't quite understand a $350 charge to replace the mirror. When I notice my mirror vibrating, i know it's time to shove it back up into place.

18. Whan

Whan Rookie

Sep 4, 2020
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    Will
    Speaking of mirrors - anyone know where I can source auto-dimming glass for the passenger side mirror? On my 458, the mirror is permanently dimmed even during daytime - not sure if others are like that, or if just mine

19. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    I coincidentally found Scott Wheeler at radar-mirror.com and sent out a failed auto-dimming mirror from my '02 M5 (the mirrors are known to develop a bubble and/or leak). The website was still up, so I sent payment and my mirror and received this back. I'm waiting to see what he has to say about the workmanship.