458 Spider front and rear dashcam | FerrariChat

458 Spider front and rear dashcam

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by James A, Jan 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    Hi, Just got my first Ferrari (458 spider) and was thinking of fitting a dashcam for some security, extra insurance, and potentially fun.

My question is has anyone fitted a two channel (front and rear) system in a 458 spider and if so how has it worked out / been done and if possible do you have any pics of the cameras in place.

Put simply, I'm not too sure how best to fit the rear camera so it works well with the retractable roof.

All comments greatly appreciated.

PS Have to say the car is simply awesome, can't wait for the UK weather to improve!!

MalibuGuy likes this.
  2. Amun

Amun Rookie

Nov 28, 2017
    Full Name:
    Asan mun
    I have the Italia they are amazing cars , you’ll love it. Haven’t tried the dash cam but will be interested to see what responses you get.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    My Speciale has a front facing dashcam that's hardwired with a Power Management system, so it operates even when parked. The model is a Blackvue 750S

I used a Blendmount to mount it to the rear view mirror.

The Spider makes it tough to mount the rear camera. May not be possible. Only thing I can think of is placing it right behind the retractable rear glass window, but at the bottom closer to the parcel shelf. Definitely cannot place it on the roof or glass itself.

4. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    I'd also be interested in the fitting of front/rear cams for the 458 spider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Bump - any other ideas from knowledgable members? Especially the rear mount options. Any photos would be great.

6. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
    Hi ,
    I have the same setup but cant seem to get it to work when parked. Did you wire the power directly to the battery? My power is currently “hooked” to the media display’s power supply.

Thanks

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I hooked it directly to the battery. The media display is likely an ignition-on power source, meaning it only has power when the ignition is on. You want to hook it up to an "always-on" power source.

8. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
    Thanks for your info, I’ll rewire it then. By the way, any issues regarding battery drain now that the car camera has been hooked to the battery? Also, what are the settings on your power manager, such as how much voltage until it cuts the power to the car camera?

9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    My voltage settings were at 12.4V, and my timer was at 24 hours. Never had a battery go flat, and my battery is the crappy OEM one and 3 years old.

10. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    Hi obbob
    Thanks for the suggestion on the Blendmount which looks quite nice. Have you got any pics of the finished install by any chance?

11. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    2nd on this please!

12. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
  13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have a HD dashcam, mounted in the Italia between the two seats.

Don’t expect nice films. It only shows the view in front of the car and is rather boring ....

Greetings from Mel in The Netherlands.

14. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    Obbob,

Could you provide the model # of the Blendmount that you used in your car? I can't find anything compatible with the mirror in my f430 spider. BTW, I'm currently trying to figure out a way to mount the rear-facing camera in my car. Not much luck so far.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Imo, you should fit a cam on the rear window … looking forward ...