458 values/trends | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 values/trends

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joe P., Mar 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's kind of irrelevant though. In fact, the price you paid for your car was in still effected by all those people who are shopping around for the other stuff.

It's simply math. The amount of exotics offered are growing much faster than the pool of buyers. This leads to more options and lower prices everywhere.

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The last of the metal wheeled cars, the last of the aluminum chassis, the last of this, the last of that....

How many ridiculous things can car buyers use to convinced themselves they have something special?

And there's no proof these cars are the last of anything. People tried that with the 911, idiots paid $500K for an R, and then proceeded to lose $250-300K on the R when the manual GT3 with better everything came out.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Someone should start a new chat forum called DepreciationChat.

Just drive the piss out of the cars, that is why you have them. Otherwise lease a Bentley and replace every 2 years.
    Just got back from another road trip throug NC mountains, Tail of the Dragon (yet again...), even ended up doing miles off road (should have seen the propel in Subaru’s and Land Rovers wide-eyed in wonder at what they were seeing). :eek: :)

tekaefixe and John Salvador like this.
  4. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    What group did that drive through the NC mountains? When was it? I would have loved to have been a part of that drive.

Thecadster likes this.
  5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 488 is the first mid engine Ferrari that has not been unanimously preferred over its predecessor. From the early 3 series until the 458, the new model was virtually universally viewed as more desirable. The 458 is still favored by many primarily due to the NA engine and the inherent driving dynamics accompanied by that engine. The 488, while admired by Ferrari enthusiasts is embraced by a lesser group. Witness the excitement over the Pista. The hope is that this model will finally extinguish the fondness for the 458 and ignite new passion among the cognoscenti. But wait until the new model from Ferrari is introduced that will replace both. New technology , enhanced performance capabilty and styling that will prove irrestible to the faithful. The 488 will become yesterday's news.

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #56 italiafan, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    It was organized through our Dealer (Ferrari of Central Florida/Ferrari of Tampa).
    The Triarsi family does a lot to make clients feel involved and social: trips, parties, dinners, phone calls on holidays, etc.
    4 of us drove 12.5 hours back, rather than ship cars, was able to avoid highways through Georgia.
    Beautiful drives...that is what these cars are about.
    Now up to 22K miles on my 458 Spider...plan to get into the hundreds of thousands with it.

7. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Italiafan -- Now that you have 22k on your car I'll offer you 125k for it . Seriously high mileage but of course my offer is in jest LOL !! After all this dialog on the rates of depreciation where do we think the 458 coupe or spider will be in a year ? Hope to pull the trigger on one about that time .

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    So the 348 was unanimously preferred over the 308/328? I'm also not convinced that the 360 Modena is preferred over the 355.
    I have to admit though that for whatever reason the 458 owners are really fanatical ;)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

We do tend to be “nutz” for our 458s!
    :)

Ash Patel likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In every car group, there exists a small minority that harken back to the good old days when cars were simpler, more mechanical, hard core and required greater driver input. Due to its forced induction engine, driver aids and digitalization, it is doubtful that time will be as kind to the 488.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 458 and 488 are not that different, the only real change is the turbocharging - all the rest is very similar. The 458 already has tons of driver aids, and it introduced the DCT which is a spectacular technical refinement completely opposed to mechanical simplicity.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    For many Ferrari owners, they believe there is a substantive difference in the sound and driving dynamics between the 2 cars.

13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Geez bro , why offer so much ? :)

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

FWIW, I was that fanatical 458 guy until I drove the 488 spider and could wrap my head around spending 170 grand more to trade for the new rig. At the end of the day I’m thrilled with my new 488 Spider . Best , Kirk.

Melvok and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  15. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Prices seem to be all over the place with 458’s. I typically buy cars with miles so I don’t take a huge hit when I move on. I’ve been shopping for a higher mileage car for a minute

16. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I've posted this in other threads on the forum but I can't wrap my head about what is considered high mileage on a Ferrari and the hit the resale takes from it .I also noticed those cars are slow to sell . Personally , I'm not afraid of higher mileage but it would have to be bought right so It could be sold if need be in a timely manner .

17. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    I’m looking for a 60-80k plus miles or more. Miles don’t scare me at all .

Melvok and Johnfromjersey like this.
  18. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I always thought anything over 15-20k on a Ferrari was high mileage ! LOL!!

19. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    I’m seeing some with 60k plus and still going. My gallardo has 64k and going strong

dustman likes this.
  20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The thing about high mileage cars is that you buy them for less and sell them for less. Is important to weigh low entry price vs just getting the car you want.

When you go to sell, you're going to sell for less, so if you can sell a 120k car for 110k or a 150k car for 140k, the cost is the same, just one is harder to sell and riskier to own.

Gotta balance that. I don't think 60k mile exotics are the ones to but. Buy 30k imo.

21. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    just have to catch them on the depreciate side. once they hit a certain point they don’t go down anymore. I drive cars so no point in a low mileage one

22. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I suppose it all depends on what you have to pay for one. Just out of curiousity what would be a fair price for a moderately optioned red 458 coupe ? Say a 2013 . Don't have one in the works just trying to figure what other forumites think. As I said selling it with miles on it might be a challenge .

23. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hopefully I'm 6 months away from serious 458 shopping. I'm on the sidelines till June and would love to get a "nice" (whatever that means) red 458 for 150k-ish.

24. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    There’s tons of cars out there in that 150k price point. Also prices are relative but I personally don’t think 458’s have really hit the bottom of their depreciation just yet.

25. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    150k ish is good to know . If I could get something fairly nice for that it would be doable.