488 GTB STANDARD STEREO | FerrariChat

488 GTB STANDARD STEREO

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MANDALAY, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Have always been into car audio all my life but with the 488 GTB prefer the engine sound. However just want to tune it a bit. I just cant find any setting with the audio ??

Is there any such function, balance , treble , bass etc ?

BTW Found a CD player in the glove box :)

2. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes in options you can tune it a little. Basic stereo isn't great. Menu on the right of steering wheel. Click options: Audio.

3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    You spent an arm and three legs, after taxes and fees, for a 488 then cheaped out with the standard stereo? Yes, you can tune it in the car settings, using the right screen and buttons.

4. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I’ve the upgraded one and it is ok. The standard which I had on 458 was awful

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree the standard system is a major let down considering the dollars for the car. Ridiculously poor/basic. I was shocked. Doubt it's fixable w/o some serious spend sadly.

6. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Yes it is ahahah, it's so bad its funny :D

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually the only one who would be laughing is Ferrari. I certainly couldn't imagine the owners are laughing about it. I thought Ferrari had a damn hide dishing that up in a car like this - shameful... And adding insult to injury then asking the $ they did for the JBL upgrade....very off-putting.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The CD drive is there for software for the navi and (if same as 458) lets you copy mp3 files to a large harddrive.

9. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    I was just being ironic. Its shameful a company as Ferrari lets a car leave the factory with such a crappy audio system.
    The Burmester system in my previous Porsche was incredible and miles away from the bit less crappy JBL upgraded sound from Ferrari.

You really have the feeling that when the car was in the development stages this was never a thing they studied. They finished the car and were like:
    hey where do we put the speakers? Ohh damn I forgot... just put them wherever. and the amplifier and subwoofer? Hmm no space now, i should have added it in the CAD/CAM...screw it just put some chinese rip off speakers.

Again, I think the next 488 will blow everything out of the water, I mean it has to! Customers have options now and Mclaren is doing it the right way declaring war on weight!

Shadowfax and Ash Patel like this.
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Fully agree with you Paolo !

And that the factory refuses to update the digital maps on these navi's is allso appaling :eek: maps of 2008 in cars in 2017 ….

Shadowfax likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Understand the irony. I also reckon they will lift their game in the 488 replacement too. I think their game is up with a lot of stuff they've been getting away with. Frankly, as alluring as the 488 was, if didn't drive as good as it did on the track the day of testing I would have walked. What ensued from that point on was just a lot of unnecessary and costly box/option ticking to get a car that (somewhat) represented the money paid. I'm glad I did it though. It's a blast of a car to drive hard.

12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Ohhhh Mel don't even get me started there!! You go to the map options in the car and it says, go to navteq.com for the latest maps. and when you go there there is no Ferrari, so you have to call them or send them an email and the answer is, we don't support Ferrari, you have to go to the dealer. You go to the dealer and they have no maps available ahah :D
    Is it the same with the 488 or those maps can be updated?

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The Navteq company is now called HERE. And located over here in my own country: Holland.

I phoned them, they replied that they can make any maps in any digi form … but are not allowed by Ferrari …

B S :)

14. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Well, there's a user in the forum that lives next to the ring and he bought the 488 and the 675LT and after tracking it and some top speed runs in the autobahn (even going to the trouble of drag racing both his cars next to one another) he quickly sold the 488.
    Now compare with the 720s and we have a problem.

I think since the new 488 will be started from scratch with the new chassis techniques form the Portofino that can be replicated in carbon Ferrari will hit target weight to compensate for the potential hybrid + electric supercharged system for the twin turbo engine.
    Imagine 900hp/1400kg with great sound (and sound system ahah) and a chassis tub (great when you make the spider version otherwise its a pudding) and they will blow anyone out of the water and again back to being the reference in everything including speed!
    I wish....

15. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    What??!! (I knew they were Dutch) That's BS!!! really?? Well done Ferrari!

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Didn't find the 720 had much going for it at all other than being hell fast... 488 much more entertaining imo. 675 is a different animal being track focused car...

720 has a better standard stereo though :) On all accounts 600lt will be the better drivers car.
    I digress....where were we?

17. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    I don't think 600lt owners will care much about that cars audio :p

18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I just let it play bluetooth, audio quality isn't an issue then because bluetooth sucks. I hardly ever have that on anyway. I had the Burmester in my 991tts and yes it's a better stereo but not even close to the car the 488 is and the Burmester can't help there. I don't understand the fixation on a stereo in a sports car. Now maybe you can complain about it for a GT car but not this car, seriously people. The upgrade isn't worth $6k either, the Burmester option for the 991tts was $3500 but that's where the comparison ends between the two cars. Ferrari isn't interested in providing sound systems in their cars, get over it.

theplanner and Viperjoe like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Prolly not. But at one point it will come in handy and I'm sure whatever they stick in it will be a damn sight better than what they stuck in 488.;)

tekaefixe likes this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You can't compare the TTS's stock Bose to the 488's stock sound system. At least Porsche tries to play fair.

And the fixation is only there from the have nots - let's get real here.:)

RoketRdr likes this.
  21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Here is the thing though. Once I start listening to the stereo when driving, it's time to get rid of the car.

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    INDEED ! :)

wrs likes this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Nice comeback, but you and I both know it doesn't always work like that.;)

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Correct … the wife likes soft music when she accompanies me … :)

25. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    OK, here is something that matters to me, the AC works really well. Cools the car down quickly and I can keep the top down in 100+ temps here with the AC blowing in my face if I want. The Porsche AC wasn't any better. So Ferrari got that right!