458 Suspension lift needed? | FerrariChat

458 Suspension lift needed?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458knows, Mar 19, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458knows

458knows Rookie

Feb 11, 2023
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Sk
    I am closing in on my first Ferrari and I am unsure whether I’ll need a suspension lift on a 458. I have a relatively steep garage entrance but generally how often are people using their lift?

Most of the 458s I’ve come across DONT have the lift and I’m wondering if I should be waiting to find one that does.

Any input and even better if anyone in Los Angeles wants to come over and text it out on their 458! Haha

rob5819 likes this.
  2. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Welcome to FChat. Lots of threads on this topic:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/front-lifter.304653/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/suspension-lifter.640274/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/front-lifter-of-not.381805/

There isn't a consensus. If you don't plan on lowering your car, then you likely won't need a front lift. Just get some type of scrape protector like a skid plate or SlipLo. Many here will disagree with me, but If you plan on lowering the car, then I would advise getting a car with a lift. I didn't have a lifter and lowered my 458. I ended up scraping the bottom of the frunk tub (I had SlipLo installed but this was further back under the car). I needed to be replaced before selling the car. When I ordered my F8, I made sure to get a front lift.

Bottom line is, I would rather have something and not need it than the other way around.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  3. 458knows

458knows Rookie

Feb 11, 2023
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Sk
    Makes total sense, thought about the skid plates for sure. Thought about renting a 458 on Turo to test but would hate to be THAT guy that scrapes someone else’s car.

seems like most of the 10”-12”s in the market don’t have the lift. Would have thought that would have been a desirable spec but I guess not.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    In a word… No
    Have had 430’s and 458’s with no need for a lifter, and I’m in SoCal as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 458knows

458knows Rookie

Feb 11, 2023
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Sk
    Do you find yourself just being smart about certain entrances/roads etc or you’ve found the clearance to be fine realistically anywhere?

6. Praecox

Praecox Rookie

May 7, 2017
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles K.
    Live in So Cal… didn’t need lift for my 458 most of the time… BUT… most of the time is not the same as all the time… and the few times it was needed it was a real damage life saver… same for my Lambo Evo… only regret was putting on a TechArt front bumper on my Porsche Carrera- no lift and did it get scraped to bits…

Need4Spd likes this.
  7. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    ….. what area of LA?
    I have a 2010 at stock height. I must say, very very rarely do I need/use my lift. GT3 P car is an absolute must.

8. 458knows

458knows Rookie

Feb 11, 2023
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Sk
    Northridge/Porter Ranch

that’s good to know, my main concern is driveways and sloped entrances to parking lots etc

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    To give you an idea, the lift increases the front clearance from 135 to 165 mms. ie 30 mm lift
    Also useful if going on a car ferry

10. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    My 458 had 32000 miles on it and I’m 6th owner. No skid plates no lift and not a mark on underside of front bumper when I bought it. 430 was totally different. I did install a front camera though.

11. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Those that haven't needed a lift have probably kept their cars at the stock ride height. Unlike Porsche GT cars or my STO, Ferraris have a fair amount of wheel arch gap. To my eyes, the cars sit too high from the factory. Obviously, it's a personal preference thing. I lowered my F8 and use the front lift every time I take the car out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is what can happen if you lower a car that doesn't have a lift. This was my lowered 458. The scuffed panel was replaced prior to sale.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

So ... if you don't plan on lowering the car, you won't need a lift. But if you do, then you will need one.

AD211, Rexcat458 and Nsd991 like this.
  12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My 430 is a pain to get on a car ferry, bumper long overhang does not help. They have to put rope mats down to get it high enough

Snapshift likes this.
  13. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
  14. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I use the front lift in my 2015 458 Italia everyday I drive it… My driveway approach requires a Sherpa guide and Mt. Everest climbing gear to prevent scraping. Even with extreme angles of approach, I have to use the lift to prevent damage.

There are also some retail establishments in the area that have features that necessitate using the lift. I’m glad my 458 has it and it gets used regularly. So, it just depends on your location and your surface road/street environment. I would rather have it and not need it, then the other way around.

Good luck to you finding your dream Ferrari! I found my 458 three years ago and after almost 14,000 smiles in the drivers seat, it’s still absolutely epic!

Cheers!

RoadRonin likes this.
  15. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    As has been said this has been covered many times across numerous threads, and the answer is always a definitive "Maybe".

It's a function of many things. How steep are the driveways you expect to use? How adverse are you to scrapes and scratches? How long are you willing to wait to find a car with a lift? How much do you care about resale value? How much do you care about reducing the weight of the car? How much do you care about reducing the complexity and failure points?

Personally I opted to get a car with a lift because I wanted peace of mind. But there are times that I've forgotten to use it and nothing bad happened. It's all up to you.

Rexcat458 and RoadRonin like this.
  16. 458knows

458knows Rookie

Feb 11, 2023
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Sk
    Good questions,

when you say how much do you care about resale, are you referring to having a better resale with the lift or possible resale issues if scratches occur?

17. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    When I wrote it I meant the former. But I guess you could argue for the latter, too. More variables to add to the decision.

18. 458knows

458knows Rookie

Feb 11, 2023
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Sk
    Getting so impatient but you’re right should probably wait for the car with the lift to show up

19. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    458 Lift? Mandatory for me in San Diego.

20. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    mine is lowered, no lift, once in a while i'll sort of scrape if its a steep driveway and i don't take it at an angle, but thats about it..

luvair likes this.
  21. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ve used my lift more times then I can remember.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  22. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    LOL, I see you are on the Island and I have homes in Westchester and out in the Hamptons. I use the lift every time I take her out in either place!

OP, it all depends on your terrain in that part of LA LA land. :)

bball16 likes this.