488 GTO ? | Page 77 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    He's on the money. There will be a few bubbles burst at one one point in the not so distant future....no question. What Murat reported is exactly what I was told; Ferrari HQ will be vetting all orders (inc 488) and only approving those that meet their criteria. This has been made very clear on more than one occasion over the past 14 months and story has not changed, if not further strengthened after each HQ visit.

uhn2000 likes this.
  2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Was it the actual owner of the dealership or the salesman that assured him of "good shot" of getting one ;)

3. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    And again confirmed after the dealer meetings this week.

4. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Someone who shares the same last name as the owner of the dealer.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The “good shot”would depend upon whether he meets ferrari’s criteria. Doesnt matter if it’s only his first - so long as its a 488. That part is key as is satisfying the motorsport criteria. A dealers good word only carries so much weight before other key criteria kicks in. I kinda like the criteria

Shack likes this.
  6. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    One thing I found about Ferrari is that they seem to be good about; "we didn't get you this time, but we'll get you next time".

Just a few examples surrounding this:

One of my neighbors has an Enzo, buys a new ferrari every couple of years... scud, 16m, 458, 458 spider, f12. He wants a speciale but they tell him that they are sold out. They make it up to him by giving him the first 458 aperta in our area.

Many of the people who were deserving of a Laferrari and didn't get one winded up getting a TDF. Quite a few laferrari owners in my area were shut out from getting a TDF.

I'm more familiar with the Mclaren side of things and how it works at the VIP level. It is very similar to what Murat has reported.

The VIP's are people connected to the F-1 team, sponsors, investors, friends of key employees, people who work with their suppliers and then people who show up to mclaren pure track days and kiss arse/beg to be in that group. Most of the VIP group do not buy every car and generally are not the buyers of the majority of mclaren cars. This caused an issue with the 3 seater that is coming out. Many people who stay silent behind the scenes and just buy multiple cars were shut out of this and people with very little buying experience (VIP's) winded up getting it. Dealers were totally shut out from any decision making.

Due to this issue with the 3 seater, the dealers pushed back at Mclaren and basically gave the feedback that mclaren had to take care of customers who buy a good number of cars. Worldwide, the dealers had to supply a list of their top customers (lists may have had 15 to 20 people) along with persons buying history, car collections and who they were (relative importance (ie., how wealthy they were). This list was submitted to Mclaren. Now, the Senna comes about. So what happens; in the first two rounds of selections by Mclaren, they totally ignore the dealer list of VIP's. The first six people who were allocated the Senna through my dealer weren't even in the top 8 of the dealer list. In the end; only 3 of the 11 people getting a senna from our dealer fell into the really important list of the dealer.

My conclusion in all of this stuff; mclaren/ferrari; forget buying cars to just get in line or move up in line. Get the one you want even if you have to get on the secondary market and have to pay over MSRP. You'll probably get the car faster and probably be indifferent or even ahead in the total financial cost then buying one car to get another.

F2003-GA, Caeruleus11, 488GTS and 2 others like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree always only buy the car you really want. But as is the case with your friend with the enzo, im sure it wasnt his first plus an enzo was top of the $ pile. He would surely count as VIP i would imagine.

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Even Preston Henn was dissed.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    This seems to fly in the face of many that post here! It is, of course, wonderful advise. You just have to consider that no matter how important you think you are, your dealer will only get so many allocations of any car and you can be replaced in a second by some hedge fund guy that suddenly wants the next big thing. Especially considering the heartbreaking example from a few prior posts, life's too short to try to impress people and delay the enjoyment you've already earned.

Small engine turbo cars do nothing for me but if its what you want then just keep an eye out and your car will come to you so don't sweat it.

uhn2000, 488GTS and nkhalid like this.
  10. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I hadn’t realised a 3.9l V8 was considered a “small engine”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Puny. 3.9L = 238 cubic inches. Not to mention the embarrassing lack of cylinders and girlish sound of a turbo. :)

Afonsolaw likes this.
  12. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    Can't believe we have to wait till Geneva now to see the 488 GTO and finally get all of its specs. The teaser they gave us is killing me.......its going to be insane. Everyone went nuts for the Huracan Performante and 911 GTRS but this will be a whole new level.

13. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    so here is the info from my dealer (central europe, not much new):
    1)i have a conformed allocation (i am not a 488GTB owner), the car is not a limited edition. if your dealer tells you that 488GTB
    ownership is mandatory, it his decision not to give you the car or he wants to sell another GTB. he hadwill have to send the client's names
    to ferrari but they do not care.
    2)the car will be very hardcore but it seems that all those carbon parts including the rims are only optional (he was not sure).
    3)GTB successor 2020, definitely hybrid
    4)SUV confirmed. marchionne's message is: we don't believe in all that s....but we have to play the game in order not to be swept away by market forces.
    5)german base price (unconfirmed, my dealer's estimate: about 300K without options), austrian base: 400K ouchhhhhh
    cheers peter

uhn2000 likes this.
  14. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    The car should be unveiled online before Geneva. I'd say one month from now, more or less.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  15. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

If someone films them making the launch video (as happened with Portofino) might be sooner !

F140C likes this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1916 Shadowfax, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Seriously? You, and I'm sure many other's here, myself included as a first time buyer, could only wish that to be true. Ferrari doesn't care? LOL! Let's surely hope so.
    Even Porsche has limited allocation of their 2rs to their VIP's and those lucky enough to have previously bought their cars and demonstrated a passion for their track and Motorsport events.
    I think the days of Porsche and Ferrari selling their exclusive GT cars to flippers is over.

F2003-GA and Afonsolaw like this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #1917 Solid State, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Sadly my observations are this is not the case in the US. Even so, this car is not a GT nor an LE and there will be lots of flipping as always. In fact, its very logical that this car will be flipped for the Aperta (if not the final) and that will be flipped for the real LE. To think otherwise would be naive IMHO.

18. jo_ker

jo_ker Karting

Mar 29, 2014
    Germany/Austria
    again an ACR comparison.
    after what we seen at the presentation - i don‘t thing the ‚big’ V10 8,4l N/A engine which has the redline at 6.500rpm will be more attractive than the ‚small’ turbo 488GTO engine will be...
    or also against a ‚small or big‘ 4.0l GT3/RS engine... 460Nm vs. 800nm

anyhow. what we didn‘t discussed until now is Euro6c. this emission law will kick in with 01.Sept.2018. Bmw changed already their cardan shaft from carbon to steel on the M3 to find the necessary space for the particle filter. The M2 will get the S55 engine instead of the N54/55 - also based on the Euro6c issue.

I guess the 3.9l F154CB V8 is not managing at the moment Euro6c. just Euro6. if they say that the GTO variant of this engine will be way more ‚radical‘ i can‘t believe it will be an easy task to fullfill Euro6c.

I don‘t want to create panic. but in this case they would not be able to pass Euro6c they could just register all cars within EU until 31.Aug.2018. But they will start production just this autumn 2018... ?

Does anybody has cut-out pictures of the 488GTB exhaust system? Where could be the space for such a particle filter?

19. jo_ker

jo_ker Karting

Mar 29, 2014
    Germany/Austria
    all this Euro6c issue is also the base of the supply problem of the 991GT2RS and 991.2GT3RS and .2GT3(T) within EU.

P would like to build more of them but based on the short production window till 31.Aug.2018 and the finite number of possible units per day ... this sums up to the problem they (and we) have.

did F have spoken about it this week? How they will solve it on the 488GTB?

20. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    So when we leave do we get more cars in UK ?

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    From what I understand, the 488 VS being released after Sept. '17 must comply to Euro 6C immediately, while the 488 GTB and Spider, which have been released before, have to be adapted (to become compliant) before Sept. '18.
    There is an open door for some exemptions, but I'm not clear on which criterias.

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Maybe they will launch it along with the F1 car on 22 Feb?

Ferrari 308 Vetro and F140C like this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Does anybody already know whether there will be a "private" preview for customers in February? (Ferrari use to do that, it was the case for the 488 GTB with an event in Maranello)
    I will ask my dealer on Monday anyway...

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  25. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    I just spoke with my friend and he told me that the first clients to be satisfied will be the challenge owner then the one with 458 Speciale and after the the ones with the 488 of course at the time of the order of the 488 "GTO"

So in my case he told me I will wait the end of 2019 beginning of 2020 as a future owner of 488 GTB (will arrive in the next 2 month I hope or I will suicide lol)