488 GTB - Brakes Squeak | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 GTB - Brakes Squeak

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jennifer488, Nov 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    Mine squeaked. My dealer cleaned the pads and rotated them (reinstalled the right pad on the left and the left pad on the right). It has been 2 years (about 1,500 miles) and no squeak so far...
    Rotate the pads is something that you might want to ask your dealer about.
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    totally unacceptable for a car like this.....no excuses

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel

I recommend to REALY DO this …. and it may solve your problems.

A lot of drivers do not use the brakes as what they were made for … and drive like *****'s (sorry :) ) …

Never ever had any squeel in the 45.000 kms on my 458 !

But braked as hard as ever was possible on tracks and highways if needed ….

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. A couple of track sessions and the problem will take care of itself.

Melvok likes this.
  5. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    make sure nothing is getting on the rotors when the car is being cleaned -- a lot of times the cleaner for the wheels can soak into the rotors

6. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    This topic has been covered before, basically these cars have a pre-brake function where the gap between the brake pads and rotors is reduced as you take your foot off the throttle thus this then can create some friction which is the squealing sounds you hear. Some are lucky and don't experience it but it seem to be quite common for 488's. Plus carbon ceramic brakes tend to squeak...
    I was informed by my dealership that there is a software update that is supposed to fix this issue. It has not bothered me so I have not done anything about it...

7. Jaldo

Jaldo Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Northeast U.S.
    My solution was to drive fast while slightly holding down the brake pedal to warm up the rotors. It worked for me.

8. azilko

azilko Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    I have a 2018 488 as well. I had significant brake squeek after a pretty hard track event (the brakes didn't make much noise beforehand, maybe a little). It drove me nuts, but I just kept driving it. It lasted for weeks, but after some good back road time, and hard braking, followed by daily driving, it just went away.

I have about 3500 miles on it now. I'd recommend hard braking after heating them way up (find a back road or somewhere you can get after it without anyone behind you), and do it several times. Then just keep driving it. It'll likely work itself out.

9. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Isn't this one of the bad things when it comes to CCBs? My buddies jag has the same issue, he also says it's annoying but has learned to live with it. Pretty unacceptable for the price of these cars to just "accept it".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not much you can do about it. It's the nature of floating ceramic discs. I believe AP may have some pads with a different material. They might be worth a try.