488 GTB Storage Question: temp. control vs. battery tender | FerrariChat

488 GTB Storage Question: temp. control vs. battery tender

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by lukeb817, Sep 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukeb817

lukeb817 Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH
    I need some informed advice regarding storage for my new 488, please. I took delivery of my 2019 488 GTB a few weeks ago ( https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-2019-488-gtb-has-arrived-photos.582611/ ) and haven't taken possession of it yet while it is getting paint correction/PPF/exhaust install, but I plan to pick it up tomorrow. After reading the thread on current draw ( https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/current-draw.584079/ ) I am second guessing my storage plans and would appreciate some input. I have been in the process of building a new construction home for the last 4 years, and when I ordered my 488, I expected my home to finally be complete and I would have a garage to park it. Unfortunately, it appears we are now looking at a December/January completion, which leaves with me with the following two options as we are stuck in our temporary apartment longer than expected:

1). Park in my temporary apartment garage (large shared space underneath apartment building, assigned spots, gate secured), which is relatively secure, never seems to get below 40-50 degrees in the colder months and the car will be protected from door dings with a wall on one side and one of my other cars on the other side...but I will NOT have a power connection where I can plug in the battery tender. This will give me easy access to drive the car whenever the weather permits as it is just a few steps away from my unit (but will be out in the open for curious neighbors to see/touch if they want to). I have kept my Porsche in this garage for two years now, without incident.

2) Rent a secure storage unit several miles away from my apartment, which DOES have a power connection available for the battery tender, but IS NOT insulated/climate controlled...meaning the temperature in the unit will be the same as the outside...and if it is stored there through December and January, we will certainly see temps below freezing for extended periods. Of course, this is also a bit inconvenient as it will be 10+ minutes away from me and I won't be able to just drive the car on a whim.

Long story short -- which is more important: keeping the car in temperatures above 50 degrees or keeping it on the battery tender at all times? I could, of course, disconnect the battery once we get into November/December when the weather will keep me from driving the car regularly.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-Luke

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    My experience with my last 3 Ferrari’s (430/458/488) is keeping the battery tender attached during storage. Outside temperature seemed less critical than making sure the car was always connected. With Ferrari and their batteries, once you lose the charge or the battery goes dead, it causes electrical issues. As long as the car is connected, the ambient temperature shouldn’t bother it. Just my personal experience.

3. lukeb817

lukeb817 Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for the input. My concern with storing below freezing for long periods extends beyond just the battery, I was thinking also of the tires and the rest of the vehicle being subject to such cold temperatures during the winter months. I was under the impression that it is important to store above freezing, in general.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I would agree that it would be ideal to store the car in above freezing temps. But don’t forget, these cars are designed and engineered and driven in European winters. That’s what antifreeze is for. The fluids should be ok. Washer fluid doesn’t freeze. Make sure the antifreeze in the radiator is good for 20 belowF, and there shouldn’t be any issues. Ideally though, it would be great to store it in above freezing temps.

5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Agree with jm2
    Battery much more important than temps if the fluids are treated correctly
    Other option is to get a portable power supply for your tender and recharge it every few days as it powers down
    That way you get to see your 488 regularly throughout the winter

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

lukeb817 likes this.
  6. lukeb817

lukeb817 Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH

Thanks, I will look into that option. Still hoping I can figure out a way to run power over to my parking space, but seems unlikely. I would definitely prefer to keep it close to home so I can admire it every morning when I leave for the office during the off season. The ideal solution to the problem is to move into my house!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel

There is NO choice at all !

You need your battery conditioner connected to the car.

Read the large amount of threads here ...

8. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    100% to connecting a battery tender. My car was at the dealer for service for several days without a tender hooked up and ran like a grumpy mother in law for a while afterwards ( I think they also parked it up outside which added to its pissed off nature)

9. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Battery tender much more important than temperature controlled garage. I keep my 488 Spider in an unheated garage in NY on a tender, without issues. I do park the car on some thick carpet patches to reduce flat spots in the tires.