488 GTB (458 replacement) | Page 64 | FerrariChat

488 GTB (458 replacement)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    I like the Huracan more. I like the 458 more. This 488 reminds me of the 430; meaner and faster than its predecessor but not elegant. The 458 was sexy like a 308. Other than the rear this is a step sidewaysin looks. It isn't something polarizing which is a relief.

2. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    +1

3. garak

garak Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Florida/Arizona
    I certainly don't think the 488 is nearly as elegant as the 458. I think that and going to the twin turbo will relegate the 488 to just the next model, wheres the 458 will be one of the all-time great Ferraris.

Those who dump there 458s for the 488 may regret it.

4. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    ....and in a couple of years a 488 "Speciale" will be out. And a Spider... And a SpiderSpeciale...

5. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I personally think the new 488 GTB looks great! I do think any speciale owners will be pissed off. They already knew the next generation car would be faster and have more horsepower. But they also have the last N/A v8 ever produced and argueably the best v8 car Ferrari ever produced, so if I owned a 458 speciale, I wouldnt be complaining, I would be excited knowing I have one of the best cars Ferrari ever built. I have to say I would probably add the 458 speciale to my garage before the new 488 but I do think the 488 is going to be a fantastic car and perform beautifully. I cant wait to officially hear it and see if it sounds like what we all want it to sound like.

6. 328gts1987

328gts1987 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Does this unrevealing means we do not get a "16M" version of the speciale? :(

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    At the end of the day, the Speciale is a hardcore stripped out, lightened, extreme road car, an extreme track car. This is not.

Its as simple as that, comparing the two is about as fruitless as comparing Kate Upton to Kate Middleton. (perhaps not the best of comparisons but I am sure most get the point)

One thing is for certain the Speciale is the last of a generation which was born 40 odd years ago, the peak of that generation and as such is assured future collectible status, well in my opinion anyway.

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

That's what the Speciale Aperta is.

9. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just called the dealer today and told him to put my Name on the top of the 488 Speciale/Stradale/Scuderia list.

I am a Speciale owner and I am NOT pissed of, I was also not pissed when I owned the 360 CS when the 430 was launched and the same a few years later when I owned the 430 Scuderia when the 458 Italia was presented.

When I look back, I rather buy back my 360 Stradale then any 430 (except Scud) for exmple.

I like the 488, I'm happy to get the raw, stripped off Version in a few years. Until then, I enjoy my NA V8 :) (and I will keep the Spec forever)

10. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    Not a fan of the side intake.

11. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Those look pretty awesome Milanno!

12. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    This makes it much better

13. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Sergio the bookeeper in chief needs the money. He has Fiat Chrysler and Alfa to pay for.

14. 458dreamer

458dreamer Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    Will this car be safe with rear wheel drive and turbos employed? Porsche adopted awd many years ago for its 911 turbos after too many owners were wrapping themselves around a tree.

15. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    Looks to me like it has a moving rear wing like McLaren.

16. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    And front.thats what i think also

17. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    Big question: Does the AC work better in this car.

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So were the 308 and 348, but both carried the GTB moniker as well.

19. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I love the look of the 488 GTB! Regardless of no NA motor and going to Turbos this car will have a long wait list just like every other mid engine release! I miss my 458 already but will look closely at this car for sure to purchase If I can get a slot......

20. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I wouldn't say better or worse than the 458 to look at,just different.
    I suppose it is horses for courses- I see the 488 as a more aggressive version of the same design ,for me I prefer the more graceful lines of the 458 .That may,of course, change as I thought the FF was really ugly to begin with but it really has grown on me to the extent that I may buy one as a DD next year:0)
    The interior only has minor modifications- I'm really happy with the interior of the spider and feel it would be difficult for the design guys to improve on it significantly without producing a whole new car.
    The extra power - My god - the 458 spider is plenty quick enough for me so any extra power is just willy waving imo unless one is planning to track it.
    The debate seems to be on regarding the engine noise - I'm loving the sound of the V8 with the roof down and the general consensus seems to be that the sound of the new car will not compare to the current its just a question as to how much.
    overall - I'm happy with what I have (only had it 4 months though!!) so will wait and see what the next generation brings- If its a totally new design then that will be interesting and assuming its a few years away may be perfect timing for me to look for a change.

cheers,Bob

21. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    +1 well said.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    488 GTB better looking than Huracane which is better looking that Mac 650s.

No question. Not even close.

This will be the end of the Luca era. For better or for worse but he went out with a pretty good swan song.

23. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

You do realize that the 911 turbo is rwd? and only the turbo S is AWD..

The Mclaren 12c and 650s are rwd, P1, LaF all rwd.... Sure the 488 could make its way into more hands than the above cars but Porsche didn't develop an AWD for all of its turbo cars rather they did it for a small portion of their cars that can offer more all around performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk