488 GTO ? | Page 35 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Your dealer is on drugs:)

nkhalid, LVP488, Shack and 1 other person like this.
  2. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    This thread is slowly disappearing down the rabbit hole.......o_O

nkhalid and Afonsolaw like this.
  3. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    - first I am not pretending to know the secrets of anybody and I never said to be a Ferrari insider...I just reported the information I know....all the rest are your no sense assumptions
    - second you are noone to state about my credibility since you don’t know me and I don’t know you....so moderate the tone and stop your offensive approach
    - third I am using all the slang I want

likely you said nothing personal....probably you need some treatment

finally if you have valuable information regarding the 488 SE please share otherwise you are just bothering

take care italiafan

Shack likes this.
  4. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    This thread goes sadly down and down...

Come back to facts and news please

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Too much pontification. :)

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  7. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I still like 488 "Stupidfast!"

8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Facts and news? Facts: Ferrari will present the "light weight track oriented" version of the 488 GTB at the Geneva Autosalon in March 2018. The car will be available in different colors. News: I wanted to place a pre-order last week, it was not possible, according to my dealer the Swiss contingents are all assigned. Maybe that will change again, hope dies last.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So "all allocated" on every new models is not a well known sales tactic for Ferrari? Seems every new one is just impossible to get and you'll just have to buy and flip a 488, Lusso and Portofino and maybe you'll move up on the list for this non-LE car.

10. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Maybe you are right. However, the dealer didn't push to buy a standard model, he simply advised to wait (finally the "GTO" contingent is based on the 488 life cycle).

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Think we all need to be on the same page when we use the word "Allocation". People have claimed to have an allocation and they 100% for sure do not. In other words no one in the whole world has an allocation. Period.

A dealer order, deposit, a dealer promise, etc.. is all fine and probably correct, but no allocation.

An allocation from Ferrari is given to the Ferrari dealer. Not the individual. It is part of their monthly allotment or allocation of cars. So here in the U.S., each month FNA hands out how many cars each dealer will receive as their monthly allocations. Four 488s, a Lusso, and an 812 would be an example. Now in order for the allocations to work for the customer, the customer goes to the dealer and makes an order. That order is placed in MODIS. Once in MODIS, both dealer and customer wait for the FNA allocation. Once received that order is then connected to that allocation in MODIS.

Now why do we all know there cannot be ANY allocations as of this morning, neither the 488 GTO or the GTO Aperta appear in MODIS. Without them in MODIS, there can be no order and no allocation.

chrixxx, Nelsonc275, Robert P and 6 others like this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd guess that the current situation is along these lines:
    - the dealer expects to get a certain number of allocations from Ferrari (it's a guess so far, not a very specific figure, but based on his experience)
    - he gives pre-orders to interested customers up to around this number, and sets a limit after which he tells there is no more availability (he could say "sold out", but that's not really accurate)
    - he makes his own sorting of the pre-orders, so he can tell some customers they are certain to get a car (the customers he puts at the top of the list), because he knows he will at least get a few cars
    The 488 VS not being a LE, the dealer is confident he will have the last word in customers selection.

Melons likes this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    This was my experience when ordering my 488 GTB, though it is my understanding that Ferrari will need to approve who the dealer is wanting to allocate 488 “GTO’s” to.

Also, what does “VS” stand for? Thanks.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    VS is a way to say "Versione Speciale", like SE for "Special Edition" (so VS and SE are the same).
    I think in the case of VS (or SE) Ferrari does not select the customers (so the dealer sells to whoever he wants), the Ferrari approval is only needed for "Limited Edition" cars (I may be wrong on this though).

15. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    All correct from what I know too.

After the dealer makes that list of customers he forwards it to Ferrari North America to review and approve/decline. That is then forwarded to Italy. Italy rarely veto's the FNA list but it's a matter of protocol. Only once word comes back from Italy, the customer is finally approved. Now the odd thing with the 488 GTO coupe is that Ferrari Italy has mandated (so it seems) that the customer must buy a new 488 GTB. Strange as from all that we know, the 488 GTO Coupe is a SE not LE. Personally I doubt this 488 GTB prerequisite will last a long time as too many cars are slated to be built - according to other members here.

chrixxx likes this.
  16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I already have a 488 GTB so I am confident :)

17. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    it is bs that ferrari italy imposes 488GTB ownership for the VS allocation. maybe ferrari NA does. i do not own a 488GTB but my dealer said that i shall get a VS and he has never heard of the GTB requirement. he confirmed that the rules are tougher with limited models but no issue with the 488VS. if a particular dealer does not want to sell a VS to a certain customer group then that is different.

MuratC likes this.
  18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

All this tells us is tht they are having trouble moving enough 488s at the moment.

19. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    That's exactly what I heard from most dealers in EU. I guess the greediness of US dealers are at another level :eek:

20. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It's not the dealers. Conditions such as this come from above.

21. bbr

bbr Karting

Jun 22, 2011
    Geneva-CH
    Full Name:
    BBR
    This is pretty much my understanding based on exchanges with my local Swiss dealer. Different methods between US and Europe are always possible but in Switzerland, no need to have bought a 488 GTB to order a VS/GTO. The number of VS allocated by Ferrari to the dealer will depend on how the dealer has achieved his sales target on the GTB. My dealer has outperformed on that front thus was confident to sign me a pre-order few months ago, which as Challenge64 correctly pointed out, is NOT a definitive allocation but an indication of interest with a high probability of going through...that level of confidence was even reinforced as the dealer allowed us to book our future registration plates with special numbers...I say "us" because a friend of mine is going through the same motion and we plan to visit the factory (again) when our cars will be assembled early 2019. Did it in 2014 for my 458 Spider, last time I bought a new car, and it was great fun to see my car half built moving down the line.
    Ferrari has asked to see and vet every pre-order contract my dealer has done on the VS/GTO. Seems to me like a quick no objection safeguard to avoid giving cars to known flippers rather than an extensive due diligence but I might be wrong as I heard about the Modis scoring system. Except being below 50, having bought a new car once in the last 4 years and doing an annual Ferrari event, I don't think it gives me enough points to jump the queue...I do have a very good relationship with the dealer who I have been faithful to since 2011; that makes a difference if you ask me.

If they build as much as indicated by PPG70, if you want one you will ultimately get one, only how long you will have to wait remains unknown (in Europe at least). I am not a top customer by Ferrari standard, nor is my friend, and this is probably why early 2019 has always been our indicated slot...top repeat customers can probably enjoy theirs in september/october 2018. Needless to say we will be in Geneva for the official presentation.

chrixxx likes this.
  22. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

My basic understanding is that LE car allocations are ultimately decided by Ferrari in conjunction with dealer and in the case of UK,Ferrari Northern Europe.
    In the past non LE cars have not been an issue so dealer has sold to whoever orders.
    Starting with 812 it seems there has been so much demand (which presumably is the same with 488 VS) Ferrari Northern Europe will decide any criteria and allocate with dealer.
    No 488 VS's have been allocated and no criteria set in UK.Any "news" to the contrary is pure speculation.

23. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree that the need to own a 488 GTB may well be a dealer requirement to help them shift inventory. There are many top tier customers who may have a tdf, LF etc, but would not be interested in a 488 GTB, but please don't expect me to believe they will not get a 488VS should they want one.

I have told my dealer I could be interested, and he said fine, you are on the list and once they know all the details, we can talk again if I still want one. I suspect it won't be an issue of if but when during the production run.

Given the car is not a true LE, this makes complete sense to me. Ferrari want to make money.

24. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

V well explained ....

25. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    This is also my understanding as far as the UK is concerned.
    My guess is that based on a March 2018 launch at Geneva, the dealers will be expecting news shortly from FNE on allocation numbers and selection criteria.