For Sale - 488 GTB Speaker Box Project | FerrariChat

For Sale 488 GTB Speaker Box Project

Discussion in 'Parts & Collectibles' started by SoftwareDrone, Apr 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have been trying to get my hands on a 488 (for the purposes of taking measurements so that I can design a subwoofer enclosure) for the better part of a year. I finally had a high end car audio shop in New York create a cardboard template of the firewall area as well as some other measurements for me, then snail mail me the piece of cardboard. I scanned it, embedded the image into AutoCAD, scaled the image, then basically traced out the firewall area. I used my 458 Italia design to construct the front, top, inside, electrical inner shelf and mounting bracket cutouts. My CNC guy will cut out a couple of end plates that I can use to test fit. Once I get past this, I can start cranking out boxes. I have had people lined up for months waiting for these. Yes, the enclosure is very shallow, but Earthquake makes a shallow 8" subwoofer the fits nicely here and sounds fantastic.
    Stay tuned!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

waterking likes this.
  2. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    Mike...looks good! You know I am in for one! Sorry you have had to go this alone but it looks like it is going to be like the one for the 458...which was great and added an entire new level of sound for the radio and looked OEM.

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks!!

So, I went to the dealer on Saturday to ask them if I could just set the template against the firewall of one of their GTB's just to make sure it didn't need any fine adjustments -- Not even close!! They were extremely nice and basically gave me Carte Blanche, so I spent a solid hour in a GTB and another solid hour in a 488 Spider and made some perfect patterns.
    Like my dad used to say: If you want something done right, do it yourself.
    :)

4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Now that's more like it!
    Here is the finished AutoCAD drawing for the 488 GTB subwoofer enclosure based off of my pattern taken at the dealership.
    It looks like I'll be able to fit a JL Audio 8W1v2 in there. This is great news!! The enclosure will be 12" high and between 4" and 6" deep.
    I hope to have the pieces cut over the next couple of days, and, with any luck, I'll be hand carrying the prototype enclosure back to the dealer on Saturday for a test fit.

5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    This is quality work Mike. Will you be matching this version with an amp? Now that I have seen the prototype in the car I have the spot ready for install. For everyone considering this add-on to the car...it makes a huge difference in the performance of the OEM radio in the 488. Great job Mike.