488 GTB Conversion to Challenge? | FerrariChat

488 GTB Conversion to Challenge?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by RossoCorsa716, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Has anyone converted a stock 488 GTB to a Challenge? I have a mechanic who works on Challenge cars and says he can source all the parts needed for the conversion. Quoted me ~$60k to get the job done. Thoughts?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    What would be the upside ? It might look cool with a new nose and a big wing and center-lock wheels - it might feel faster without sound-proofing or suspension travel - it would accelerate even faster with a little more horsepower and shorter gear ratios

3. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I dont think it can be done for 60K, considering Doors, Windows, Roll Cage, all the electronics including dashboard, center controls, bumpers, coolers, exhaust etc.

NürScud and Bas like this.
  4. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    +1
    For 60K it may only look like a Challenge but never be a Challenge car. So much is different on a Challenge car. The front of the car including the radiators is very different than GTB. On top of what Chrixxx said 488C car has a different engine and exhaust system which is almost 20kg lighter than GTB. Plus it's got different gear ratios. Even the whole brake system is very different not just the center lock system. Just the air jack system and aeros will cost much more than 60K. I can't even imagine how much the dual gas ports and all the interior stuff will cost. I would guess it would cost more than 1/2 of a Challenge car. Even if you are OK to pay so much, I'd strongly advise that you say away from such conversion as it will be a pure headache at the end.

5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Would you be open to a real challenge car , or are you wanting something you can drive on the street with the outward appearance of a challenge car?
    ( Nose, wing, etc )

S

6. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Would be easier and much cheaper to make a challenge car streetable. Even then it's rather pointless.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Do you mean just the esthetic parts? I think it could look cool but i wouldnt put the rear wing, esp if it's a street only car.

9. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Sell the 488 and buy a new or used 488C
    That 488C can be road registered (minor changes like a hand brake and sometimes lexan windows exchanged for glass)

10. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    that easy?
    whats about wheels, exhaust, seatbelts, wing, etc.? I thought its quite complicate but for sure depending the country and what is written in the technical certificate you need to register the car.

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    It can be done! You just need the right party; the vehicle needs to be approved by Vehicle Authority of the country; UK, Belgium and Netherlands are easier :)

There are many Challenge cars with road registration and even a FXX...

12. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    good to know :D

13. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you guys for all the great input, in the end I think I’m going to keep my car stock and rent the challenge at the local track to get my fix a couple times a year. Appreciate all the replies!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

308 GTB likes this.