458 Speciale vs. CGT - Owner's impressions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Speciale vs. CGT - Owner's impressions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Gene-O, May 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I would prefer you trophy, hands down!!

2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Amazing review - Congrats Enjoy on good health :)

3. Cargt63

Cargt63 Karting

Aug 12, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Brilliant write-up. Bravo!

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Congrats. Sweet looking rig man. Enjoy in good health.

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Welcome!

Thanks for the write up on two of my favorite cars!!

Send the text/link to evo!!!

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I would have bet the farm that the second post stating "Trophy 2" was going to be followed by a photo of a woman...

;)

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Great write up. Thanks for posting.

-F

8. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Brilliant write up and thoroughly enjoyed it. Really keen to hear your review once you have given the Spec a true blast.

9. Benternet

Benternet Formula Junior

May 4, 2014
    TN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Fantastic write up, Welcome to the forum..

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic write up. Thank you very much. Welcome and congratulations on your new ride.

11. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    Agreed... looks great in any light !!

12. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    Yes Spare you are correct I did forget to include that... was getting tired :)

And I'd have to say that yes, the sound of the CGT V-10 or virtually any V-12 is hard to beat. It's more musical. It kind of worms it's way into your soul.

The Speciale is a different timbre. More in your face, bit more explosive and you can sort of separate out the individual firings of the pistons until the RPM's get between 8 and 9k, at which point, it's hard to not love it.

And one ironic note! You can't get the full audio effect of the CGT inside the car... totally not kidding!! So much of the sound is directed out the rear and left behind. You literally feel like people outside the car get more of a thrill than you do! The Speciale lets much more of the thrill into the car, which I prefer. BUT, it's hard to beat blasting the CGT on a mountain road with a cliff going up on the right side... the reflections of the sound off the stone is totally crazy.

Hope this explains it better!

Ash Patel likes this.
  13. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    Yeah and I bet you introduce whoever "she" is to that nice leopard skin?? oooooo :)

That is a first in my book... congrats !

I was up at Lime Rock with my CGT at a car show I didn't enter, but the garage I belong to reserved some spaces for us next to the show (which completely used up the entire track), so I parked, walked around... came back... some judges walking around my car... so I popped the carbon fiber roof panels off and let them feel how light they were... next thing I know... they show up with an award. Got second place in my category. Could have knocked me over with a feather :)

14. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    So this may not be the right place to post this so apologies in advance, but I'm so overwhelmed by your kind words I thought I'd offer up a little "thank you". You guys are a great group... so glad to be here!

Go to Youtube

Search for the following: TUNED 700hp Supra

It's the post with 1.5 million views. It's self-explanatory. That's my other car, which I've had since 1999.

This is the other reason I was OK giving up my "analog" ride... this is my "scare the crap out of any passenger... and no you can't drive it" car.

And this narrator has no idea what lag is BTW. Trust me... in the power band, with the latest goodies added... there is zero lag at this point.

Enjoy :)

15. MLA

MLA Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you for the great write up! Enjoy the Speciale-

16. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Even the "best" magazine reviews of any car can never quite grasp the nuances of a car. I have found that it isn't until you have had lived with the car - as well as paid for the pleasure (!) that you really understand its strengths and weaknesses.
    Thank you so much for your insightful review/comparison.
    Best

17. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Interesting review - i own both and don't agree with much of what you've said about the GT. Sounds like you didn't get to grips with it. They compliment each other perfectly.

18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Would you care to share an in-depth review of the two? Would enjoy hearing your perspective, especially as it compares/contrasts with Gene's....

19. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    #44 Gene-O, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    I would love to hear your experiences. Your statement about "getting to grips with it" was a bit puzzling given that I did love the car for the many years I owned and drove it, but to each his own :) Perhaps you thought I didn't have fun. I did. It was a blast. Ask the people who drove with me (some of whom turned a bit pale, others whooped out loud).

Also maybe re-read the beginning of the thread. I state why I sold it and it had nothing to do with not enjoying it or in wanting a "better" car. The CGT is everything good that is stated about it. Another poster had the right idea, in that comparing them is only as good as comparing older vs. newer technology. But I'm not stating any dislike for the car, merely getting into the minutia of the differences between two excellent specimens of the species :)

20. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    #45 LABrit, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Fair play Gene-O, that's what i extracted from your post, which was a very interesting read!

Briefly:

I personally think the GT destroys the Speciale in terms of rawness, focus, driver skill required, sense of occassion etc...the Speciale has SO many electronic nannies (in race mode) that you just floor it everywhere, enter corners at phenomenal speed, late braking as you trust the chassis and computers so much more than in the GT. I drive the Speciale around like an absolute lunatic 90% of the time (7700 miles so far) and the great thing is that for the other 10% it's more comfortable than most other dd's, which is the role it plays in my garage...which says a lot. It's great to hop into every day!

The thing is, I'm NOT the best driver out there and it makes me feel that way! On track it is incredibly forgiving, easy to play with etc. It's simply FAR more accessible than the GT. It is without a doubt THE best flappy paddle car i've ever owned and driven as most always felt remote and lacking in character, which the Speciale has in abundance!

The "problem" that you then achieve with these modern, flappy paddle cars is that you have a "sense" of control and accessibility to speed which you simply need balls of steel to be able to achieve in an analogue supercar such as the GT. A few months ago i tracked the the Speciale @ SPA with a group of friends, one of which brought his GT along. Until he had driven me in at 9/10ths for 3 laps i had no idea just how competent the GT truly is as you can't get anywhere near it's potential on the street without being in serious danger of doing some damage to yourself and or others. I was laughing like an 8 year old, absolutely amazed by how capable it was around the corners. The brakes, the acceleration, the handling! It was literally like a race car on track, which i has the pleasure of later that day. On track it is devastatingly precise and by god what a weapon! You simply need HUGE balls to be able to use it in that way (note i was driven around in a members car on track as he is vastly more experienced in the GT than myself and it set my world on fire)!!!

Long story short they are the best of both worlds - old and new. The magic of the Speciale is in just how accessible it's performance is. I use it every day and drive the crap out of it without a second thought...which is something that is in fact lost on it IMO. I say this as when i am taking the GT out i am excited for hours before hand, love the manual interaction with the car, the focus you require to drive it, the direct steering (which isn't artificially light as with the Speciale) and feel the adrenalin for a while after it's tucked away! It's a car which i was correctly informed can take years to master. That really is the best thing about it - the car is simply so much better than the average driver that it can easily be lost on one who doesn't use it regularly or push it hard, which isn't easy! It's a constant challenge, a beast that can hurt you if you don't concentrate and that's what i love about it - the sense of trepidation you feel before going on a hoon! The only pair i'd rather have more is perhaps upgrading the GT to an F40 but that's a whole other thread and discussion!

Question for you - you mentioned the GT felt nervous - did you have the latest tyres on? They make a drastic difference.

Josh

mclaren slr likes this.
  21. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Some pics from Yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Older:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. gt2urbo

gt2urbo Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    LA
    think the speciale is calm. turn the dsc off and then esc off . its alot of fun

23. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OT: Why don't tapatalk pics uploaded on your phone embed automatically on the site?

gt2urbo - the Speciale is a hooligan of a machine. It's anything but calm unless you drive like a granny! I have a Capristo on mine with 200 cel cats and it's amazing!

24. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006

25. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    #50 NYC123, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I currently own a speciale and had owned a CGT in the past and very much agree with all of this. Well said. My issue is I just did not have nearly enough time to really drive and get comfortable pushing the CGT... I do really like the concept of having a pair old and new in terms if technology..... the current partner to my modern black speciale is this old beast.... its not a CGT but perhaps the only car in the world I have ever owned that feels even more raw and mechanical...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mclaren slr likes this.