488 GTB (458 replacement) | Page 63 | FerrariChat

488 GTB (458 replacement)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I wonder why they called it a "GTB", as it is not a grand tourer - it is a pure sports car.

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I find it very well designed with these huge rear air vents but these front headlights??!! WTF? They could have changed them a little.....

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with your point on the 360-430, and now 458-488.

I didn't say LaF because that's not my quibble. My quibble is I see a little tiny bit of Lamborghini Gallardo angularity going on. But, yes, you are right there is definitely LaF in there too.

It's all good. I think this is a really great job by Ferrari's new design studio to update the 458.

As to 458S owners being upset- I think TheMayor has it right because its really a more focused driving experience. Some would say this will be softer, I'd say less aggressive. I also agree 458 owners really don't have to be too worried because the 458 is more graceful and elegant. The 488 GTB is more aggressive looking. With the new competition in the marketplace Ferrari needs this. I think the car is a homerun.

I will continue to enjoy my 458.

I initially wondered the same thing- Ferrari surely has their own naming strategy don't they! But then I thought of the 308 GTB and then all the other models like GTS. Perhaps they are moving to that direction. I do love how 488 reminds me of 288.

The more I look at this car, the more I'm really liking it... uh oh!!!!!!! ;)

4. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    That is going to look unbelievable as a spider.

5. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Because they're already calling Berlinetta to the grand tourer!... Yeah I see your point, kind of agree, it seems that they're going the safe way with nomenclature now. But too safe maybe, "GTB" seems like they couldn't find anything else more innovative to resort to.

6. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Disagree. I find the 360 and 430 can be difficult to tell from each other from some angles. I find I have to look twice. I think this has unique and differentiating (to 458) design cues from every angle and a more aggressive posture over all. Plus they finally got rid of those hideous whiskers. I hate the front-on view of my 458. It's looks so silly. I was equally glad when McLaren got rid of the fish gills of the 12C for the more stylized front of the 650S.

Can't wait to see what the Spider (or GTS I guess) version looks like. I wonder when they'll announce that.

Also very gutsy of Ferrari to cut the performances legs out from under the Speciale and SpecialeA. I suspect they're holding off the Spider versions because (a) they can afford to and (b) they don't want to piss off the SpecialeA customers (it was a limited edition sold to their best customers) right away.

7. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    I like it, the front is the biggest improvement, liking the Laferrari look.

Just not hopeful on what it will sound like.

Personally I'd take a SpecialeA over this but job well done on the design.

8. Caribbean458

Caribbean458 Karting

Apr 19, 2014
    Trinidad and Tobago
    I think it will rev higher than 8k. It says it makes peak power at 8k. I suspect it will rev a bit higher. Maybe 84-8500

9. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
  10. GRZEPAPA

GRZEPAPA Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    No question this is a clear successor to the 458I and S. Many similarities and of course some new things. Hood - looks a lot like the new Ford GT. Front bumper - not a fan of the 2 uprights. Front winglet- prefer the look of the 458S. Love the cut in the doors until you get to the rear air inlets - too big, should be higher like the other F cars, and the what the heck is the divider doing there?? Rest of the car is excellent. Sound who knows. I did take out the new Cali TT at Cavallino and was quite impressed with the sound and the handling of the car. Power increase- great. All the rest will have to wait and see. There is definitely potential here. Now just need to see it in the flesh.

11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Well... as long as people keep buying would be the obvious answer.

Umm... they have been doing this for DECADES.

Take a look at a book that shows all of the ferraris built. They have been doing it almost since the beginning.

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I'd call that an improvement.

13. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Except McLaren's designer isn't Ron Dennis. It's the guy who designed the 430 which still looks better than this car. Anyone who has met him will tell you he has enough emotion for the whole company!

14. Valerian

Valerian Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    George
    Nope. No crops, these are photos to be released by Ferrari. Found them when digging on their new website for 488 GTB.

As proof, there is direct link to one of them on their site. http://488gtb.ferrari.com/admin/files/contenuti/2_brancardi_particolare.jpg

Did my best, check this out. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/476426-488-gtb-458-replacement-73.html#post143703562

15. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    Im a bit confused as to why people keep saying the 458S owners are going to be upset... Im an owner and not upset at all. Can someone explain this part to me?

16. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    That looks amazing!!!

17. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    I think the 488 GTB is great. I will own one when the dealership calls me to say I have an allocation. Im not sure what that has anything to do with the Speciale... is it because it has more horse power? And it has more torque? That it takes cues from the Speciale? I don't get it. There are tons of cars out there with more bhp... etc. And... if its Fiorano lap times.. those are all made up anyway. The F12 was supposedly faster than the Speciale... either way Im not following...

18. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Because they assume that all that matters to you is having the "fastest" version of the car and now there's a new model that will obviously outperform it.

That and they don't own a Speciale and probably have no idea what might matter to a true driving enthusiast.

Just a guess...

19. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    It's not just you! That was the first thing I thought when I saw it! And to me, that's a great thing! Even the name easily reminds us of the 288 GTO! A spiritual successor!

20. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    because the 458S owners want to feel special (pun intended, only a little) and now they won't anymore b/c something "better" is on the horizon.
    I am willing to bet some 458S owners are upset. That's OK, b/c they will trade theirs in, pushing the price of 458S down... which in turn pushes 458 price down... This is where I want to come in :D

21. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    All 458s owners already knew this car was coming, so I am not sure I follow your logic.

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Check the thread title. It isn't a graphic artist debate. We are here to discuss the car.

23. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    Huracan shares have just gone up, McLaren's down.

24. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    The speciale owners felt "Unspeciale" when the A came out. :) It's all old hat now... haha.