488 or Speciale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 or Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by yidefuren, Feb 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

488 or 458 Speciale

1. 488 GTB

34 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. 458 Speciale

84 vote(s)
    71.2%
  1. yidefuren

yidefuren Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Thanks for all your replies and perspectives, you guys are very helpful. I did consider the 458 Spider but unfortunately have not encountered one with specs I like. Usual problem of buying used. Would you change your recommendation if my commute is less than 30 minutes with about 10 minutes of waiting at lights and depending on work, the drives home may be late at night with no traffic on highways?

Right now I am leaning towards the Speciale, but worried about it not being a good daily driver and depreciation when the 488GTO arrives.... decisions....

Going to attend the 488GTO unveil tomorrow. Exciting.

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Not sure I'd use a Speciale for the daily grind.

3. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Hi, I agree with the suggestion regarding a 458 Spider. having driven the 458 Italia and Speciale...the Speciale isn't at all like the raw driving 430 Scuderia (which I have also owned). The Speciale is quite subdued until you stomp on the gas....that's when she comes alive and is a beast. You could use all of the mentioned Fcars as a dd. They all pose issues when used as a dd and stuck in traffic but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. The issues are basically frustration sitting in a car that doesn't want to inch along in traffic. On FCA drives, I've been stuck in traffic with the Speciale and it was fine. Frustrating to sit there but the car was fine. The seats in the Speciale are racing seats and quite comfortable. In fact, they were far more comfortable than the Scud racing seats or the standard seats in the 458 Italia.

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Irrespective what the 488VS dishes up the Speciale will stand as a high water mark for Ferrari. The last of a breed of NA cars which stretch back to the 308 GT4 and great as turbo engines are, none will have the response of the 4.5 litre NA in the Speciale. The engine keeps giving and keeps revving. Yes, the turbo has instant gratification in a monster mid range but when you are driving the Speciale its like you are connected directly with it such is the instantaneous response of the engine and the race car feel of the car as a whole.

You should buy what makes you smile and gives you a thrill.

obbob likes this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Have to agree

Sent from my 16M

uhn2000 likes this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Speciale prices aren’t going anywhere for a while so you can buy in later.
    If anything they will go down in the recession that will come.

7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Uh,,,, yeah, whatever.

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You doubt these cars go down in a recession????!!!

9. yidefuren

yidefuren Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    That is what I am afraid will happen soon, but I'm impatient to get into my first Ferrari.

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    FWIW I think special only falls back slightly below msrp.

It’s the aperta that has room for a big fall, in absolute dollars.

And Enzo, laffer etc.

11. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Everything will fall in the next recession. 488's will fall more than Speciale's especially highly optioned examples.

488 is cushier and more quiet than a Speciale due to it's turbo engine but also it's greater sound deadening interior.

Both would be very expensive to run as daily drivers.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I agree...but someone above thought they wont decline in a recession! Had to laff.

13. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I’m getting the Pista, jolly excited about it too; wouldn’t dream parting with my Speciale either.

Zinger likes this.
  14. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    From the CS and Scuderia the Speciale is a far more DD car than the previous versions. But lets be serious, anyone with one of these cars must have another car lying around if the weather is bad after you just cleaned the thing :D

Also with history in terms of value. A CS is worth more than a 430. A Scuderia is worth more than a 458 and the Speciale will be worth more than a 488 GTB in years to come.

Just my thoughts...

Clay512TR likes this.
  15. lostinvegas

lostinvegas Rookie

Feb 8, 2017
    If you want an investment buy a house and rent it out, it will return more money than a car.

If you want a car then for you the 488 is going to be the best option. It' more refined, faster and in my view better looking than the Speciale.

I would only buy a Speciale if I was doing lots of track days.

16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Well “laff” all you want. They won’t.

17. yidefuren

yidefuren Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Agreed. I do not view it as an investment but limiting depreciation is always welcome.

I favour the Speciale for NA engine and probably more excitement at low speed with potentially lower depreciation, but not sure if the last will be true of a high mileage car.

488 is newer and more comfortable but may feel less special without the opportunity to extend its legs.

Lookswise both are good in my eyes. Speciale more aggressive, but the 488 is already more aggressive than the Italia

I don’t track now, but plan to. Even then it will be few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. yidefuren

yidefuren Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Indeed but as the youngsters say... YOLO. Most friends who own one say they should have bought one earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk