488 GTB Winter Storage | FerrariChat

488 GTB Winter Storage

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, Oct 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I am a new 488 owner. As the winter is soon approaching, I was hoping to learn from other 458/488 owners of older Ferrari's about winter storage tips. I posted a similar thread in the 308/328 section because I also own a 1989 328 GTB, but obviously these cars are from different eras. My car will be stored in a very nice, climate controlled facility.

- Gas tank - full?
    - Other fluids?
    - Disconnect the battery or just keep it plugged into the battery tender?
    - Do you ever start the car?
    - How to avoid tire flat spots or is this not an issue with new tire technology?
    - Should I leave the engine bonnet, hood and doors closed but not sealed to protect the rubber gaskets?
    - Anything in particular you do for the leather?
    - Any other specific recommendations?

Thank you.

Melvok likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    What I have been doing (for two winters already) is:

- gas tank not full, but far from empty (1/3 to 1/2) - I do not think full would cause any harm though
    - battery tender connected
    - no start for a few months does not cause any issue
    - tyres could be "overinflated" a little bit but being low profile they are quite stiff
    - all doors / windows regularly closed, no problem in controlled environment
    - leather could be cleaned / nourished with a milk or cream before leaving the car.

3. brobin

brobin Karting

Nov 4, 2015
    Philadelphia Area
    Our manual says to fill the tires to 3 Bar for winter storage to prevent flat spots.

4. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Hooking up the battery tender and car cover is the extent of my cold weather prep!

5. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    What's this cold weather you guys speak of? It'll get down to a bone chilling 50 degrees here which really sucks... almost unbearable

6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m not concerned about climate. My car will be in a controlled environment with ideal temperature and humidity. This is really more about dormancy and what is best for the car given that it won’t be active for approximately three months.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Jeff, park the car, connect a tender, put a cover on and give it a kiss until spring. Yep, that's it. I've had summer fun cars for near 18 years. I keep them in my heated garage and that's all. No issues with gas, or tires. In DC you are probably talking 4 month. Don't over think this.

100badboy100 likes this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Sounds good.

9. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You guys are making me cold.

May the Horse be with you....

10. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Make screen caps for your exhaust pipe outlets. If there is no screen barrier, rodents can access exhaust pipes and cache food or make nests in your mufflers. Place dryer fabric softening scented sheets in the engine bay. Rodents don't like the perfume scent and will then avoid your engine area. Be sure to have a startup check list that includes removal of the caps and sheets in the springtime. Count the sheets and note the number, so you remove all of them in spring.

100badboy100 likes this.
  11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Keep garage doors closed so no mice get in ... rest seems to be O.K. (on tender and under panty) ...

12. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Tender connected (most important)
    Gas tank full
    A couple of swatches of thick carpet under each tire to reduce flat spots (feel free to a add a few extra PSI of air, but really not necessary)
    Start the car only if you can actually drive it enough to warm up all of the fluids (I try to get the car out once or twice during the winter when the roads are dry and reasonably salt-free; you can't get the tires warmed up but the engine/turbos love the extra oxygen)
    All doors closed but no alarm
    Car cover is optional

13. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    very well said, exactly what I would do.

14. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I agree with all of the above, with one addition: buy a car bag to protect against moisture and rodents. I used to use a car cover, dryer sheets and mouse poison around the outside, but a mouse got in there anyway. Luckily the only damage was to the cabin air filter, and this is evidently common because when I went to but a new filter, my dealer knew immediately what had happened.
    You can go for what your budget will allow; they make inflatable mini-garages. I used this and it worked so well I bought another for the other car I store:
    https://www.carbag.com/

jem890 likes this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The only other thing I would suggest is have a look at the included tender. The past models included a tender that was fine at keeping the charge but not doing much else for the battery. I swap the factory one for the CTek 7002 and have never had a problem, that is going back 10 years. Its possible the newer included tenders are better and also I'm not sure on the connector they are using for the 488.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Luckily the 488 tender is excellent and has a very convenient connector on the exterior of the rear bumper.

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats good to know!

19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great advice! thanks!

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’ve been told recently that modern tires are not prone to fiat spots like older cars. Is this true? Regarding “overinflating” the tires, for those do this this, what’s the proper level?

21. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    My only complaint about the tender connection on the rear is the Ferrari cover doesn’t have a slit to accommodate it and often disconnects the magnetic connector. A small slit with a knife (you can over sew the edges for a cleaner look) solves the issue but the cover should come with an opening for it

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

100badboy100 and Melvok like this.
  22. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I pumped up to around 45lbs for all my cars in storage plus put a piece of carpet under pall 4 tires. Full tank of gas to avoid moisture accumulated , I also add gas stablizer in the gas tank running it for 5 min. I have been doing these for over 10 years , it works well. Tires of one of my fcars were still original from 1995 .... I covered the seats n steering wheel plus car cover which came with the car .Running the car or not is not important but the older the car the better to start , if possible to run it for couple of times. My cars are going into hibernation soon. Snow is coming with the worst at -20C

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Exactly, why do the factory boys not know such easy solutions :eek:

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Having the wire running parallel to the rear of the car instead of perpendicular would also solve the issue because the connection would be "protected" from the cover by the bumper (actually the connector is protected, but the perpendicular wire goes out of the shape of the bumper and the cover always wants to make the connection lose).
    With the current setting it's rather difficult to get the cover in place with the connection still working.

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Where do u live? In California i intend to do a few Miles every week to get running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk