488 GTO ? | Page 85 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Clearly, English gentlemen don't tell fibs... :)

italiafan and F2003-GA like this.
  2. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    F2003-GA likes this.
  3. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    it is not fully sold. my dealer said 2-3 (more 2 than 3) years until delivery if i order now.

Bhh likes this.
  4. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It would indeed but that's my second option at present.

Not quite correct as the wheels were as delivered from Michelotto in that finish, albeit we stripped them to get a proper finish but in the same paint.

I think you are right now I consider it and why should I not have silver painted carbon wheels. Cool and subtle and function versus aesthetics solved. Just the question of the cost.

5. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    Maybe this could help:

19th January “one to one customer contact”
    22th January dealers will have their allocation
    16th February media realease
    20th February Private preview for buyers
    6th March Geneva motorshow launch

Nicolas21, uhn2000, Melons and 9 others like this.
  6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2106 Traveller, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    I think we did as I picked up about the titanium rods on the early fact posts. They make a substantial difference as you know markedly reducing rotating mass and reciprocating load and wouldn't surprise me if there was a good 50/60hp + just there. Added to all the carbon, the bill keeps going North.......

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    As I keep on saying, this has never been Ferrari's aim. It's the total package which will be far more involving and intoxicating. If you want straight line acceleration, buy a dragster.

italiafan, LVP488, gt_lusso and 6 others like this.
  8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

Someone help me with basic physics....I get that it lets the engine spin up faster/higher....how can a lighter con rod make 50-60hp more ?

9. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Fxxk-EVO, 488 VS, 488 LE, 812 tdf, these are the Ferrari I'm looking forward to see

10. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2110 Traveller, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    As I understand it as the crank rotates the rod is pushed out and then pulled back in. The weight of what the crank is pushing out and pulling back in is clearly very important as the lighter whatever it is pushing and pulling, the less energy is wasted in so doing and this gets markedly more efficient the higher you rev. I think it only really starts to have a benefit above 5,000 revs. Should have added that titanium rods weigh some 30% less and are stronger and more durable, provided they are handled carefully.

Just realised, doing my own maths, that if the 488 puts out 660, then just with this change the VS must be close to 720?

I hope this helps and am sure someone with greater engineering knowledge will chip in.

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Some sort of winglet/fence?

F2003-GA likes this.
  13. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Thanks. I always thought lighter con rods have less inertia, so change direction more easily, but didn't think normal con rods "ate" almost 10% of the output.

Good job I didn't study engineering.

14. Triflux

Triflux Rookie

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's why Ferrari heavily works on aero efficiency (ratio between vertical load and air resistance coefficients) and I'm pretty sure the active diffuser flaps will carry over to the 488VS, unloading downforce to favor top speed on the straights.

Very helpful indeed. Cheers.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Remember It's a prototype, not the final version.

F2003-GA likes this.
  16. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I could well be wrong on the HP gain myself being no engineer and apologise for the somewhat condescending explation, I was trying to keep it very simple!

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I really couldn’t care less how many they make. If the car is amazing I will want one. If they make 100 and it doesn’t appeal to me I won’t want one. It really is as simple as that.

18. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    488 challenge derived engine???

I thought all v8 challenge cars used standard road going v8 engines.

This car sounds very promising, like sombody is really waking up Ferrari from deep sleep. I think Mclaren just did that.

Hopefully it is not just an ilusion.

F2003-GA likes this.
  19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The car to the right of this car I believe is the final version as it is covered up. You can see its CF treatment and nose area is different.

20. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Basically yes, but 488C engine is lighter than the road version, has different engine mapping, shorter gear ratios and lighter Ti-exhaust system.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And note the wrapped rear engine cover. I wonder if it might receive a sort of tdf lite treatment.

crinoid likes this.
  22. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Any possibility of non black color choice on the rims?

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Didn't one of the pics or posts say that is was plastic and not glass and not sure if that's standard or optional.

24. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    As Ingenere pointed out, carbon can be painted and is often left uncoated to show it is carbon, hence why not have grey/silver painted carbon rims, a small penalty in weight and not so small penalty in cost on top of the $25,000 or whatever.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you guys are both right and while we can't be sure of the power gains from this, I think it provides the opportunity not just for more power, but I think even more important, quicker response. In keeping with the "its the whole package" theme, I am really excited about this car. What I love about Ferrari is they transcend the mechanics and science in a way that makes what they do art. In this case kinetic art- I can't wait!

Agreed on the CF wheels, I just wonder if they will be better/ worse/ the same than ordinary metal wheels when it comes to damage. My guess is since "normal" wheels are painted and clear coated, then it should be about the same. I also wonder how much weight the paint might add back in.. My guess is likely nominal. Though, the CF look might not be quite as bad as the "black holes" - my guess is they will look more dark grey than black.

of2worlds, Traveller and timduc21 like this.