458 vs 650s | FerrariChat

458 vs 650s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dennis Cos, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dennis Cos

Dennis Cos Rookie

Jan 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cos
    Hey all,

Im new to the site so thanks for being here...
    Im about ready to trade in a 2013 458 Italia coupe for a 2015 650s Mclaren Spider.

Im having real anxiety over letting my 458 go. Anyone here with experience on the two?

I saw one post (which led me here) on this topic but the activity was pretty old.

Thanks for any input you have to offer!
    Dennis

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No no no and a 1000 times no.

Im a huge Mclaren fan. Massive. Own a 720. But the 650 is the opposite of engaging and fun. Unless you test drove it and fell in love with the 650, not in a million years would I do it. And this is coming from a Mclaren owner who is thoroughly impressed with the company on many levels. But not the 650. Dont do it.

Did I mention not to do it.

Btw- dont trade in your 458 for a 650.

If I haven't said it already, dont get a 650 in lieu of your 458.

If you havent heard......the 650 is not as fun and engaging as a 458. Unless you like to drive a vacuum cleaner.

Did I happen to mention I actually like Mclaren?

tekaefixe, wtran, Graz and 12 others like this.
  3. Throw in a bit more money and try to find a nice 675LT.

4. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    I’ve owned a 2015 650S and also a 458. PLEASE don’t trade a 458 for a 650S. 458 is a much better sounding, more reliable, better overall car.

SPOM13 and Kelowna like this.
  5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Friend of mine has a 720S and a 458. The McLaren is for sale the 458 is not.

His reason being the 720S is like a quantum computer that take the enjoyment out of the drive, whereas the 458 is much more fun and makes better noises.

Very few people will be able to push either car to their limits anyway...so my personal choice would be the one that gets more smiles per gallon.

Clay512TR and Kelowna like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This on so many levels.

I can't convey the numb and disconnected feeling I got from driving the 650S. And that's before getting into the boost threshold lag and response lag. Do I dare say I feel a 991 TTS is more engaging than the 650S.

If you value driving, and you even have the slightest doubt, DON'T! it is the one modern mid engined exotic that never fails to leave me asking the same question. What the hell were they thinking?!

Now of course, if you go to the McLaren forum and ask all the 650S owners, they will of course tell you to get the 650S. It is after all never easy to give way to the thought that there might be something better than your pride and joy.

Lastly, and I'm usually not big on debating depreciation. To quote James May "Depreciation is just something that goes on while you're asleep or in the pub - who cares!".
    But you might consider the fact that hour 458 might plateau within the next two years. The 650S seems to be in a dive that will inevitably end in a fiery crash.

Like Socal said. If you have driven it for more than an hour and have for some unexplainable masochistic reason fallen in love with it, by all means. If not, don't walk away - RUN!

7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    As always… You gentlemen on here really do seem to know what you were talking about. That’s why I love this forum.

A good friend of mine from down the street that is a diehard Ferrari fan with several in his garage, just picked up a 2015 650 spider over the weekend. 8000 miles. A $350,000 car and he bought it for $132,000. That’s obviously more than a 50% depreciation in just about four years. That is lunacy.

That said, he didn’t have to sell anything to buy it , so since he practically stole it. He thinks it’ll just be a fun toy to have for a couple years. He’s also lucky to have a scud and a 360 and a testarossa in his garage

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ivinsea likes this.
  8. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Btw the only reason I bought a 650S was because Ferrari wouldn’t let me buy a new 458. So I got a new 12C spider ( had issues) got a new 650S spider and then ultimately landed back at Ferrari.

9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    OP how about 600LT?

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    great choice.

Surfah likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    please don’t put the 720 in the same category of the 650. I also own a 720 and completely disagree with your friends assessment. It’s one of the best cars I’ve ever owned.

I understand everyone has different preferences but the 720 is surgical, precise and powerful. My condemnation of the 650 is limited to the 650 and not McLaren as a whole. The 720 is a beast and I have no plans of selling mine anytime soon.

tekaefixe, Caeruleus11 and Boomhauer like this.
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Do not get a 650. Terrible.
    Yes a 720, but then compare to 488.

tr328 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Obviously the 720 is a better car...arguably one of the best cars you can get for the money period.

That doesn't make it the most enjoyable. That's my point...

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I test drove the 650s, and was not too impressed after the drive. I have to admit, the speed was VERY impressive, but I couldn’t connect with the car. It felt too “electronic” or “isolated” to me. I was thinking that I was nuts because I preferred my 360 over it. Sure my 360 felt broken (speed wise) after driving that thing, but I just felt more connected to the car. It felt more alive. I also test drove the 570s, and I have to say, I MUCH prefer it over the 650. It is a very nicely designed car. Not only is it really fast, but it feels more like a drivers car. All that said, I drive a 458 now, and I like it the best by far. It is the most entertaining, mostly due to sound. It also has a nice balance of raw vs civilized (racing seats are a must). I like that it has multiple personalities, and it’s definitely fast enough.

Gn_, Clay512TR and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    The O.P. is shopping for a car in the Mid - 150K price range and you guys are suggesting cars that cost $100K more then that.

To the O.P. How long have you held your 458? Is it a forever hold car or you just want to try something different. In the current price range, your options would be a gt3, 650s and a 570.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 458 by a wide margin. It is far more engaging, compelling and thrilling to drive. The engine sound is in a highly elevated realm. No comparison on virtually every objective metric but even more so on the heightened emotional level.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure that angle is entirely correct. The way I'm reading it, the OP is not looking to replace the 458 at a specific cost, nor fully set kn replacing the 458. Looks like he is just interested to see if the 650S is a viable alternative. The OP has at no point talked about a max price etc. So I see no reason why it's of no interest talking about alternatives.

Just sayin'.

Surfah likes this.
  18. Dennis Cos

Dennis Cos Rookie

Jan 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cos
    First, Thanks everyone for the replies and food for thought(s). My reasoning had some to do with financial reasons, lease and what not and the lure of a new toy. I see that everyone thats replied is not a 650 fan a. The depreciation is a real thing. While I got a real good deal on the 458 in the first place, the value I (WAS) getting for the 458 is close to what I paid 4 years ago, of course I know its all relative when trades are concerned but the dep is real thing on those macs. .

As far as the cars go, yes, I have to agree. I drove the 458 this weekend and just love that car. Im gonna keep the 458.

Graz, Avia11 and Clay512TR like this.
  19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Good choice!

Avia11 and Clay512TR like this.