488 GTB (458 replacement) | Page 116 | FerrariChat

488 GTB (458 replacement)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    To me, it's never been about the "latest and greatest." I have only expressed my opinion about the appearance of the 488. I stated that I expect it to be a smashing sales success. With the (possible) exception of the FF, when has any new Ferrari not been madly sought after? I have a Dino 246 GT which I have owned for 39 years. It's nothing close to fast, and wasn't even so when it was new, but I'd never sell it. As a Ferrari owner and aficionado, I have commented on the 488's appearance. However, I'm not trying to justify not buying one. Many Ferrari Chat members seem to treat these threads as if they were part of a debate, with the topic: "Resolved. The 488 GTB is beautiful (or ugly)." No one on this forum is going to convince anyone else to change his or her opinion on the car's sound or appearance. If we were all required to order one to stay in the Ferrari game, it would pose a serious problem. I enjoy reading everyone's comments, and fortunately I've never "had to have" any particular Ferrari or other vehicle. To all who might think that I'm putting down the 488, or criticizing the practice of always buying the latest model as soon as it is available, nothing could be further from the truth. I salute anyone who buys any Ferrari, old or new. Fred

2. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    As I've said before I wish I hated the looks of the 488GTB. I unfortunately think its beautiful. The dilemma for me is whether I should add it to my 458 or perish the thought trade the 458. I think I have my answer.

3. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Add it! That is probably the route I'm going. I think that is the only answer. Now just need more garage space...

4. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    I must admit that few members changed my opinion about some F cars. For instance, my initial opinion about FF was pretty negative. After reading first-hand impressions from forum owners, my thoughts about FF changed in so many ways! Of course, some design elements are still problematic, but without this forum I wouldn't be able to understand true concept of that car and all of its possibilities because various guys used that car for various purposes.

I am sure that a lot of members have big influence on wide forum audience and potential buyers. I remember when we had first threads regarding 458 ownership, people were blown away with that car in so many ways and they tried to prove that with facts. That kind of atmosphere is encouraging for potential buyers. You can see same effect on FF threads, where some guys BOUGHT that car because FF owners were blown away with capabilities and versatility of that car.

So, if we get "meh" owners impressions here on forum about 488 GTB I am sure that will affect some potential buyers to think twice about that car.

5. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
  6. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
  7. jomana

jomana Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2004
    +488

Drama Drama

8. belfiglio

belfiglio Rookie

Sep 13, 2009
    The Ferrari 488 GTB as you've never seen it before: a behind-the-scenes look at the shooting of the official video. Watch the new Ferrari lapping the Ricardo Tormo circuit in Valencia and negotiating the roads around Saragozza and Tortosa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akSBavyrwYg

9. kn1ghtley

kn1ghtley Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Here's a video that compiles all of the 488 video presentations from the 488 website. Youtube link for convenience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs_V3h8-yW0

It starts with the trailer everyone's seen, so skip that if you've seen it. There's some things in here you maybe haven't seen, including aero features, engine, what they're doing with the sound, and some cool closeup shots near the end.

10. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Thanks for posting this! I had not seen a lot of that. Impressive!

11. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    Thanks for the link. I think the engine sounds awesome!

12. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Awesome - thanks for posting that.

13. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    i agree with you about the scoop. it is definitely the ugliest part of the car, and it is a pretty ridiculous place to have something so ugly. it is not really about the size of it but the treatment of it compared to the forms and lines around that area. it just lack the elegance it needs to look good ( the split is a bit crude, not to mention the cut out area of 488 compared to the 458). maybe the way the b pillars are now would make the width of the back window narrower which might be why it looks more sculpted than 458 from behind. but i do like the treatment of 458 in terms of scoop design.

if this car looks good in some angles, it is because the foundation is from 458. i am getting more used to the front bumper design now and it is definitely an improvement from the original 458 ( and i have a mix feeling about it still compared to 458 s, which is not totally well thought out imo but much better than the og 458)

i think this car improved from 458 for some areas and got worse in some. which is a bit of a disappointment. imo laferrari almost improved every weak element on enzo and looks better/a lot better in most viewing angles. i am sure most people will start to get used to the way it looks in few years time.

14. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Love the new video and I like the sound, and love the active aero, thanks for posting.

15. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    +1 to the video more confidence in the 488. Seems like they put rivets on the bottom of the car to direct air flow. Does this mean less ride height? The video talks about some sort of new tire that does well under wet conditions. Anyone know what tires the 488 has?

16. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    #2891 F430 Driver, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I disagree on LaFerrari. I think the side views and rear are incredible angles on the LaF but the hood is absolutely hideous. Nasty looking scoop in the middle was a huge design fail for me on that car. I'd still buy one because it's fast and looks good from the other angles but wish they had done something very different on that hood.

I bet many who don't like the scoops will be those buying the 488 as they will either grow on them or like me with the LaF I would take the good with the bad.

I like every view on the 488GTB out of the gate including the scoops. Beauty always in the eye of the beholder even when it comes to Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Strange comments on this forum for sure. Definitely a love/hate thing. To be sure, if the car has to "grow on you" to fall in love with then its not the car for you. How did you feel about your wife the first time you met her? You just know it. Strangely Ferrari's are the same for me. The very instant I saw my car that was all it took. That and the NA engine the size of a family room couch. Best wishes.

18. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    You are ignoring one crucial fact. Most people fall in love with their ladies when they met them in person. There could be some situations where people see girl on photo and they are blown off. But most important thing is to meet her in person. So use same analogy with car :)

19. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I was never a friend of the Ferrari 430, until I drove a Scuderia. Today I will never sell this car. From my first wife (it was love at first appearance) I'm divorced...

20. TuckerBeach

TuckerBeach Rookie

Jul 28, 2007
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Michael Green
    These forums are stage- set up for speculation. The analogies are wonderful to read, but we all know this car will deliver on promises. Stakes are too high, esp for a major engine re-conf.
    Owned a few F-cars and P-cars and am hard-core NA guy.... But you know this car will be next level. For those that want it... It will be the must-have sports car. I live in HK, live opposite an F-car dealership in Repulse Bay, and trust me they will be selling those puppies like hot cakes once available. China even more so..
    The current La-Ferrari, FF, and 458's in the showroom are all about to make way for the next 'new thing'

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    :)

22. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
  23. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    That does sound great, even with that funny little turbo whoosh sound! The car sounds every bit the Ferrari to me! Also, this is a fun project story. I'm always impressed with this kind of ingenuity!

24. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Its even more impressive when you see that one very capable guy with his passion gained much better engine sound than whole group of engineers in Ferrari factory.

25. MJamieson77

MJamieson77 Rookie

Aug 11, 2012
    #2900 MJamieson77, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

I'm very excited. Will pick up my 2013 458 Spider in a few weeks.

Had an order in for the 488, but upon launch I was pretty dismayed to say the least. Super quick, but they really needed Pininfarina in the mix. Hate the side vents. I showed the photos of the 488 to my 10 year old and the first thing he did was point to the side vents and say 'what is going on there?'

Voted with my wallet and bought the 458. No disrespect to those who like the 488, but a combination of design, turbo vs NA, and the fact a 488 Spider is a good year and half away for us Aussies (we get everything later), there really was no contest.

Looking forward to Ferrari ownership once again.