488 Rear Wheel Fell Off!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Rear Wheel Fell Off!!!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Live Wire, Jun 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    I’ve also experienced loose lug nuts after tracking my 488. After having my right rear wheel start making a noise when driving back into the paddock, we checked the lug nuts and right rear could be turned by hand. After that, tightening after every session and noticing some loosening after each session, but only right rear. It’s a ccw track.

mrmanny599 likes this.
  2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes, you will have to LOWER the torque or risk reshaping the bolts/hub contact points or potentially stretching/stripping the bolts.

3. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Question: When they re-torqued the lugs each time at the track was it only the rear that was loose or was it all four wheels?

4. Live Wire

Live Wire Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL P.
    I just noticed that in the photo. It is an optical illusion, or something reflecting in the photo. The car body is perfect, no scratches. Just damage to the rim and brake rotor.

5. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    kussetimii and AClark like this.
  6. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Does this issue occur solely if you are tracking the car or does it also occur after simply using the car for neighborhood cruises ?
    It is crazy to me if you have to worry about and check how secure the lugs are every time you use the car.

mrmanny599 likes this.
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy Rookie

Oct 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Doug Glover
    I am a mechanic for a small race team. we have the 488 challenge car. a bit different of a setup as far as hubs go, but we had the same issue the other day. According to the other Ferrari race teams they are having trouble with the same wheel on the same side, but only that wheel. None of the other wheels are doing it. They are claiming that the alignment studs that go through the hub, rotor, and wheel loosen causing the wheel to not seat correctly on the rotor and hub. Not sure if you have those, but it might be worth a look.

spyderman, Rexcat458, PJxxx and 3 others like this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thanks for signing up and sharing your thoughts regarding this wheel issue!

9. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    Track only - If anyone here has recently been to Italy and have done anything track oriented you may not notice after every session there is someone there torquing the wheels when you come in.

10. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #35 rocketman, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Anyone know what the barcode on this OEM rim indicates ?
    Do all OEM Ferrari rims have this barcode or does it mean that the rim was repaired as I am being told ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. mrmanny599

mrmanny599 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Pm me

12. mrmanny599

mrmanny599 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    I heard of some one who it happen to and he never tracked his car

13. mrmanny599

mrmanny599 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Not true it happens of the track as well ...

14. mrmanny599

mrmanny599 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Time to start worrying.

15. mrmanny599

mrmanny599 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Nope

16. Cocar

Cocar Rookie

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Larry Winkler

17. Cocar

Cocar Rookie

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Larry Winkler
    Has Ferrari found an answer to this issue? Same thing happened to me and I have a 2018 488.
    Left rear wheel issues on this car far too common.

18. Cocar

Cocar Rookie

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Larry Winkler
    Not alone and damage to vehicles is costly. Luckily haven’t read about anyone hurt yet.

19. Live Wire

Live Wire Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL P.
    Can you give more details?
    Which wheel, did it fall off or just loose, were you tracking the car and did the wheels get torqued between sessions? Oh and which manettino setting?

20. Cocar

Cocar Rookie

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Larry Winkler
    Went to track maybe 8 laps on a short track stopped got water went back out did 2-3 laps thought I had a flat pulled over car was sitting on wheel and all5 lug nuts where within 50 ft I did not torque nuts first it was the left rear wheel. The car was in race mode , the car was serviced two weeks earlier

21. Live Wire

Live Wire Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL P.
    Holy crap that is scary!
    That is very close to my experience. Same wheel. All lugs came off together.
    Marinello thought it was from the traction control but it has not happened since.
    I torque them myself now after each session.

22. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #47 rocketman, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Search ...."Meaning of barcode on Ferrari OEM rim".
    Had a similar experience but without question due to human error by a sponsor on this site.
    Be careful who you let work on your car.
    Nothing further to say about it.....it's all summed up in that thread.

23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Anyone find a solution to this issue?

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    On my 458 and my 488, I ran Titanium lug bolts. I torqued them all down to 74 foot lbs, using a torque wrench and never had any issues. Make sure you use a star pattern when you apply torque and also it's generally best to do it with the car jacked up a bit, so the weight is off the wheel/tire being secured. Do not use any oil or anti-seize on the threads.

Put about 1000 miles on my 488, before I sold it. Prior to taking it to the dealer, I removed the Ti bolts. They were still plenty tight.

Something to keep in mind, if you torque bolts, then "re-torque" them, generally you are upping the installed torque. The proper way to verify torque is to loosen the bolts, then re-torque them to the proper specs. Simply applying more and more torque (without backing things off in-between) is a recipe for pulled threads.

In fact, I would check your car to see if the threads where the lug bolts go are okay. I'm not sure if the person torquing your wheels down was using an impact gun or a torque bar or an actual calibrated hand torque wrench. Myself, I usually use either a digital torque wrench or a break-at-torque style when it comes to the lug bolts.

Ray

25. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Absolutely....Don't let incompetent wannabe mechanics work on your car, wind up ruining your $300k+ car and risk your life in the process like I unfortunately experienced.

Reference: