458 replacement battery | FerrariChat

458 replacement battery

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MikeA, Mar 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    It seems to be time to replace the OEM battery on my 2013 458 Spider and I am having trouble finding a battery that fits. The manual lists the following battery - Fiamm 12V - 70 A/h L3 VRLA 760A EN. I have seen lots of posts on using Odyssey and Interstate batteries, but no specific models are listed. Can someone post the full model name and brand of a replacement battery that works in the 458?
    Thanks
    Mike

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Interstate MP-7/48

4. mat.f430

mat.f430 Rookie

Feb 9, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Our San Antonio dealer uses Interstate.

Although I have not yet installed a new battery in the 458. the install in the 430 was simple, mildly annoying was getting the vent set up correctly. Get a good foam pad to kneel on while you work.

5. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    How about the Braille i48CS ?

6. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    It will work too but is almost twice as heavy (more power) and very expensive: $2,6K.

If you go with Braille I would recommend the i48cx, cheaper, lighter and all the
    power you need.

best

7. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Interstate
    MT7 48/H6

DefunctNeurons and docf like this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Thanks. I couldn't remember the H6 portion! This is a very nice AGM battery (Absorbed Glass Mat - they don't leak if they crack).

docf likes this.
  9. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    Thanks to all for the info. I'll go with the interstate AGM battery.
    Mike

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Make photo's please ... and show us how you did that all ...

And how did the Ecu's react to this new car battery ?

11. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #11 Randyslovis, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Mel,
    I pulled my January service ticket from my authorized Ferrari dealer.
    Interstate battery recommended and installed by them at that time. They did not recommend Ferrari sourced battery.
    As noted above, it is the Interstate IBMT5-48/H6. Price was $254.46. Labor to install was $225!!
    There are NO issues with the ECU. No error codes in the 6 weeks since it was installed.
    Plus, as I have remarked on before, better starting efficiency than original factory battery. Battery is always on the Ferrari OEM tender.
    Best, Randy
    PS: Interstate website lists weight at nearly 50 lbs (45.6). I thought it was lighter. Plus 30 month free replacement if I read it correctly.

Melvok likes this.
  12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I think though it has to re-learn the idle which is a simple procedure that takes a few minutes if idling with the AC on.

Melvok likes this.
  13. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Just replaced the battery on my 458. I've put a Bosch S5 A08 (760A , 70Ah) and it fits perfect.

elt360 and Melvok like this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Interstate batteries work the best, last the longest. Highly recommended!

15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Have this battery currently in mine for approx. a year. Absolutely NO issues. If the car is going to be parked > 4 days it goes on the Cytec 7202. Considered a Lithium , I can buy 4 Interstates for the price of 1 lithium.

Melvok likes this.
  16. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I always leave my cars for at least a month or two without a trickle charger or without disconnecting the battery and I never had a problem staring them...

17. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    damn didn't know braille was that expensive

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any Europeaan standard battery will fit and do the job. (For Mercedes, BMMW, Audi, Porsche)

As stated: Bosch S5 A08 (760A , 70Ah) and it fits perfect

DIY for under $ 200 imo.

Easy, look into my YOLO thread ….

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Interstate vs Odyssey?
    Anyone with a comparison of these two?
    My factory original Fiamm went flat soon after delivery,
    Dealer replaced it with the Odyssey AGM. Pretty happy with it. But I drive everyday and do put it on the charger for two hours everyday after driving, I read somewhere that this is the recommended procedure. Driving by itself doesn’t fully charge the battery. So the battery tender must be used in order to keep the battery conditioned

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I would go with the Interstate for this car. Unlike Porsche 911s that mount the battery fairly high up near the base of the windshield (at least in a 991), the 458 and other rear mid engine Ferraris mount the battery relatively low, under the passenger footrest. At that location, going to a super lightweight, expensive lithium battery will not make much difference.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Interstate and Odyssey are not the only choices. Just check the ratings on them (CCA, Ah, reserve minutes, etc.) from their website and compare to any equivalent size (looks like H6 above) AGM HELE battery at your local auto shop. It is not uncommon to find the same or better battery that fits perfectly for less cost at your local auto store. Some are labeled generically and are identical in every other aspect. Some are superior. The last place I would buy an aftermarket battery would be at the dealership. ;)

22. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Never had good results with Odyssey battery's though never attempted one with any of my Ferrari cars. Had the Interstate's in the 360 and now in my 458 and nothing but praise.

23. steve guess

steve guess Rookie

Aug 21, 2018
    Turks and Caicos/ Utah
    Full Name:
    Steve guess
    I just replaced mine a week ago. Got an AMG battery at oriellys for $189.Fires up fine. The only thing that matters are the amps and the size. It's a ***** to change but fairly straightforward. Do not remove more stuff than you have to.

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Ferrari uses a group 48 size battery. Costco sells one. I might have the paperwork for the battery in my office some place; if I run across it, I will post the exact specifics. I want to say their battery code was 21R, but don't quote me on that.

Ray

25. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason