488 pista vs F8 tributo | Page 11 | FerrariChat

488 pista vs F8 tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speed77, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You should see an optometrist.....the two S-duct designs are night and day different.

FLU and Jo Sta7 like this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Acknowledging the aesthetic distinctions between the Pista and the F8 is obvious. My point is that purchasing the car that offers less performance due to a relatively minor visual difference strikes me personally as odd.

greg328 likes this.
  3. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Agree about the visibility but rather because the air brake is so darn massive. I can live with it.

Disagree that it’s ugly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tekaefixe, Shadowfax, Gh21631 and 5 others like this.
  4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Yet they’ll still sell every one that they make. Seems their customers just accept depreciation as a fact of life.

5. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The discussion of which is the better car, (whether it's comparing the F8 and the Pista or McLaren vs. Ferrari) sets me to thinking...I guess that's a good thing. When I was young and dirt poor, I loved to spend time studying and listening to high-end audio systems. I discovered then that I had very particular tastes regarding what sound I found enjoyable. If you had asked me then what sound system was "the best" it most certainly would have been the product of nothing more than my own opinion. Importantly, turning a system up until it was so loud that it made one's ears bleed was not really a factor in forming that opinion.

The present crop of exotic cars is so brutally fast and wonderfully competent that they can perform in ways very few of us can ever exploit, much less on the street. Thus, much like listening to high-end audio, it's not so much about the volume; it's about the overall experience.

I've been blessed to generally have several cool cars at the same time. The cumulative number is now over 100. While I don't imply that this makes my opinion more valuable, it does at least give me some context to share a recent experience. I sent my delicious 993 Turbo off to the shop a few months back for a mild turbo and exhaust upgrade. I got it back a few weeks ago, and I can't stop driving it. Is it as fast as, say, the latest Porsche 992 Turbo? Heck no. In fact, the base 992 will mop the floor with it. And yet, if you asked me which is the "best", I wouldn't hesitate; it's quite clearly the air-cooled, diminutive toad you see pictured above.

Thus, if you asked me whether I prefer my Pista to the F8, I wouldn't hesitate to respond that it's not even close; it's the Pista all day long. However, it would take me a week to analyze all the eccentric reasons that I hold that opinion. The beauty of the exotic car hobby is we all get to scratch our own itch. :)

Bundy, megamarco9, Spider68 and 9 others like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    We all do. Depreciation is just something that goes on while you sleep. There are more interesting things to spend time thinking about.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

greg328, Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I can't, sorry. I think it is borderline hideous.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MANDALAY and Igor Ound like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 765LT to my eyes ( which are 20/20), is the most exciting design of all current super cars. I found the 720S mildly aesthetically appealing, but the 765 elevates the level of appeal to a new plateau. This is what a super car should look like. It is dressed for business.

Gh21631, Jo Sta7 and Boomhauer like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I had the same car but in black. In its day it represented a soaring quantum leap above any other. Driving that car agressively ( and at times even not aggressively) was a true test of one's adroitness in keeping the car in its intended direction. The Porsche evolution to 996 , 997 etc , diluted the thrill factor to the point where my wife felt totally comfortable owning a 997 Turbo.

Bundy and greg328 like this.
  10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Park a 765LT next to any modern Ferrari I think the level of detail side by side will reveal their Mclaren exceeds the Ferrari. To me, the F8 is Ferrari meets Aston Martin. Driving one, it was luxurious and truly beautiful. But in an Aston way. Smooth, curvy, feminine (even in black) beauty. The Mclaren isn’t beautiful, but it’s striking, mean, and powerful more so than any modern Ferrari.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Funny you mention, high end audio, since that is my business. In that field there is a more objective standard of excellence and that is the ability of a sound system to replicate as accurately as possible, the original sound of the musical source. That does not imply that all listeners will find the system that is the highest fidelity to the original source, the most pleasing. On the most transparent audio systems, poorly recorded musical material, will have its aberations scrupulously unveiled causing it to be less appealing to the ear.

megamarco9 likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Subjectively, the F8 and Pista are stunning, elegant cars with a design aesthetic that is highly differentiated to the more aggressive, race car persona of the 765LT. I admire both approaches and find them both highly appealling.

Gh21631 and FLU like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Arena Red Metallic 993...sublime automotive perfection!
    This is as close as I could get with a modern Porsche...6-speed manual GT3 in ARM. Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Always been fond of Arena Red.

15. Hey now, I resemble that statement.

greg328 likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Looks badass and purposeful. Cant wait to get mine.

17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
  18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    All at or above MSRP? Doubt it when you can find very little used 720s for less than half the price

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    ^ :rolleyes: Says dude who doesn't even own a car.

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Mclarens, Mansory approved!

21. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What a ridiculous post.

Jo Sta7, Gh21631 and Igor Ound like this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I can relate to your first paragraph. Both home but even more in Car Audio. Was generally the case my own opinion UNTIL i really got into it. Specific car and nearly $110,000 i made a system that could be judged by anyone and still was the best. No one ever came close. I say this because technically you can have a Number 1 . But then subjectively they could criticize that it was a BMW. BTW my tweeters playing 135 DB by themselves would make you deaf in 5 seconds. But like you said it wasn't all about how loud.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Man, I can be punchy at times, but that's just cold!:D

Igor Ound likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    He's a troll. Owns none of these cars but sure has a lot to say. For whatever reason he thinks his opinion matters to anyone but himself.

Surfah, Shadowfax and Jo Sta7 like this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Is that guy Noone3

Cigarzman and Gh21631 like this.