488 run its course? | FerrariChat

488 run its course?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Cyrek, Jul 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cyrek

Cyrek Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    So I heard from a friend that works for Ferrari.....oh I can hear how this is starting already. I heard there is a real possibility that Ferrari is going to end the 488 run with the 2019. Obviously I don’t know this for a fact but my contact has always had good info and doesn’t talk sh*t. If that were the case sometime by say June 2019 we would possibly see a replacement car which I’m number 5 on the list for by the way, however this is just talk but wouldn’t that be an interesting turn of events for those of us that concern ourselves such trivial matters? Food for thought :)

TheDiffuser likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    No doubt already covered in the 488 replacement thread !

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Do you have a link for that? Which post number?

I’m about to pull the trigger on a spider and if 2019 is the last year, I would probably just keep the gtb till the new model comes out.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/488-replacement.570048/

Don't forget the usual deal seems to be for a car to get launched one year with a few deliveries into Europe that calendar year and US deliveries to begin mid-the next year with one model year effectively skipped and then the spider comes a year or two later so MY 2022 or 2023 (and some crossover previous model Spider in the interim)

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Of course it must be true since I always get the last model and suffer massive depreciation

6. m3the01

m3the01 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009
    Hampton, NH
    Aww, so cute... Giving u a hard time. Yes the replacement is coming and yes ur #5 on the list and you will be in fact bumped down the list unless you have bought numerous brand new ferraris in the past, no, used doesn't count.

Im number one but dealer has been cool and said that as years past I will.be bumped and to expect near the end of the first year to middle of the second year for the coup... I've also been told there will be three engine options with the V8 being released first.

Fun times,

7. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Lol... Being number x on the list for certain model, especially the future upcoming model, is indubitously one of the most asinine games the dealer love to play and prey on our desire as car enthusiasts.

I strongly suggest stop listening to them. Without knowing how many people there will be for an unknown model in the future just does not make sense at all logically.

Melvok likes this.
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    How reliable ae car dealers ? :D

9. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    202o model in Europe is my guess.

11. Cyrek

Cyrek Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    Only Ferrari knows I guess but it would be interesting. I want to see a spy shot of something you’d think if 19 was the last year of the 458/488 era we’d have seen some glimpse of something by now....right?

12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Man, hard to believe they would do a 4 year run?

13. bearmdjd

bearmdjd Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    Pistas are going into 2020 production so this doesn’t make sense.

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    It’s a well established cycle and in theory the new car will arrive late 2020 as a 2021 model year. There probably will be a minimal number of 488 GTB and spider built in 2020 due to the Pista.and Aperta. The only thing that could change that is the Euro emissions legislation changes which are significant and could impact the tail of 488 production. This would foreshorten Pista too though.

15. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Ferrari does that it’s part of their cycle. 4 years and 5 years on and off.

Here’s an old article talking about it: https://www.motor1.com/news/22372/new-ferrari-four-year-product-life-cycle-announced-new-model-every-year/

Interesting quote from the CEO of Ferrari:

"We are doing hybrids because if we don't there will be no more Ferrari," he said. "We are forced by fuel consumption and CO2 rules. We will have to do other things too, aerodynamics and lightweight, because hybrid isn't enough. But it's not under discussion to change the character of a Ferrari. We won't lose performance."

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Exactly.