488/F8 2nd Amp Development from Scuderia Audio | FerrariChat

488/F8 2nd Amp Development from Scuderia Audio

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoftwareDrone, Jun 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Many of you may already be familiar with my amp/shelf/harness setup where you can completely bypass the stock amplifier (or no amplifier) in favor of a high-powered aftermarket amp with a built-in digital signal processor.
    However, if your 488 or F8 (and others) has the JBL hi-fi option with the 16-channel amplifier, completely replacing the stock amp may actually be counterproductive. If you are a hard-core audiophile who doesn't mind tearing out the entire audio system and is not opposed to installing a huge aftermarket 16 channel replacement amplifier as well as a digital signal processor in the front trunk (because that's the only location gear of this size is going to fit), then bypassing the stock 16-channel amp is the logical choice. However, you really don't have to do all that in order to achieve great sound in your car. All you need to do is to rectify the shortcomings of the hi-fi system, which are:
    1. No subwoofer.
    2. Not enough power to run a subwoofer if you had one.
    3. Stock speakers are average at best.

The stock JBL "Professional" 16 channel amplifier is actually a high-quality piece of equipment, as long as you don't ask it to power a large sub. Removing the amp and replacing it with a high power (but fewer channels) amp solves problem #2 but at the expense of the ability to use all of the remaining speakers in the car.

What these systems need is better speakers (powered by the same stock high quality amp), a subwoofer (obviously) and an extra amplifier to power the subwoofer. This gives you the best of all worlds. Better sound quality, better imaging and a decent bottom end.

The most straightforward way to hook up such a system would be to intercept the signals coming out of the stock amplifier and run them through an additional amp. However, these signals are not optimized for a subwoofer as these signals are being sent to small midrange speakers in the rear of the cabin. There are pieces of car audio signal processing equipment that can solve this problem, but most units have several channels, a large footprint and are high priced. I have found a very small, two channel signal conditioner that is perfect for this application. I also have a very small, 200-Watt stereo amplifier with a built in 80 cycle crossover, perfect for an 8 inch subwoofer. I have literally sold over 300 of these small amplifiers for Ferrari 360 and 430 applications. With my new system, these units will interface with the stock amp with one harness that takes care of the musical signals, amplifier power, ground and turn on signal. Totally 100% plug and play. And this gear will mount on the same amplifier shelf that has previously housed the multi channel DSP amp.

Installing this system couldn't be easier. Once you gain access to the stock amp, you unplug three of the five connectors to the amp, plug these into my harness, plug my three plugs back into the amp, then plug the connectors at the other end into the new small amp and small signal conditioner. No running wires to the battery, chassis, fuse box, etc. Just bolt my subwoofer to the firewall and run a speaker wire to the sub.

With high end speakers in the doors, the remaining speakers as is, and an 8 inch subwoofer behind you powered by 200 watts of high end power, you will have a phenomenal sounding system. And, I might add, without breaking the bank.

Attached is a picture of my conventional amp/shelf (which I have already sold dozens of) and the new "add an amp" system for the 16 channel hi-fi cars.

Watch this thread for updates.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DefunctNeurons and AD211 like this.
  2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've made some good progress. I've finally sourced all the connectors needed for the JBL "Professional" 16 channel hi-fi amps. It's easy to source the connectors when they're > $120.00 apiece, a bit more difficult to find the exact same connectors for ten bucks.
    I also have the definitive word on the input signal protocol for the hi-fi amps. Basically any plan other than intercepting the output signals and running them through some sort of input line converter would be incredibly expensive and complicated.
    I should have the first hi-fi system completed by this weekend.

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I tried to make a hi-fi harness yesterday but was unsuccessful. I start with half a harness from another application. When I looked closely, I noticed that some of the wires were missing from connector set B. After some research, I found the actual electrical crimping pins from Mouser, so I had some overnighted to me.
    It's a lot of work to make a hi-fi harness. Connector set A takes care of the main power and ground, connector set B is all of the left speaker outputs, connector set C is all of the right speaker outputs and connector set D are all the inputs and the CAN bus. A has 2 wires, B has 16, C has 16 and D has 11. Since the amp is digital, I normally wouldn't need to touch the input connectors. However, the amp turn on (accessory pin) is on that connector set. So, I need to purchase a male connector, a female connector, 22 pins, cut and strip 22 wires, crimp on the 22 pins, install the pins into the connectors and lock them down, and all for one amp turn on wire. I could have taken a shortcut and mandated that the customer run a separate wire to the fuse box, but I am determined to make this setup absolutely 100% plug and play. I should have my first prototype complete by Wednesday evening.

SVCalifornia, SeattleStew and AD211 like this.
  4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Last night was much more productive. I discovered how to make some tweaks in order to successfully assemble the input harness. The new pins for the speaker output harness worked perfectly. I did not complete the last harness (power and ground) because I simply ran out of time.
    I thought I would give you guys a sneak peek at the wiring before I taped it all up.
    The harness to the left is the power and ground (which I will complete after work today).
    The next harness is the input harness. This contains digital inputs and CAN bus data wires. Notice the blue wire extended (the amp turn on wire).
    The next harness is the right speaker outputs. The two extended wires are for the right rear speaker.
    The blue harness is for the left speaker outputs. The two white wires are the left rear speaker.
    The four speaker wires culminate into a small 4 pin Molex connector for modularity. The remaining wires (power/ground/turn on) will have their own 3 wire connector. Tonight I should have pictures showing the entire system together (harnesses/amp/shelf).
    I have a 16 channel JBL "Professional" amplifier on the way. I won't be able to fire it up but will use it to make a video to show how easy it is to install the harness. In order to have a "live" system to demonstrate, I would need an InfoTainment screen, a NIT, the amp and all associated harnesses which could easily run north of ten grand (used).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I have the JBL HiFi system in my F8 and wouldn’t mind an upgrade. But not willing to start from scratch.

What are you proposing? I have an installer here in FL that can figure it out, but I don’t want to be a beta tester.

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've been manufacturing and selling harnesses to replace the amplifiers in these late model Ferraris for some time now. However, the JBL 16 channel "Professional" amplifier (that is part of the F8/488/etc. "hi-fi" setup) is actually a very high end amplifier and has more than enough power to drive high end component speakers. However, it does not have enough power to drive a decent subwoofer. This particular harness allows you to add an aftermarket subwoofer amplifier. Notice that each of the four harnesses shown are simple "pass through" harnesses. I am simply hijacking the rear speaker outputs, the amp turn on, the power and the ground to send to another amp to run a sub. This is nothing new. High end car audio shops have been doing this for years. The difference is, they have been physically cutting the speaker wires on the output harness and running a separate power/ground/amp turn on wires. They do this because no one on the planet has an amp add on harness for the JBL Pro amp. Until now. I put in upwards of a hundred man hours of research trying to spec out these individual connectors for this harness, paid degreed electrical engineers to research the amp circuitry, and paid several hundred dollars to legally obtain all of the official Ferrari factory electronics documentation for these high end systems.
    In this video, I demonstrate a few of my amp replacement harnesses ().

So the "kit" will include an Auto CAD designed shelf made from aircraft aluminum that mounts right above the car battery and holds a very small but powerful 200 Watt dedicated amplifier for the subwoofer and a piece of signal processing equipment. All you do is install the shelf, bolt the amp and the keyloc to the shelf, plug in this harness and run a cable back to the firewall to your subwoofer. It's the easiest setup known to man. Everything is 100% plug and play and completely reversible with no trace.

Now, if you don't want a subwoofer, you do not need this kit. Simply adding my high end F8 component speaker upgrade kit will provide a significant improvement in the sound quality. Go to www.scuderiaaudio.com for details.

SVCalifornia likes this.
  7. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I thought I would give you guys one more peek before I taped everything up.

1. Unplug the stock harness from the amp.
    2. Plug my harness into the amp.
    3. Plug the stock harness into my harness.

The wires that are hanging off the edge of the countertop are the rear left and right speaker wires, the power, ground and amp turn on. Everything you need to add a 100% plug and play subwoofer amplifier.
    I need to catch up on a couple of orders (a 488 out of Hong Kong and a 458 local) then will post more pictures of the complete setup.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

SeattleStew likes this.
  8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was planning on trying to wrap all four harnesses together into one big harness, but now I'm thinking it might be easier for the installer if I kept them separate.

I just have to say that this project would not have been possible if not for Stew and baby tooth doctor. They are incredible individuals. Thank you guys.

I am wiped out. Will hook up the amp and Keylok tomorrow and post the completed pictures.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was up until 3AM this morning filming my new YouTube video for these "add an amp" harnesses. I'll edit and publish the video this weekend at the latest.

10. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    always fun to watch your progress Mike, and your love of these cars. Thanks for everything you do for the community.

SoftwareDrone and AD211 like this.
  11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! :)

Here is an image of the complete system. It is SO simple. Unplug the car harness from the JBL amp, plug my harness into the JBL amp, plug the car harness into my harness. Mount the amp shelf above the battery. Plug the other end of my harness into the amp. Run the subwoofer cable to the firewall and mount the sub to the firewall (two bolts). Done!

Image Unavailable, Please Login