low mileage car problems | FerrariChat

low mileage car problems

Discussion in '308/328' started by Albert-LP, Sep 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #1 Albert-LP, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just ordered a brand new differential for my 25 k miles (certified) GTB turbo. The gears and bearings there are inside the old one are totally destroyed and full of rust. Fortunately the rust did not affect the gearbox, that is still ok even if it had to be cleaned by the rust deposit.

The mechanic told me that's a problem that just very low mileage cars have, or cars that were sitting for long time, mine is one of those.

So sometimes better choose a car that did some miles.

The only good news is that i realized that i must have my 18 k miles 328 differential opened and cleaned as soon as possible, before it will be destroyed by rust too.

ciao
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Do you know if the differential was ever serviced (fluids change) before you got the car?

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is from not changing the oil every year. Very common. The gears will be fine in most cases.

Water condensation is one big reason oil and gear oil should be changed yearly.

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Do you change gearbox oil every year?

Ciao

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On my own and every client car. I have seen what you are going through and don't want any of my clients to bear that expense.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It's easy.

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #7 Albert-LP, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    No car requires gearbox oil change every year. 3x8 has the big issue of no oil in the differential, that's the problem. You can change gearbox oil even every month, but if you do not drive the car the differential will have big problems.

Ciao

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Have it your way.

You are the one with an expensive repair on your hands. My customers do not.

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #9 Albert-LP, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    I purchased the car just two months ago. I just wrote what my mechanics told me. If the problem was the old oil, my gearbox would be destroyed but it's still Perfect: i think you do not focused what destroys diffenerential gears.

Ciao

10. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I think he does. More than most of us. Deferred maintenance is the biggest killers of f-cars.

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    No he did not. He did not realize yet that the oil Goes on the differential gears just if the gears rotates at high speed and the oil warm up a lot as it's not enough to change oil to have oil touch the differential gears, that are all above oil Level so they aren't touched by the new oil you put inside the gearbox. Hope i explained why it's much more important to drive the car than change the oil in the gearbox.

Please think about it

Ciao

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #12 Albert-LP, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    The problems are the two satellites inside the differential: they are almost sealed in, there is just a small hole (1/2" inch more or less) through which the oil can reach the two satellites. The hole is at an higher level than the oil level so it has to be very hot and shaked very quickly to reach those two satellises. Change often gearbox oil can help a bit, but if you do not drive the car for a long time, it won't ever reach the two satellites. The mechanic says the differential works more with "oil vapours" than oil itself. Yes, if you have fresh oil in the gearbox is better, but not enough to avoid that problem, that is avoided (even with old oil) if you dirve often the car and not just for few miles.

I know Rifledriver has a lot of knowledge about those cars, but i think in this case he has to learn something more. My mechanic is not stupid, serviced hundreds 3X8 since 35 years, his shop is 20 yards from the factory and worldwide famous: if he told me that, means he saw many times that problem. He says if you open a 3X8the differential, you always will see some big play and the bigger play is on the low mileage cars.

Here a new differential costs 1800 euro + VAT

ciao

13. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I am sure your mechanic is right but this situation is not much different from any other car. Any car, when not driven for a long time, and stored in damp conditions, will have oil drain away from the diff and probably parts of the other gears as well, also camshafts, cylinder bores etc etc.

If the diff is a write-off because of this problem it suggests the general state of all the other steel parts of the powertrain will also be bad.

It seems like an extreme case, car not run for a long time and left in a very damp location. I would not think this would happen in a hot, dry climate but definitely does happen in Europe. I have a friend who bought a BMW which, unknown to him, had exactly this problem. Half of the crownwheel was all rusty, the part of it not immersed in oil.

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The gearbox has no sign of wear: it's perfect, you can see pictures, while the differential is destroyed and now has been thrown into the garbage. I already have the new one installed. My Lamborghini Countach had separated oil for differential and 4 liters (4+ quarts) of oil in it, so all cars are different from eachother with different problems. The 3X8 differential has the big problems that it does not touch the oil level ever while rotating so the draining process is by far faster with rust problems and wear problems.

And if you do not drive often the car for several miles, the oil will never reach high temperatures and will never make wet enough the differentials gears (the two satellites there are inside)

This is what i learned from the mechanic and after seeing the differential opened and out of the case. It was impressive to see how destroyed the satellites were while the gearbox gears were in perfect conditions despite being in the same case with the same oil.

ciao

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    A dumb question: Other than taking apart the differential to determine rust, are there any plugs that can be removed to insert a scope or sampling swab to determine the presence of severe rust?

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    no, there aren't, sorry

ciao

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #18 Albert-LP, Sep 3, 2014
    there isn't any spray nozzle nor oil passage from the oil pump to differential gears. The oil pump just serves the crankshaft. The gearbox has no oil pump. Differential has big oil problems, that's a factory fault that becomes bigger if you do not drive the car often and enough.
    I saw another differential on the mechanic shop desk with a lot of play: he told me "that's very common in rarely driven cars". They say the only 3x8 cars that do not suffer of that problems are high mileage cars regulary driven. I have to say that mine had an enormous play and a lot of rust, that means the car sitted for a lot of time and probably when it was almost new so the rust started 20 years ago or something like that. Usually those cars start sitting when old, so rust starts when the car is just old and has not enough time to destroy gears like it did on my differential. My car did just 9 k miles in its first 15 years of life, then it started to move: many rust as it sitted when new and 15 k miles done with rusted gears from 2004 to today, so the differential gears broke off. Usually vintage cars do many miles when new and low when old, mine did the opposite so it destroyed the gears. That's my theory about what happened.

ciao

18. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Yes it does have a pump. I dont know the details of oil flow but I would be very surprised if the pump does not direct oil onto the diff.

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #20 Albert-LP, Sep 3, 2014
    There isn't any oil passage from the gearbox oil pump to the differential gears: that's the reason why they fail.

But you are right : there is a gear pump in the gearbox, but not for the differential case zone, just for the gearbox shafts. I did a mistake, it's not easy this tech discussion in english.

I saw it with my eyes.

THERE IS NO OIL IN PRESSURE THAT GOES TO THE DIFFERENTIAL SATELLITES NOR THEY ARE TOUCHED DIRECTLY BY THE OIL IN THE GEARBOX SUMP.

Changing oil frequently helps, but it's not enough to solve the problem as you must have oil flying at high speed into the gearbox to give the possibility to some oil to reach the differential gears. Ok? that's not an opinion, it's a fact. An expensive fact...

ciao

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    There is not any possibility, but i think it's not necessary to inspect. The way to know if there is some problem inside the differential is this: drive the car at low speed and at low rpm in a turn, so the differential has to work. If you hear some soft "tock - tock" noise from the rear axle (like a supension bushing problem) just when the car turns, you have better to take out the differential, open and clean it from rust and register it to reduce play among gears before destroying it..
    If you hear a more strong "tock-tock" noise or you even hear some noise when you push the car by hands, i think it's too late as it happened to me.

ciao

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is what positraction additive is for.

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What is your fluid recommendation?

Do you add and additive as well?

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I use Redline MTL. It shifts really well and the 308/328 has no hypoid so has less need for the very high EP capabilities of GL5. Not all the diffs chatter without posi additive and since it, by its very nature inhibits syncro action I do not use it unless there is some diff chatter. Since the GM whale oil additive was banned in the US many years ago the Redline additive is what I use.

I would not be surprised by now if the whale oil additives have been banned in the EU as well.

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Rifledriver, does positraction additive go by itself from the sump to the satellites inside the differential even if you do not drive the car? If it can, i will buy it.

ciao