488 - 488 Pista Picture Thread | Page 63 | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista Picture Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by -CD-, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Rosso Corsa Metallizato - has a cost option out here of 20K. I've seen the two side by side in the flesh and in certain light it adds a richness and slightly deeper hue over the standard RC which can look a bit flat in some lights and, at some angles. RCM tends to show the lines of the car better IMO.

Now whether it's worth the 20K extra is another question altogether.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/rosso-corsa-metallic.542950/

agrun likes this.
  2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    and I assume repairs and touch ups are more complex

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I can't see why they would be?

I'd be more concerned about the car not looking the money in regular RC - which to me is a reality with the color unfortunately.

4. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. No concensus on whether it's worth it or if better to go for 3x paint for 30k

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The usual advice applies: you need to see it in person. I can tell you when I saw RCM in person, I was surprised that I saw almost no difference to regular Rosso Corsa. Yet, others say it makes a tremendous difference. Thus, it seems this is a color that some will see as incredible and others will wonder what's the big deal. Its just how you see it.

of2worlds, Shadowfax and Garretto like this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I'm actually not a fan of metallic paints, so it wasn't a tough decision for me. That aside, seeing both, I didn't see how RCM made a significant difference in the depth of color or impact, particularly for the up-charge. I'm very happy I chose Rosso Corsa. I will again for my Pista.

Shack likes this.
  7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Well I am locking in RC - Will spend the extra $s on other stuff :)

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1558 Shadowfax, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    It is worth it IMO. I recall the first time I saw the two alongside one-another I had to ask someone why did one look so much much better than the other as I just couldn't put my finger on it. I thought maybe one just needed a cut and polish or something of that nature as something was amiss. If it were a no cost option and you had the opportunity of seeing them both parked alongside one another I couldn't imagine anyone choosing the regular RC over the RCM.

I would however agree with Caeruleus that the differences in some light conditions can be very hard to pick, but you will notice it for sure at one point and wish you had it. I'm sure of that.

PS. Rossocorsa1, The metallic in RCM is invisible unless you put a torch up very close to the paint and look very very closely into the paint otherwise you can't see it. Definitely better than the standard RC which can look quite bland/flat in certain light.....which doesn't do the car any favors IMO!

RCM otoh works in ALL light conditions and doesn't leave you questioning the integrity of the paint. BUT is it 20K better? Hmm. Therein lays the main problem for most.
    I just don't know why RCM isn't standard given the value of the car and the fact that the standard RC look/finish can leave itself wanting under most light conditions unfortunately.

MANDALAY and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    If it was ones only car I would agree (not trying to be a jerk here). Performance and overall looks are more of a priority IMO if one "shares the love" with other cars

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I know the feeling there... and yes 20K will buy you a lot of other stuff.

Shack likes this.
  11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Personally I have found myself spending big on paint and little on carbon. I don’t dislike carbon but I can’t get my head around the cost/benefit part. I’ve never felt I did the wrong thing when the cars have arrived. I get so many compliments on both my RM and Blu Corsa cars. I’ve had friends regularly ask me if I minded them using RM or some form of triple layer red for their cars.

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    What color is RM?

13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Maybe rosso maranello ?

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Very nicely said :)

15. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Rosso Maranello in this case.

Shadowfax likes this.
  16. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes, Rosso Maranello.

Shadowfax likes this.
  18. alfran

alfran Rookie

Mar 10, 2015
    do you know why detailing was so difficult? You got me concerned and it is too late for me to change because my car just left the factory.....

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    As said Rosso Corsa Metallic. Its around 20K here or about 12K in the USA. It was the release colour IIRC. See my issue is with RC it WILL look flat at certain angles one thing that I truly hated given the fact I wanted RC. My perception in spending nearly 600K is that it should shine no matter what angle , light etc. When I started specking up my car i asked if I could have extra layers of paint because of this issue. Obviously the answer was no but the salesman knew exactly what was my concern. He then said RCM. I waited a couple of months which then he had 2 cars side by side. It is noticeable, but slight but where it mattered to me was it was shiny at ALL angles. Was it worth the money , to me yes as i wanted it to be RC. Only really close up will you see the metallic , its so fine. Would I buy this option again 100% yes. Look at the reflections

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11, stavura and Shadowfax like this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

No just a base coat with clear

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Don't panic, the car looked oh so beautiful. The colour is great !. The issue is this as I found out . As many have pointed out one really prays hard hoping the car when it comes in doesn't need much preparation. Sadly Ferrari paint job isn't like a Lexus. These cars are hand made and there can be some swirls , marks , overspray etc. They are carefully attended to at predelivery ( hence why they wouldn't show you your car before its done )

I was informed my car was basically excellent however when looking at the 812 it was commented that the car needed a lot of work.
    The reason is basically this. Standard paint with clear coat they are really only polishing out any imperfections in the clear coat. Hopefully they don't go down to the base coat. Bad prep can be seen on the corners. Now with this paint on the 812 they actually tint the clear coat. ( this is why its dear and looks really great )
    That's the issue it must be done carefully.

22. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Excellent choice !! I specced this for my TDF and it is a superb colour - esp when the sunlight hits it ... Mama mia!!

23. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Yes Shack- I have it on my TDF and was the best decision I made on my car - such a vibrant deep lush colour !!

24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thanks Jag. Will finalise the spec in next two months so I really need to get to see it in person :)

JagShergill likes this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Don't blow it shack- you only get one go at it. I say go for the triple coat RC! RCM should be the barest of minimum.:cool:

Shack likes this.