488 Pilota | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 Pilota

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ppg70, Jun 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The XX cars are probably more exclusive.

A challenge I have with the car is that we are being told we cannot get the car if we have an allocation already. Oh, we can forego our earned allocation to get it, we just cannot have both. Somehow this seems wrong to me. I realize it is a one percent problem.

Tonyguns77 likes this.
  2. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I think this style of stripe really suits car although I appreciate it is not for everyone.
    Chrixxx's Speciale has the previous GTE tricolore stripe and looks brilliant.
    The tricolore livery is also a nice echo of the Challenge Stradale.
    I decided when I got my Pista allocation to put this stripe on but now not so sure for fear of being a Pilota wannabe !
    Some of the other "features" on the Pilota I would rather live without but all a matter of personal taste.

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It would be unreasonable to expect something more than a livery. Making a huge investment for the upgrade of a recently upgraded car, to be sold in less than 100 units, makes no sense.

TSOYBELIS and JagShergill like this.
  4. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    OK but at least the center lock wheels!!!

elmadi likes this.
  5. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Wing Mirrors from GTE would have been great but I guess regulatory approval for a road car is the issue.

6. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    The appeal? In marketing terms there's nothing more powerful than the scarcity of something desirable. What a boring world it would be if we were rational :)

7. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    If they have done at least some of the wishes I listed above plus some other upgrades such as GT3 mirrors/Center Lock wheels, they would have sold much more that 100 pieces. Those upgrades are mostly ready to be integrated. They don't need a huge investment for those. Also don't forget that there are thousands of people all over the wold who participate in races with Ferraris. Plus there are guys in XX and F1 programs.

8. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    [QUOTE="MuratC, Those upgrades are mostly ready to be integrated.

Interesting !
    I have pushed delivery of my Pista into 2020 as I'm hoping there will be some more options like the GTE wing mirrors.
    Do you have any further info ?

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I guess that Ferrari regards that as the hypercars' prerogative.

On a side note, a mate of mine was stranded for a whole night when he had a flat on a motorway, because the local 24 hour tyre shop didn't have a wrench for his 911 GTS centre lock wheels. He had to wait till the next morning, when the stores opened. He a;sp had to pay for the AA tow truck and a hotel stay as well.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Things have gotten out of hand though. $50,000,000 for a piece of rubbish (in engineering terms), like the 250 GTO?

Camlet1 likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    But the purpose of this marketing exercise was to sell them in limited numbers. :D
    One has to look in the past to know what an automaker will do next.

12. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Nope.

I have seriously considered getting these mirrors for my Speciale but unfortunately they won't fit to the original door. The only way to have them is to get the GTE/GT3 doors as well. But then you won't have any door locks, power windows, etc :D But I might do it for the Pista ;)

chrixxx likes this.
  13. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Shame.I seem to remember the Challenge Stradale mirrors were different from 360 mirrors and much nicer.

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    $$$

15. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Yep. But thank heavens it happens otherwise we'd have nothing to talk about :)

My colleagues in Russia told me in the Soviet era the smartest housewives would manually read bar codes to find the freshest loaf of bread. We will always want the very best whether a loaf of bread, the Mona Lisa of cars or a LE Pista with a unique paint job.

I'm going to pay goodness knows how much to have my Pista painted in a rare 1950s colour. I'm nuts too:D

16. Lupo

Lupo Rookie

Jul 25, 2007
    Lugano - Switzerland
    See #11

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Sir, as an ex Army Officer, I happen to know that in the USSR there were no bar codes in breads (tongue in cheek. obviously). As a matter of fact, we were a bit (and when I say "a bit", I mean "bloody ****less") terrified about their 10,000+ nuclear warheads and 15,000+++ tanks, ready to invade. What I will tell you used to be classified information: If they reached the Rhine, tactical nuclear weapons were to be deployed.

barry 94formula likes this.
  18. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I asked about these wing mirrors for my upcoming aperta when I did Tailor Made for my 812. I'm going to do Tailor Made for my aperta and they said no way _ so I'm pretty sure they won't do it.

ajr550 likes this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not unreasonable if it was part of the original re-design but just held back on the tune for the high volume Pista. Seems strange to have such a re-design (engine internals even) and not get a better jump in power for a bi-turbo V8. Maybe saving it for later.

Roland1688 likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same here.

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    They obviously reached their targets. Another power jump just for the sake of it isn't their style. Also, they have to keep the V8 on rung below the V12.

22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    via Musso, Maranello

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    the so large stripe doesn't look good on the nose, at my eyes

This car is (in my opinion) a "Marchionne way" to gain more money: I think it's the very first time in Ferrari history (or one of the very few times) that there is a new special model without any tech upgrade

ciao

24. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    In my eyes too. I understand that they want to underline as much as they can the relation between the race and the road car (regarding livery). Of course I don't understand why all of us had so many expectations about this car. I tend to believe that simply some rumors raise the bar. I haven't had any internal info but as far as I know Ferrari never said or imply that there will be an upgraded version of an already recently upgraded car (as EALZEUS said).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shadowfax and NürScud like this.
  25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I hadn't any expectation about this car, as I believed it would have been a 2019 introduced model with some upgrades. I don't understand why there is this new "model" just three months after the Pista that just adds a livery: where is the sense of 200 pieces of a "tailor made" car? tailor made means it's my one, I don't want to see another one like mine.

It looks that today Ferrari can do what she wants and the marked will say "yes" the same every time, but this car is something that doesn't add value to the Ferrari brand, in my opinion

ciao