488 pista vs F8 tributo | Page 7 | FerrariChat

488 pista vs F8 tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speed77, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The only thing I like better about the F8 over the Pista is the interior UI. Not that the UI in the F8 is all that great, it's just that it is better than the Atari-style graphics and 1990s AOL dial-up speed internet responsiveness of the Pista. (Can't really say I thought the thinner steering wheel was that much of an improvement; its a draw in my book.)

Personally, I think the F8 exterior lines look a bit too feminine. (And, yes, I have seen it in person.)

Gh21631 and paulchua like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Can you play space invaders on it?

3. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

One sure thing - both will loose a ton of cash.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    So what. You cant take it with you. May as well have some fun while youre losing it. Its when youre losing it, not using it, and not having any fun that could be a problem. You just need to look at how you approach the situation and then play it out.

paulchua and Gh21631 like this.
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And anyway, I highly doubt that long term the Pista doesn't double in value.

6. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I hope your kidding, no reason the pista would ever double in value. It may eventually level off like the speciale.

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In 10 years the Speciale will be a $1mm car is my prediction. Pista is $700k+. Look at the value curves over time of the special editions of cars. It's not the difficult to forecast into the future. When everything is hybrid the premiums for these will fly.

Napoli likes this.
  8. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Pista is USD 700K??!?! Or is that your prediction as well? In Europe, Pistas are calling for EUR 350-400. That's asking price.

9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The entire legacy of cars gaining value in ten years is questionable; it’s generational in my opinion,with a new cadre of younger folks catering to hybrids and electrics. No doubt that prices will be stabilizing in the near future....my FGT has doubled in price (extraordinary during this difficult time); environmental pressures in EU and to some extent in the US will be mitigating circumstances.

10. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Pista will likely be an msrp car or less. zero chance it goes up to 700k. But who knows what the world of hybridization will bring.

11. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    If you thought the speciale will be a million dollar car in 10 years , I'd buy a couple of them for 300-350k now. Would be a great return if true.

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ve thought about it, but 3x can be had elsewhere and with the cars being so mileage dependent there isn’t too much fun to be had.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    UI in my Raptor is better than any Ferrari by a lot. In the past I never cared about this stuff and even today for a sports car I dont need it to be great but Ferrari is waaaaay behind. I found the system in the 720's to be just right for me. Intuitive, fast and straightforward. In fact the cameras were excellent as well.

14. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    As my F friend says.. F8 big profit, Pista bigger profit.....ciao.

Ash Patel likes this.
  15. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #165 Lukeylikey, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Not sure I heard any owners complaining that they felt ripped off by buying either an F8 or a Pista. I certainly don’t feel like that and we bought both. Mostly they argue why they’re glad they got the one they did!

As for future values, I actually agree, both Speciale and Pista will be way higher than MSRP.......one day. I doubt it’s 10 years away but somewhere between 20 and 40, so too long for us to consider as an investment (investment for our kids, maybe). At that point, mileage will not be that relevant but spec and originality will. What that means, though, is that you should keep, drive and be a good owner for the special cars, assuming you can afford it, and they will be fantastic things to own and drive and store up some sort of value for those who come after you to do what they want with. If they are wealthy enough and have the desire to want to keep the cars around, they will provide a kind of joy and attachment that cannot be bought - as family heirlooms go, I can’t think of any better I’d like (my father was especially good at selling cars but he never loved them so we didn’t keep any).

Now that seems like an investment to me, an investment with a more valuable return than money. And if that doesn’t float their boat, they can sell it and the money should be roughly ok too.

For example, our Speciale was built to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary with various details woven into its design to commemorate that. We have driven it everywhere including many ‘exotic’ European locations and many grand circuits like Le Mans and the IOM TT. I did the MM with my youngest daughter in it (and she absolutely loved it - she’ll remember that trip for the rest of her life and will probably be the one who ends up owning the car). When that happens, hopefully it will be old and so will I. She will never be thinking about depreciation since she will have inherited it, she will only think of what it means to her and that if she ever wanted to sell it, it will be worth a lot of money. What a lovely thing to inherit!

Then, people will be driving around with silent, efficient machines, maybe without needing to drive themselves, maybe with the driving not even being driving either, who knows. Adverts of the now aged Mr Musk saying “when I was young, I had a dream, that we would all drive quietly and without CO2, see how far we’ve come since then”, all piped into our e-connected identi-mobile like something out of demolition man. Ugh. Then you see a beautiful, noisy, smelly, raucous, exciting Speciale - how many people will own one of those? In a world of same and quiet, wouldn’t your eyes and ears be glued to that red machine announcing its arrival and departing just as quickly as it goes by? Our “grandkids are gonna love it“ to nick a line from another silly film!

TR007, Spider68, FHFP and 7 others like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    At my age, I avoid decisions that are predicated on the distant future. As for inheritance for my offspring, cash is king. Leaving them commodites that are not of interest to them that need to be sold, presents more of a burden than a gift. I have a very extensive collection of rare and valuable LPs that are now in the process of liquidation since my kids have no interest in them and selling them without my guidance would prove highly problematic. The upside to my attitude is that I pay fastidious attention to the present since pleasure delayed is pleasure denied.

SVCalifornia, paulchua and italiafan like this.
  17. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the only issue truly long term is petrol being replaced with EV. when it's almost illegal to have a petrol car or insanely expensive because of fuel or legislative costs then it becomes a big issue and devalues even classic vehicles imo

in the medium term I can see the 458 spec overtaking the pista price wise.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Wow.
    One of the best posts I have ever read on FChat. Seriously.
    You have captured so well my feeling as well.
    My two sons have already divided up my cars among themselves, kind of damned morbid! :)
    My older son has been on father-son road trips, with him driving the ‘18 911 GT3 manual, which is his favorite car in the stable. Younger son cherishes the Speciale as #1.
    I think they also divided up my watch collection.
    Time to hit the gym and disappoint them for many years to come!

All we have...ALL we have...are memories....like tears in the rain....

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hard to ever know for sure, that said, I think one should buy these toys with the notion of playing with them - not keeping them hermetically sealed in their packaging, only deriving pleasure the day it's sold with a profit.

If not bought as a pure commodity - one 'lost' no money, as I looking back at my own memories with my Ferrari, those experiences have been priceless.

:)

Spider68 likes this.
  20. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Beautifully said!

paulchua and Spider68 like this.
  21. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    It will be like Mad Max!

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I doubt this will ever happen - short, medium or long term. Too many people like myself would rather have the better performing car. Not to mention the Pista is just beautiful to look at. 458 Spec will go the way of the scud and CS. It will have its up and downs but probably settle about where it is.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Also, another perspective, though I completely agree with the notion of playing with your toys - I do understand that for some, simply keeping them brings them the same joy (if not more) by merely knowing they own it (i.e., collectors)

I would argue for these folks - even buying and storing in a way gives them happiness too - and in the end, isn't that what it's all about? However, you get your rocks off - you got your monies worth.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    IDK....with the F8 being so well received and matching or beating Pista, it’s hard to see this happening. They were below MSRP back in March, not sure where they are now.

Ash Patel and Boomhauer like this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That wont matter. The 360 is on par with the CS performance wise. The 430 much better. Same for the scud, 458 is much better in every way but the scud still holds value in comparison.

The Pista is likely the last of it's kind and the best looking car Ferrari has made in a recent years.

hairdoc and Pis7a2020 like this.