488 GTB (458 replacement) | Page 95 | FerrariChat

488 GTB (458 replacement)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    #2351 qwertstnbir, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Do you think "playing on numbers" is fair?

2. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    i was one of those who saw a mini-laferrari in the GTB renderings. in the pics - with all the problems of ligthing - i see a 458 side view with vents. front view positively corrected, rear so-so.
    all the bold sharp creases seem to be taken out - a ferrari must not look like a lambo it seems.
    bring pininfarina back!!!!!
    peter

3. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
  4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes and no. A lot of people just cruise along in 458s as daily drivers. They will do the same in the 488. They punch it occasionally to pass or accelerate. This graph is for them I think - people in the wrong *racing* gear, but who are just driving along and not racing.

This isn't a criteria I value personally but I have heard it argued.

5. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I actually dont know why everyone is so hard on Ferrari. Sure they want to keep the passion and the historic of the company. But also they are the head leader of F1 racing development and putting that onto road production cars. Dont get me wrong, I love a stick manual Ferrari, I still have one, but they had to move with the times and go to F1 paddles. Sure it lost a little of being in control of the car(and more computer now), but what type of a car would their F1 cars be with sticks going against the competition with F1 paddles. They would get left behind and thats not Ferrari.

The same goes with Turbos. Response time is merely the moment you touch the pedal and the engine reacts. Not the amount of power it first produces, just the time it takes to respond. When that time comes the new turbo engine produces a lot more power. The lag is only when the Turbos are not at high RPM(turbo RPM not engine RPM). If your racing through the gears the turbo is already spinning and the lag is dramatically reduced.

Turbo cars are different to NA, not worse, just different. But then the Turbos are spinning high and your going through the gears maintaining the boost, it will be epic in this car.

I look forward to this new car.

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Does anyone know what kind of turbos they are? I mean I saw they are IHI. Wiki claims they are twin-scroll. Sort of looks like that from the top press photos of the engine.

Anyone snap pics of the underside where the exhaust manifold meets the turbo?

7. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    #2357 qwertstnbir, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    @zakeen
    I think we should not compare resignation from malual with going into turbo which was forced by european union government well know from stupid statement like recognition of carrot as a fruit and not as vegetable, I don't trust this people

8. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I totally agree with you on this one. I much prefer NA over Turbo charged cars. I know you are not, but I am saying just because there is a Turbo on this car still give it a chance. Its going to be a great car.

9. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    This car will be successful but greatness is hard to describe, for some people all Ferrari are great for other only some of them, I'm curious would Ferrari move to turbo in 488 if Mclare did not start to build competitor to Ferrari car with V8 mid engine? I think people at Ferrari are a little nervous about this competition

10. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
  11. ks488

ks488 Rookie

Feb 18, 2015
    New to the forum. Trying to decide between a 458 now-ish and waiting on a 488, and it's been very helpful reading this forum and this thread in particular, so thanks....

I was also fairly disappointed by the live shots from Maranello last night. I'm hoping my disappointment was some combination of (a) the cars shown not being in my preferred color (black), (b) expectations being raised unrealistically high based on the touched-up renders from Feb 3rd, and (c) cell phone photography that can't match professionally done photos. (It's of course better to have cell phone shots than nothing at all, but it's not fair to compare cell phone 488 shots vs. professionally done 458 shots.)

That said, my biggest issue with the exterior is the massive front mouth opening, which looks kind of ridiculous to me, and somehow reminds me of -- eek -- a Mustang. Sorry... I much prefer the 458's front, especially the floaty horse. :)

One complaint that I don't quite get is the "turbo lag" issue. I'm sure there are others here that understand cars way more than I do, but my understanding is that when you first hit the gas on a turbocharged car, you're not going to get the boost provided by the turbos right away. But, in that initial second or whatever, you should still get roughly the full power from a non-turbo'd engine of the same size. Right?

And if that's the case, what we're really talking about as far as power is having a second, or maybe two seconds tops, where the power on the 488 is ~10-20% less than the 458's due to the smaller total displacement, followed by many seconds of 20% more power once the boost kicks on.

In other words, aren't those complaining about turbo lag just complaining about having a 450hp car for the first second they're on the gas?

Again, I could be totally wrong but if so, please educate me!

And, regarding the sound: I'd agree there's reason to be concerned. But, maybe not to pre-judge. Take three examples of turbocharged cars: The 911 Turbo S, the CLS63, and the 650S. The 911 sounds like the aforementioned vacuum cleaner. The CLS63 sounds loud and like an American muscle car. And the 650S sounds more or less like I'd expect a supercar to sound, though the high pitched whine from the turbos can be a little annoying. This is just to say that it seems like there's a wide variety of exhaust notes from turbo'd engines. Is that not at least reason to withhold judgment until reviews of the 488 start rolling in?

12. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    I truly hope the car looks better than the images posted by people who attended the event. It has no cohesion, no flow front to back. The fact that there was no engine noise on display is also a bit worrisome. No doubt it will rocket to 200kph but on the street that's irrelevant. On the track instant response is of paramount importance. Not feeling the love.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You have absolutely nothing to lose by waiting: 458 prices will certainly be dropping, and you will therefore get more car for your same dollar; and the 488 will hit the streets and you can evaluate it yourself thereby sidestepping any and all issue of second-hand information.
    Win...win.

The fact of the matter is we all comment around and around in circles like a group of old ladies at a sewing circle, and none of it matters one bit.

Buy what you like and can safely afford.
    Worry about nothing else, and I mean absolutely nothing else.
    Drive the wheels off it, don't save your car for the next guy to enjoy.
    If you worry about maintenance programs, and costs of repairs, the much dreaded and opined depreciation, and how much tires cost, and insurance, and will that kid in a GTR beat me off the line, etc., etc., then these cars aren't the right fit. (I realize you aren't saying that, I am rambling in generalities.)

Enjoy; wallow passionately in what is so rare others can't even fathom it...life is short....and you can't take it with you.

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Have a 450 na hp RS5. It is no match for the 458 in any part of the rev range. In other words, 450 hp even for 0.8 sec is quite a disappointment compared to 562 na hp with instant response. For those who cannot detect the difference the 488 will be just fine. However, that lag may be problematic for an enjoyable track experience. Of course, one can get used to it and adapt their driving accordingly. After all, 911 turbo drivers have been doing this for decades. Na V8 and V12 drivers have NOT!

15. APC123

APC123 Karting

Mar 24, 2013
    New England
    I think you need to wait to see the 488 in person and for some more reviews - and even drive it - to truly make an informed decision.

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    True. But getting to drive one may be quite awhile from now. For me any way.

17. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    #2367 Garretto, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That was VERY informative. Thank you so much for your reply and the additional pictures.

Should we assume that the red car present is "Rosso Corsa Met."? Did you notice the metallic"-ness" up close?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    :eek:

Grigio picture looks like a kit car...abomination!
    No no no no.
    Not a chance in hell.
    :(

19. olekrrrr

olekrrrr Karting

Sep 26, 2014
    this is simply not good enough, its been 6 years since the italia came out
    and now they come up with this...

gonna keep my speciale forever

20. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
  21. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
  22. Hakan458

Hakan458 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hakan
    Can't say I'm too impressed honestly. They did so well with the 458 that they just tried to build on it with this one but I don't think it turned out so great looks wise. I'm sure it will perform extremely well I have no doubts about that, but I can't see myself ever loving the look of the 488 as I have with the 458.

23. texex91

texex91 Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    USA
    Well hell, I'm going to admit when I'm wrong and go run into a hole...that car looks horrible.

Reminds me of what McLaren did between 12c and 650s--just minor changes and call it a new car. Granted new engine--but going backwards...NA to Turbo AND crap exterior. Good luck Ferrari...

I'm a man, I'll admit I was wrong--this looks horrible.

24. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Unless you think the additional HP makes a big difference, I can't see doing it. I am not a fan of the side vents.

25. Melons

Melons Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    Car looks hot