488 Pista Paint Problems | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Paint Problems

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dansage, Dec 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

100% accurate.

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Ferrari has a state of the art automatic in house spraying plant. They Painted a lot of time carbon fiber parts, since many years. An error can aways happen, but usually those so big problems are due to a damage done during the car delivery or at the dealership when stored before delivery and then too quickly fixed in some way as soon as possible. If paint comes out just by touching it, means it lacks a component (il catalizzatore, in Italian) and an very big error was done during the bumper (re)painting process, probably by someone that shouldn't paint anything as he hasn't the knowledge to do it properly.

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    With all this talk about clear bras and virtually 100% of people opting to get them installed aftermarket- why don’t manufacturers just include it as an option from the factory? Seems to me they leave revenue on the table.

4. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Ferrari has it as an option, others won't because almost all other car companies have their cars sitting outside and for who knows how long.

Most new Ferraris are ordered. Not true with Merc, BMW, etc. Dealers would rather lower their initial outlay and outsource the job when needed. Plus, many cars come wrapped from the factory to prevent issues during transit.

Back to the OP, in my opinion, somebody took the car for a joyride behind a dumpster and tried to cover it up with touch-up paint. As 09Scuderia said, those are rock chips, if it were an issue from the manufacturer, others would pop up, there's always a batch with issues before they're caught AND it would be happening on other parts of the same car, rear, etc.

Caeruleus11 and SoCal to az like this.
  5. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Just curious was this car available at the last minute because the guy that ordered it was getting a Pilota?

6. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Based on how bad they are at painting, would you really want this? Before applying clear bra, the paint must be corrected and polished, all sanding marks, buffer trails etc removed. Detailing is certainly an art and clear bra requires incredible patience and precision ... can’t see any manufacturer being very good at it. Incidentally Porsche now includes it as a factory option on new 992 911s ... though unsure if done at the factory or by dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cigarzman and geochin like this.
  7. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I can’t help but to think the OP’s car was not the only one this happened too. If an improper mix was the issue, I would think that they mix up more than one bumper’s worth at a time.

8. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    One of the first cars here had a similar problem but more on the bumper sides. It got sorted out no issues by the dealer. Don't think the car went back to Italy. No drama, these things happen.

09Scuderia likes this.
  9. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
  10. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Notice how they blocked out the VIN and dealer info? Dealer trying to flip the car through a mule/third party.

Looks like not many folks played the game.

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I am sure Ferrari NA can search for Pistas with that exact msrp

12. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Ad now shows as SOLD! They were asking like 250k over if I remember correctly

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It's not the only one.

14. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    #89 boobernackle, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Yes, but they won't until many customers start complaining. FNA can't do anything about it, dealer has every right to sell the car to whichever customer it wants, even using a third party mule/flipper.

I doubt the car actually sold, they just wanted to cover the MSRP and "other options". It'll be moved by other means outside of public view.

15. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    There are others with this exact problem? Why is the problem only at the front bumper area then? If it were a paint issue, where it doesn't adhere to CF, then it should be peeling on other parts of the car too, not just the front bumper.

Read my earlier post, issues in the manufacturing process arise on more than one car, as by the time it's figured out, many cars have left the line.

Just curious why it only happens on the front bumper.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Good points, I don't know the answers.

17. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My dealer has told me that the new paint process Ferrari introduced is causing problems with metallic paints. My Portofino has been green 10 for months (metallic silver) and my Pista order is effectively on hold.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Do you know if it’s also an issue for cars painted offsite by Carrozzeria Zanasi? Also, is the problem limited to carbon fiber surfaces? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Whatever the issue, remember Ferrari only guarantees paint for 36 months from new even if its solely their cause. See other threads about this.

20. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    One can easily buy 2 pista...not Pista Aperta’s though...

21. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    I have this problem with the roof of my 458SA. After PPF application, she the car was returned to me in CH, we spotted what looked like “milky” fluid under the PPF. The PPF co sent their people over and sure enough the original clear coat was not correctly applied and when they peeled back the PPF, the lacquer (clear coat) cake right off.....21 Jan she goes in for new application of clear coat on both roof panels...

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Most don't realize how strong the modern adhesives are on PPF. As you illustrate, it can and does remove paint. Glad that yours was detected directly after PPF application and hope your re-clear goes expertly on the 458SA. I had a German car re-cleared on the hood. Came out superb. Was done by a company called Wagon Works which hailed themselves as one of the best. Make sure they remove all trim and rubber seals and not just tape and clear up to them. Its extra work but result is seamless. Best.

23. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Don’t think their is anyone around that does better work than the gent that is reapplying clear coat on mine. He is painting a good friend of mine’s 250 LM and has done loads of work for him on other F classic race cars.

Believe I’m in as good as hands can be.

This being said, the issue has nothing to do with PPF , it’s just coincidence and the people who applied it had a yellow 458SA that had this issue on the entire top section of the rear of the car over the motor all the way back....ouch!

Solid State and Shadowfax like this.
  24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    They don't use adhesive for ppf - just simple liquid baby soap. If the paint comes off it wasn't on properly to begin with. Ppf comes off very easy and can also be put back on if done correctly using a little bit of heat from a blow dryer.

SLDriver and F12KID like this.
  25. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Exactly! Hence my clear coat issue is from original application at factory