458 speciale curb weight | FerrariChat

458 speciale curb weight

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Alberto Cerruti, May 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alberto Cerruti

Jul 27, 2004
    I have a US specs 458 speciale
    The owner manual specifies that the car curb weight is 3075 pounds including "most popular options".
    My car weights 3340 pounds without driver and has only the following options, which add a minimum amount of weight: Stripe (extra clear coat), handy fire extinguisher, cruise control, yellow calipers, extra carpets.
    I have tryed to explain where the extra 265 pound come from, but I fell short.
    This is what i considered:
    Common options could include carbon fiber parts, but this cannot amount to such a difference..
    Ferrari might use the SAE curb weight definition which includes only 1/2 tank.
    Ferrari might exclude air conditioner, air bags, radio, glass side windows, but these "delete" are not offered in USA.
    I have checked the official scale I used by weighting my 911 Turbo S and it is very accurate.
    Can anyone shed any light? 8.5% weight difference in not immaterial!!!!!

2. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    i think Ferrari lists 'dry weight', that is without fluids, probably without any fuel in the car. This could be the reason for the difference.

Determine how gas is in the car, calculate the weight and deduct it. What is that number?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the gas will account for 138 pounds max.

in past there has been big difference between Euro and US spec weights, I don't know about more recent times.

I wonder if spec weight is without other fluids oil and water?

Is the HP number 100% accurate too? :D

4. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    If I recall correctly the radio delete is available in US you just simply don't choose any options for the radio.

I think Ferrari has always been a bit optimistic on the weight. Certainly an upleasant surprise when you expect a 3000lb car and all of a sudden it's more like 3500lbs with a driver included.

5. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    Ferrari's curb weight is with all fluids, but no fuel. Mine was 3287 lbs with full tank... I think they put on all carbon available, empty the trunk, take out everything loose inside and leave all options that increase the weight.

6. Alberto Cerruti

Jul 27, 2004
    Thanks for the info, however the manual is very specific: talks about CURB weight "including most popular options". Curb weight, is defined as follows:
    DIN, include full tank and no driver.
    EEC include full tank and 75 Kg driver.
    SAE includes 1/2 tank, no driver.
    I have nothing in the trunk nor inside the car other than the handy fire estinguisher (no tools, no spare tire).
    So, the numbers still do not add up even replacing parts with all available carbon figer....

7. bigblock737

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    :D
    You do not really believe Ferrari will accept any other standards than their own when they determine the weight of their cars, do you ;)
    If you say your car weighs more than what they say the weight is it's because your scale is not an officially certified Ferrari scale ;) Or maybe it's because where you live gravity is higher than in Maranello :D

8. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Its cheaper (an healthier) to go on a diet than pay Ferrari for options that "reduce" weight :)

9. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Hate to be blasphemous about Ferrari, but they lie all the time!
    Doesn't matter if you are talking about models to be made, manufacturing schedules, etc. Weight, however, is one of the things they are the worst about! Ferrari has always understated their weights.
    Weight of F12 is vastly heavier than what they say. Just check numerous road tests of this car as well.
    Sorry.
    Best,
    Randy

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Spot on in my experience. My Scuderia was spec'd with none of the luxury items such as leather, radio/speakers etc, etc. It had none of the big ticket carbon fibre bits like the engine cover, rear diffuser and side sills. The c/f stuff saves about 22lbs or 10kgs from memory.

I filled the car to the brim with fuel and put it on the race scales with the tools/manuals pouch on board. It came in at 1360kg once the fuel weight was deducted and Ferrari claimed 1350kg. I also went through the same procedure with my 308GTB Fibreglass bodied car and a mates 308GTB metal bodies car. The results were all pretty close to Ferraris stated curb weights.

When I get my 458 Speciale in late July I will put it on the race scales. The car is again spec'd with no luxury items and none of the carbon fibre bodywork options. I would expect it to weigh close to Ferraris claimed figure.

11. Andi355

Andi355 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    So we assume: The speciale is a "tanker" and only 50kgs lighter than a stock
    458 !!!!

12. Savageulm

Savageulm Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2010
    Italy/Europe
    Reading what you write here I don't think we can call them "liers".... For example your car has sure some options included (if I remember you have leather and the seatings were different right?) and at the end she weights about 1.427 kg when they declare 1.395 kg with the most favorable combination of options as written in the owner manual (not the most popular options included). So the difference in your car is +32 kg. Let us assume that you have about 10 kg of options ok? At the end the difference will be about 22 kg. The difference between your car and what they declared at the end is 1,6%. So can we call them liers for this?Next week I will weight mine with professional scale and let you know. The Italian magazine Quuattroruote made a full test. The car was weighting 1.456 kg with fuel. Fuel is about 64,5 kg.Of course that car was prepared at best by Ferrari and this means with the "most favorable combination of options".They are not liers or at least not more than others.

13. RC33

RC33 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2005
    Garden City
    Full Name:
    RC33
    Would US bound cars be possibly heavier due to heavier bumpers and beefier crash zones because of stricter transportation laws that also do not allow 4 point harnesses and roll cage bars?

I noticed US bound cars also have the extra side marker lamps...wonder how heavier such parts might weigh?

Would the '4 point' harness weigh less than the common 3 point seat belt system?

14. bigblock737

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    Didn't tell them liars... Just wanted to say that they are quite flexible in handling standards... ;) Ferrari's weight determination is according to no international standard...

15. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    #15 Joeyung, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Savageulm

Savageulm Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2010
    Italy/Europe
    I didn't mean about you, sorry..:)

17. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    did you cross-jack the fronts for the banking? presume that did not include you in the car.

hope you are doing well Joe, look forward to pics and impressions of the new car

18. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    did you cross-jack the fronts for the banking? presume that did not include you in the car.

hope you are doing well Joe, look forward to pics and impressions of the new car

19. pride355

pride355 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Full Name:
    MOT
    3.287 lbs is 1.494 kg not 1.427, BTW.

20. pride355

pride355 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Full Name:
    MOT
    My MY13 italia weights 1470kg~3.234lbs with approx. 10 liters of fuel. I have carbon bucket seats with alcantara pack and some carbon inside. I don't have navi, JBL, lift, AFS, extra leather trim etc. With full tank, we can assume it weights around 1530kg~3366lbs which is about 50kg heavier than most Speciales.

21. Savageulm

Savageulm Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2010
    Italy/Europe
    Yes but when you detract the fuel....

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The lift system I think adds around 70lbs. Can anyone confirm?

23. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    No did, nothing. Just got out of the car to take the picture.

24. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    Can you detach the fire extinguisher and see how much it weighs? Just curious to see how much it weighs.

25. RC33

RC33 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2005
    Garden City
    Full Name:
    RC33
    I believe the front lift system adds approximately 10kg over the front axle.