488 radio stopped working | FerrariChat

488 radio stopped working

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by howydo, May 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Ok so I just picked up my car 2 weeks ago and I love it. I have the upgraded JBL sound system. Everything was working great until this afternoon . I hand washed my car and when I finished and went for a ride no sound ! The radio will switch to different modes but not stations. I made sure it wasn't on mute and can see the volume indicator going up and down but no sound . I turned the car off and on and turned the radio off and on but still nothing . I did try hooking up to Bluetooth with my iPhone first with no sound. It's worked fine in the past . Any ideas ? Any way to do a hard reset ?

chrisrari likes this.
  2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Check the fuse. Take out and put back firmly if ok. Sometimes they get loose. If still doesnt work replace the fuse, it may be bad.

Replace if blown.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    These things have radios?

:)

4. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Where is fuse ?

5. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Wouldn't radio be completely out of it were the fuse. I can see it visually just no sound

6. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Mine did the exact same thing for one day last week. Able to switch sources but zero sound. The audio on voice control was working which was odd. I have the standard stereo. I parked in the garage and hooked up the battery charger overnight and in the morning it was fine. Must either be some JBL issue or the classic battery related weirdness that seams to be in the Ferrari blood?

chrisrari likes this.
  7. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    The sound may have been 'transferred' to the linked bluetooth device in error. The media control has to be one of the Achilles' heels of the 458. The interface is downright awful.

8. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    He's talking about a 488 not the 458. Its a totally new interface as it actually is great in comparison the 458 which I agree was awful. The bluetooth transfer thing is an interesting idea but I actually turned the bluetooth off thinking that might be an issue but it didn't correct it for me. I also tried turning the car off and on again etc. I would try plugging in the battery charger and seeing if it is fine tomorrow.

9. cpederse

cpederse Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    +1 ... Exact same thing has happened to me... All fine now...

10. kramsay1234

kramsay1234 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I guess I have this to look forward to as part of the fun of Italian car ownership. Let us know what ultimately corrects it. I was thinking for sure the Bluetooth.

11. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    No, already tried turning Bluetooth off too. I'll let it sit overnight and try it tomorrow otherwise maybe try plugging in battery charger. Good news it's brand new with full warrantee.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Where did you have the key when you were hand washing the car? I have a BMW that has keyless go and when I wash the car with my key in my pocket, the doors will often lock/unlock all the time. This caused the car to exhibit strange behavior like you are describing but in my case the car wouldn't even turn over- jumped it- brought it to the dealer and we found out the battery had bad cells and they gave me a new battery. I'm wondering given how sensitive Ferraris seem to be with low voltage if your car might have gone through a few lock/unlock cycles and if that would be enough to give it some hiccups? Now when I wash the car I put the key out of range.

13. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Key was in holder in car central tunnel

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'd be sure to keep the car plugged into the tender. I don't know which one they supply with the 488 but the one that came with my 458 was not strong enough to really add charge back to the battery. It might be worth investigating the specs on the tender...

15. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    New magnetic tender pretty cool. Haven't tried it yet but I will

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I keep my 458 plugged in at night. It's 3.5 hours to the dealer so a dead / low battery would be a major hassle fo me.

17. Mc11

Mc11 Karting

Jun 3, 2015
    Germany
    My 488 has the same problem with the radio 3 times. No radio sound, but traffic messages works.
    Last time I drove 230km (back from Nürburgring) and after 190km the radio sound was back.

18. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Sounds like a software update is needed. Seems to have happened to many times to too many people to be random.

19. Giallo77

Giallo77 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Switzerland
    My 488-radio stops working when I am opening the door - somebody knows how to turn this off? I couldn't find out...

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you haven't had it plugged in, you should. The magnetic connector sounds very interesting and pretty cool. I'd like to see that. I think you should have a look at the specs of the tender and also see if you can figure out what the car draws while its at rest. Modern Ferrari's are a little bit temperamental when they don't have full battery charge. If your car has a start stop system in it (HELE in Ferrari language) then if you look for another tender you should look for one that can handle AGM batteries. I've been using the CTek 7002 for years on my cars with no issues- and it has an AGM mode (it looks like a snowflake on this model) but I don't know as much for the new 488.

Giallo77 is the radio working when you are seated in the car and when you open the door to exit, then it stops? This would be normal.

21. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    My 2014 Porsche 911 TTS did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. Letting it sit over night fixed it. Weird.

22. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Same thing happened on our 2011 Boxster S. We were just starting out and wanted to listen to music. Turned off car. Pulled the audio fuse. Put back in and it worked and has continued to work for at least 3 years.

Never thought of letting sit overnight. Guess l am too impatient. ;)

23. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Update guys. I went to start the car up today after sitting over night without trickle charger and the radio is working again. Very strange . Let's hope it continues to work.

PTG1 likes this.
  24. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    So I guess it's not the battery thing that is so common in the brands previous cars. Must be some computer software fault. Certainly if it's happened to several people on this board there are hundreds more out there. Hopefully they will identify the fault and get it corrected. I'm actually happy to hear of so many cases. I'm no longer worried that I might have a problem gremlin in the electronics. Glad yours came back as mine did as well.

25. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I know in one case I had with my F12 and 458, somehow the Bluetooth connection got "hung up" - so the stereo ALWAYS thought it was on a call.

Removed phone, cleared bluetooth, rebooted and it worked.

Similar issue occurs where the car is turned off, but stereo system stays on (to complete the call).