Cambelt pulley replacement | FerrariChat

Cambelt pulley replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by snowsports1, Jan 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi I am just doing a cambelt replacement on my 308 gt4 and have noticed one of the camshaft pulleys rim is coming apart from the body. The others look fine. The belts are off and the cam pulley positions are marked at Tdc. Can I replace the cam pulley by undoing the nut and simply swoping it for a new one? I presume the cam pulley has a key way so as long as I mark the new one as the old it is a straight swop?

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, you can remove the center bolt, I just replaced two broken plastic pulleys a few months ago on a 77 308 on the front bank. It's hard to find a good condition plastic pulley as they don't make them anymore but, they do make a metal ones but expen$ive. Make sure when removing the bolt, to secure and lock the pulley then, preferably use an impact wrench.

3. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks Mike I might nick one off my Gtb and upgrade that to alumimium when the engine comes out.

4. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #4 mwr4440, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Look closely. The cam pulley is held in place with a 'headed' pin, washer and the big bolt on the end. You may need an impact wrench to loosen the bolt.

Put reference marks on everything including the new cog. The marks on the old and new cog must be in the identical location.

Mark the hole the pin is in in the cam pulley AND cam shaft.

Lock the cam so it cannot move or mark it in a way you can tell if it did and by much.

Remove the bolt. Remove the pin and pull. The cog should come off with a bit of effort. Put the new cog on and put the pin thru the marked holes.

Put the big bolt and washer back on with a new O-ring. Make sure the washer has slipped to its limit properly and torque to spec.

The marks on all cogs and the new belt should line up as before and the cam should not have rotated or 'drifted.'

That is the general idea of this procedure. Somebody else may offer some 'tips & tricks.'

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    If the fence is in tact and not broken you can always glue it back on. This has been done successfully in the past. I think there is a post somewhere about this.

6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    My '82 308GTSi has an O ring behind the cam pulley bolt which must be replaced. My cams also have a hex for a large cresent wrench. The bolt is torqued to 80psi.

7. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My pulley has rotational movement approx 3 degrees each way. The tensioner mechanism spring loaded part is currently lubricated with copper slick grease. Is this best taken apart, cleaned and fresh copper slick applied?

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 miketuason, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Ok thanks, great response guys

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You should not have any rotational movement on your pulleys with the index pin inserted. 6 degrees of total movement is unacceptable.

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Do you mean that you have that much rotational play between the pulley and the cam with the bolt loose (like someone got frustrated and wrongly ground down the alignment pin when they didn't understand how the adjustment works), or

You have that much slop in the belt so that when you rotate the pulley and cam together (with the bolt tight) it has that much rotational movement?

It is important that the tensioner mechanism is properly cleaned/lubed (but it's not a dynamic thing after being locked down -- so it's not rocket-science ;)).

12. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The pulley I am talking about changing, the rim is loose on the body. You can rattle it side to side without turning the cam

13. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    By "Rim" you mean the side flange which prevents the belt from running sideways off the edge of the pulley? Not the actual part the belt runs on (hopefully!).

14. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    No it is the part the belt runs on, ie not good and needs to be changed, not glued. I drove from Glasgow to Basingstoke area when I collected this car 😯

15. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Crikey!

16. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Please show us a pic. This makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

17. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
  18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- the molded outer shell has separated from the steel inner core. Don't start it again like that ;)

19. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
  20. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    WoWzers!!!!!!

Been to three World Fairs and a goat race and I ain't seen noting like that !!! :eek:

WHAT HE SAID !!!!!!

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Welcome to what happens to the plastic sprockets when someone (wrongly) tries to put the timing belt on by just compressing the tensioner -- the fence gets broken off. Each sprocket/pulley on each bank should have one fence IIRC (one inboard and the other outboard) -- see the SPC or OM figures.

22. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Looks like I am changing the whole set then, alumimium superformance?

23. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's usually just the outboard fences that get broken off -- have you lost the inboard fence on each bank as well?

(Can't help with the replacement sourcing, but I'd, personally, go with a healthy stock set or an aftermarket set just based on better price.)

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    IIRC, there are stock metal ones that will work on our engines with OEM plastic pulleys. I'm fairly noobish, so anyone who knows for sure, please help confirm as I was thinking of swapping my plastics for OEM metal.

Ciao!

Hannibal

25. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #25 mwr4440, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    Oh, and it gets better.

There are aluminum that use the OEM Belt deign(I have anodized red ones) and others that use the modern rounded tooth belt design and are adjustable to advance or retard the cams. Examples of both can be found in threads here.

The thing I Really Like about mine is the cog and fence are all one piece. They cannot be broken off.

Ferrari never made any metal ones for the 3x8 cars IIRC.