488 - 488 Pista poor exhaust noise with closed valves | Page 6 | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista poor exhaust noise with closed valves

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GoHardGT3RS, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I have Novitec springs on my 488...so far in 1500 miles everything is great. The springs after all all KW springs which are a well known engineered brand. But like you say they are sort of fit it fits engineered because these springs also fit the Pista and F8 I am learning. Hummm... For my stock wheel I didn't go with the Novitec stupid expensive wheel spacers as I saw other no name brand spacers that look exactly like the Novitecs. I went with Hill Engineering spacers and bolts and they worked out great. I now have HRE fitted wheels and do not use the spacers.

2. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    How do you like the sound?

3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    The 488 GTB has a vent right in the area where the muffler builds up most of the heat -- that's generally a good thing as it means at least you may be getting airflow there rather than build-up on the Pista.

If they haven't installed the rear bumper PPF yet, you may want to see if you can have a bit of a drive in it to test out if your car has the issue. After the drive, put your hand in that area to see how warm it gets before you decide to wrap it. I honestly would never have thought to do that with the OEM system, as it's the last thing you'd expect to be hot to touch. Ultimately, it's worth a check.

Save yourself some the trouble and benefit from the issues I had to deal with with that exact exhaust.

4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I ended up ordering the Forza Valve Controller and I had Ferrari fit this whilst they reinstalled the rear emblem.

The price for this was absolutely of the charts!

$1,000 just for the labor!! Reamed!

And I can report that the car still sounds ****, just slightly less **** than before, on a positive note it also looks better Image Unavailable, Please Login the emblem back on!

May the Horse be with you

mdrums and Spider68 like this.
  5. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #130 Napoli, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Spoke with my Ferrari mechanic yesterday about my Pista. With regard to the issue of "back flow or back pressure," he said all of the requisite pressure occurs on the front side of the turbos and that it is not at all an issue to pin the exhaust valves. He also said, the reason the valves exist is to merely create and capture more immediate heat for the catalytic converter to burn up the exhaust deposits upon startup and drive. But, that doesn't matter much as the system adequately heats up in short order even with the valves pinned open. Upon hearing this, I had him pin the valves on my Pista. The results are just WOW!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums, Viperjoe, Ivan Drago and 3 others like this.