488 pista vs F8 tributo | Page 9 | FerrariChat

488 pista vs F8 tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speed77, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    What about the Aero package on the Pista??

Surely that gives more mechanical grip??

May the Horse be with you

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You have to add an emoji :)

sampelligrino likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    What is really amazing is how the few members driving the agenda against me have not even driven a Pista, yet for some odd reason feel the need to incessantly fantasise they are the same car.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - again - but playing the broken record about the engine assembly being the same isnt going to miraculously turn F8 in to a Pista. That is a reality.

Info about the engine is shared is yesterday’s news, and can easily be acquired by anyone without need to create a F8 vs the Pista thread. So unless information can be provided based upon actual driving experience, and conveyed in a manner which describes the behavioural differences then rabbiting on over the same old repetitious info like a broken record (that the engine is shared) is pointless noise.

epah, mdrums, Lagunae92 and 2 others like this.
  4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Ok so the conclusion is that the engine block, internals and power output is the same, but obviously the cars are different in design and driving experience. My point is not to say one is better than the other, as that is subjective.
    My point was that this is the first time in the V8 line up that Ferrari did not change the engine in their successive model. Is Ferrari getting lazy? Are they trying to pump out too many cars in too short of time? Why didn’t they bump up the HP even 10 units (easy to do with turbo)?
    Sure Lambo tacks on a body kit and calls it a special edition all the time. But I didn’t think Ferrari would keep the engine the same, as it never did this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Fchat consensus is that F8 was stop-gap model released bc LB was delayed.
    Seems a reasonable explanation given available information but who knows if it’s accurate or the entire story.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #206 Shadowfax, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    There is nothing subjective about which is the more exciting and engaging to drive. To answer your point, the car does not need any more power, and i guess Ferrari knew that which is likely why they worked on the set ups in much the same way as Porsche has done to a certain degree with their new 992tts. I would rate the driving experience of the new tts and f8 as being very much in the same vein in terms of how both behave vs their track focused counterparts in terms of driver engagement. The interesting thing though is that because the track focused cars are now so livable, the question does come to mind after driving these two why would you bother with the less track focused version when the compromise to dd ability are so minuscule yet the driver engagement and ultimate thrill factor is so stark. And therein lays the dilemma for F8. I'm not saying it isnt a great car or that there isn't a place for it, but once you've driven the two - in the exact same environment - if you are not asking yourself this question then I can't help you. And those who backed to backed the cars ALL said the same thing. So there is a common conclusion.

I'm also not saying the Pista is the most complete performance package I've ever driven either - but is very good for a Ferrari and certainly far more engaging and, accordingly more exciting to drive than the F8, whilst Pista manifests minimal compromise to ride comfort and general comparative livability. This is the part i found myself struggling with, with the F8. The differences/compromises - if you could call them that - are more pronounced between a 992tts and a Gt2rs. I thought the main compromise between these two was the getting in and out of the different seats. With Pista and F8 the seats are the same (if you choose the cf buckets).

I just think that now that these gt so called track focused cars have suspensions which are so livable it becomes hard to get into the regular version without asking yourself what is going on here. It has become a situation where o

WARPSPEED likes this.
  7. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Would also kill the Pista to have a more powerful car come out while the “special” version is on the production line. I’d still have bought mine. I like having no carpets!

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t think it’s matter of Ferrari getting “lazy”. For me, Ferrari is putting a massive amount of energy and money into the next platform. The F8 was a way to keep relevance versus the 720S (which was a performance game changer) before the hybrid platform is ready. The F8 required a relatively limited level of development versus the 488 as the engine is the same as the Pista (sorry to those who get upset by this). It looks much better, to my eye, than the 488. Not all agree. I doubt there is much of anything in a straight line between the F8 and the Pista (Pista should be quicker to 125 mph due to gearing but traction and tire heat matter most). Pista was tuned to be more raw and visceral, F8 more livable and easy. All the differences in hardware/software between the two are geared toward that ethos.

Coincid likes this.
  9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    This has been discussed before as well. The Pista is $100,000 more than an F8 a very large amount of money. Also some people like me would rather have a car with an updated interior, new exterior look, glovebox, real arm rests, etc... I will never knock the Pista is it is an awesome car just not for me for reasons described above.

05F430F1 likes this.
  10. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    #210 WM458, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    The Pista is the so called light weight version of the 488GTB. Closing the series lifetime.
    Usually these species are sportier, louder, harsher, stronger (more powerful) and faster (than their originals).
    Besides slight modifications the F8 got chassis, suspension, most of the interiors and infotainment from the 488.
    And, this is quite new to Ferrari, the same engine and gearbox as the 488’s LW version.
    Ferrari say just the software of the gearbox has been adjusted slightly.

11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I prefer the sporty look/feel/drive of the Pista. I like that fact that it’s a “limited edition/special series”. Having said that- I love the F8. Its beautiful and have thought about adding an F8 spider to the garage in addition to the Pista but too many other toys to get.

Both amazing cars.

LARRYH, Ash Patel and Coincid like this.
  12. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    In todays world it is a quite expensive process for an engine to pass the certification for regulations to become street legal on many geographies at once. Same with chassis and many other components.

increasing throughput usually means recertification where decreasing does not matter that much. Therefore manufacturers have to reuse as much as possible without increasing and they need to iterate with as many models as possible to sell more.

That's why there is huracan performante. then performante spyder, then huracan evo, then huracan evo spyder, then evo rwd, then evo rwd spyder. Next year huracan STO. All with same engine some models slightly detuned.

These are already great cars. However, there aren't such big differences between them. And it is fine so. So when somebody says 488 pista is so much different to F8, you don't need to drive both cars side to side to know they arent.

13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    F8 and Pista feel completely different though. Not saying one or other is better (leave others to argue that) but they feel very different - steering, chassis feel, overall feel. The Pista steering feels heavier and slower, the chassis seems harder core (not stiffer but less playful and more purposeful), the F8 has lovely steering feel and is lighter in terms of response, dances about more, playful but in a good way. Pista is a weapon (overused term but in this context seems right).

05F430F1, Ash Patel and WM458 like this.
  14. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    I am totally with you.
    Even members of the SCUDERIA, who organized and accompanied customer drive events on F8s this summer accross Eurupe, consider the F8 as being „too friendly“. I agree with them,
    I know the 488 and tested the F8: It is a perfectly working sportscar but „emotions“ got lost.
    Even though the F8 is a lot faster than the 488, I tend to like the latter one more!

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    What’s the definition of a stop gap? Even Mclaren pumps out new models faster than Ferrari and each of their successive models have increased power.
    Playing devil’s advocate, what If Ferrari stuck with their lineage of increasing HP (simple tune) on the F8 by say 20 HP?
    Still wouldn’t come close to the SF90 with near 1000 HP (realizing this is hybrid).

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #216 Gh21631, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Stop gap - A car to get them through the short term because the next model is not quite ready.

If you count the number of Ferrari models you will see who pumps them out faster. Its no comparison.

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Since 2012 Mclaren has had 12C/650S/675LT/720S/765LT and each of these will have a spider variant so 10 cars (However there were other variants sprinkled in like the high spec)

Ferrari has had 458/458S/488/488P/F8 and the corresponding spiders makes 10

That’s just the competing ranges.

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Implying that Ferrari rushed the F8 model out without normally developing this model all around (as in up’ing the power).
    I’m not trying to beat a dead horse here. F8 and Pista both phenomenal. Pista drives more raw, F8 blisteringly fast.
    I’m just disappointed that Ferrari rushed out a model as a “stop gap” against their normal lineage of creating phenomenal new cars.
    What did Enzo say is his favorite car?
    “....that which is yet to be built. The car which I have not created.”

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I am not sure they had a choice. I also believe they knew they were behind for some time on the next iteration. Easy enough to mod a 488 and then leverage the Pista drivetrain. This doesn't make it a bad car - it has the looks and performance.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m not sure it’s fair to imply Ferrari rushed the F8. I think it was certainly a surprise to some that the Pista didn’t end the range. Ferrari could have been working on the F8 for some time if they realized the hybrid wouldn’t be ready until 2022. I have no data to back this bc Ferrari never tells, but if the F8 is only made for 18 months, will there be roughly the same amount of Pistas and F8’s? Probably. Hardly makes the Pista a limited run special in the traditional sense.

05F430F1 likes this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Exactly, then add the other models - FF, Lusso, F12, 812, Porto, Roma, etc. Not to mention the special versions of each.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I guess technically Mclaren started with the MP4-12c so I missed one. Lusso is sort of a stand-alone, to be replaced by the horrendously named SUV. Mclaren (nor anyone else) make a car to compete. I suppose the Mclaren that would compete with the Portofino would be the GT? Not really a segment I’m interested in. Ferrari makes nothing to go head to head with the 570S and Mclaren makes nothing to go against the F12/812.

takeaway, they both make a lot of different types of cars.

Gh21631 likes this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Lamborghini followed a similiar strategy to Ferrari. Huracan ( 488 equivalent ) > Performante ( Pista) > EVO ( F8).

BCHOW and Gh21631 like this.
  24. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Listed Pista values seem to be holding at or slightly above MSRP while the first F-8's are 10-20k over.

25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In Europe Pista are now typically below MSRP but still more expensive than F8.
    F8 may still be slightly above but I guess it will not last; all in all I guess the Pista will stay noticeably above the F8 given the initial price difference and the perceived rarity - Pista is also (to some extent) objectively better than the F8 since it is lighter and has more downforce, however (this obviously depends on how money is valued) for cheap people like me the F8 is still better value for money than the Pista (my opinion is irrelevant though, because eventually I think the 488 GTB is even better value for money).